Atheists in the military: Roll call

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-11-2013, 06:51 AM
RE: Atheists in the military: Roll call
(10-09-2013 08:07 AM)Godless Ute Wrote:  Just want to see who our current and former military members are. Share a quick background of your service and what (if any) atheist related issues you've had with the military.

I've been in for a little over 13 years - 6 years active duty Air Force, a few years as part-time Air National Guard, and the rest as a full-time Guard member. However, I've only been an atheist for a little over one year.

I'm currently in Utah, which presents it's own challenges. Most of my upper management is Mormon, though I really haven't had any problems with them. Yet. My former boss is an atheist and was partially responsible for me leaving the faith.

Being an atheist in the military isn't simple. What kind of experiences have you folks had?

Howdy, and welcome to the forum!

Since you asked...I spent five years Active Duty Navy, and now I'm in the Navy Reserve...been in the Reserves for about a year and a half now. My lack of belief has played only the smallest of roles in my military career. Had a senior officer who I felt was giving higher evals to church members and felt uncomfortable at inappropriate religious based services I had to attend, mostly dealing with death of comrades.

Don't have much Air Force experience outside of serving with a couple of chAir Force dudes in Afghanistan. Tongue

Hope to see ya round.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply