Atheists in Foxholes? Apparently quite a few!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-05-2011, 07:58 AM
Atheists in Foxholes? Apparently quite a few!
Some interesting findings in military religious surveys coupled with my experience with the recently concluded National Day of Prayer held all over the DC area...

In case you missed it, May 5th was the National Day of Prayer. Events were held all over the Nation’s capital throughout government buildings including the Pentagon – which amazingly hosted multiple events to celebrate the “day” of prayer over three days.

Full article follows.

http://centersolid.blogspot.com/2011/05/...ts-in.html

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-05-2011, 08:50 PM
RE: Atheists in Foxholes? Apparently quite a few!
I think it's important for atheists to speak up. The non-religious make up roughly 15% of America(and I believe is listed as the second-largest religious position), just we are so well ignored. If we accept that 10% of the population is gay, that means for every two gays, there's three atheists(ignoring cross-contamination). And yet judging by our voice in the social and political arena atheists seem to be so much smaller of the population. And in many areas(the military being evidently one of them), our number are even higher. So that guy calling you an evangelical atheist is full of it.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
11-05-2011, 12:17 PM
A Canadian soldier who had recently returned from Afghanistan sneezed in my car one day and I (automatically) said, "Bless you." His immediate response was, "No need to; it's just biology."

I haven't said "bless you" to any sneezers since then.

The way to see by Faith, is to shut the eye of Reason. - Ben Franklin
[+] 4 users Like hotrodmike's post
13-04-2012, 03:50 PM
I was going to start a thread, but decided to revive this one instead.

I don't understand the saying "no atheists in fox holes".

-Are they saying that atheists are less likely to join the military than religious people?
-Or is it that the religious are more likely to be in a protective position "foxhole" than the atheist? But wouldn't the atheist be more likely to be in a protective position than the religious - since the religious is more likely to take the notion of "spiritual armor" literally?
13-04-2012, 04:32 PM
(13-04-2012 03:50 PM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  I was going to start a thread, but decided to revive this one instead.

I don't understand the saying "no atheists in fox holes".

-Are they saying that atheists are less likely to join the military than religious people?
-Or is it that the religious are more likely to be in a protective position "foxhole" than the atheist? But wouldn't the atheist be more likely to be in a protective position than the religious - since the religious is more likely to take the notion of "spiritual armor" literally?

No, neither of those. The implicit assertion is that when the shit hits the fan and we are faced with our own mortality we will invariably convert and Come to Sweet Baby Jebus. What they fail to appreciate in that assertion is that atheists are experts at facing their own mortality. We do it every day. They are the novices.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
14-04-2012, 09:08 AM
Back when the U.S. had the draft, religious conscientious objectors, seminary students and clergymen could get exemptions from military service. Religious beliefs helped to keep those guys from going into foxholes in the first place.
14-04-2012, 03:26 PM (This post was last modified: 14-04-2012 03:30 PM by GirlyMan.)
(14-04-2012 09:08 AM)advancedatheist Wrote:  Back when the U.S. had the draft, religious conscientious objectors, seminary students and clergymen could get exemptions from military service. Religious beliefs helped to keep those guys from going into foxholes in the first place.

You could get a deferment just by enrolling in University. Wouldn't want any of our smart fuckers put in harm's way. ... Talk about one fucked up system. No wonder they call it Selective Service. BTW, my boys still have to register for the draft even today.

17-04-2012, 09:40 AM
I have been serving in the US Army for over ten years, and I am a member of the Military Association of Atheists and Freethinkers. They have a list of us that have volunteered our information called Atheists In Foxholes. I get quite upset over the expression "no atheists in foxholes" because to me it implies that under severe distress or threat of death, that I would throw away my reason and cling to Jesus or god.

I'll let all the believers know that myself, and the few nonbelievers I do know, never felt a need to cower and pray for fear we might lose our lives. The idea, even in the hairiest of situations, never came to my mind. It does say a whole lot about believers though. The idea that someone would think "there are no Atheists in foxholes" shows that person's insecurity with mortality. They need to believe that in the end we all believe too, or the salvation story doesn't work.
[+] 3 users Like arbmouser's post
17-04-2012, 06:23 PM (This post was last modified: 17-04-2012 06:31 PM by GirlyMan.)
(17-04-2012 09:40 AM)arbmouser Wrote:  I have been serving in the US Army for over ten years, and I am a member of the Military Association of Atheists and Freethinkers.

Who do I want with me in a foxhole or firefight? Some pussy who believes that if he gets offed today he will wake up in some magical mystical DisneyWorld. Or some bad ass Rambo atheist who says "DUDE! IF WE DON'T FUCKING FIGHT OUR WAY OUT OF THIS FUCKING SHIT RIGHT FUCKING NOW WE'RE FUCKING GONERS!" Feels like a no-brainer to me.

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
18-04-2012, 04:21 AM
I don't think I want to be in a war situation and have to wait for a comrade to say a prayer before fighting back. Seems that if prayer worked if would have stopped the war in the first place.

"Scuse me, Mr. Enemy, please hold your fire while my friend here calls for help from his god. Thanks for your cooperation."

Reminds me of the "As long as there are tests, there will be prayer in school." crap. If you didn't study and don't know the material, praying for divine intervention isn't gonna help.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF