Atheists in the military: Roll call

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-09-2013, 08:07 AM
Atheists in the military: Roll call
Just want to see who our current and former military members are. Share a quick background of your service and what (if any) atheist related issues you've had with the military.

I've been in for a little over 13 years - 6 years active duty Air Force, a few years as part-time Air National Guard, and the rest as a full-time Guard member. However, I've only been an atheist for a little over one year.

I'm currently in Utah, which presents it's own challenges. Most of my upper management is Mormon, though I really haven't had any problems with them. Yet. My former boss is an atheist and was partially responsible for me leaving the faith.

Being an atheist in the military isn't simple. What kind of experiences have you folks had?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-11-2013, 09:12 AM
Re: Atheists in the military: Roll call
Nobody?
03-11-2013, 09:56 AM
RE: Atheists in the military: Roll call
Well, my husband was career military, Air Force. He was an atheist since he was a kid. He didn't much talk about his service, but he did say he just didn't engage in religious conversations there and avoided the whole bit.

Unfortunately I can't ask him for details anymore, he passed away.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
03-11-2013, 10:15 AM
I was in the Army in the early 80s. The only thing I recall regarding religion is that Atheist wasn't a choice on the forms. My dogtags read Catholic cause you had to pick something, don't know if that's changed now or not.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
03-11-2013, 12:29 PM
(03-11-2013 10:15 AM)Anjele Wrote:  I was in the Army in the early 80s. The only thing I recall regarding religion is that Atheist wasn't a choice on the forms. My dogtags read Catholic cause you had to pick something, don't know if that's changed now or not.

I was in the Navy in the early 80's. And I also remember there was no option for atheism as a religion. My dogtags read NO PREF. Think that's changed now and ATHEIST and HUMANIST are both options now.

That said, I was an open atheist in the USN and never experienced any discrimination. Discrimination of any kind just wasn't tolerated. Hinders efficiency. But I have heard stories from others who had a different experience than mine.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
03-11-2013, 04:18 PM
One mandatory year in the army ,infantry , no problems because of atheism. Following orders...different matter.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 1 user Likes Slowminded's post
06-11-2013, 07:35 AM
(10-09-2013 08:07 AM)Godless Ute Wrote:  Just want to see who our current and former military members are. Share a quick background of your service and what (if any) atheist related issues you've had with the military.

I've been in for a little over 13 years - 6 years active duty Air Force, a few years as part-time Air National Guard, and the rest as a full-time Guard member. However, I've only been an atheist for a little over one year.

I'm currently in Utah, which presents it's own challenges. Most of my upper management is Mormon, though I really haven't had any problems with them. Yet. My former boss is an atheist and was partially responsible for me leaving the faith.

Being an atheist in the military isn't simple. What kind of experiences have you folks had?

I'm also in the Air Force(active duty) out in Maryland. Been in about 3 years now and I'm originally from Mississippi so guess how long I've been out about being an atheist...3 years lol. I've never really had a problem from the military with religion or someone judging me badly for it.
[+] 1 user Likes MrKrispy601's post
06-11-2013, 09:43 AM
(06-11-2013 07:35 AM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  
(10-09-2013 08:07 AM)Godless Ute Wrote:  Just want to see who our current and former military members are. Share a quick background of your service and what (if any) atheist related issues you've had with the military.

I'm also in the Air Force(active duty) out in Maryland. Been in about 3 years now and I'm originally from Mississippi so guess how long I've been out about being an atheist...3 years lol. I've never really had a problem from the military with religion or someone judging me badly for it.

Yup us godless liberals tend to corrupt everyone we get our evil little hooks into. Smile Welcome to the forum.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
06-11-2013, 05:11 PM
(06-11-2013 07:35 AM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  I'm also in the Air Force(active duty) out in Maryland. Been in about 3 years now and I'm originally from Mississippi so guess how long I've been out about being an atheist...3 years lol. I've never really had a problem from the military with religion or someone judging me badly for it.

Howdy howdy ho, neighbor. There are a few other Peoples Republic of Marylanders here (Revenant and Tartarus Sauce) but think you're the first other than Girly to be in PG County. Thumbsup

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
07-11-2013, 08:01 AM
(06-11-2013 05:11 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(06-11-2013 07:35 AM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  I'm also in the Air Force(active duty) out in Maryland. Been in about 3 years now and I'm originally from Mississippi so guess how long I've been out about being an atheist...3 years lol. I've never really had a problem from the military with religion or someone judging me badly for it.

Howdy howdy ho, neighbor. There are a few other Peoples Republic of Marylanders here (Revenant and Tartarus Sauce) but think you're the first other than Girly to be in PG County. Thumbsup

Good to know there are a few other locals on here!