Atheists know more about religion than theists?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-09-2010, 01:59 AM

Atheists know more about religion than theists?
The Sam Harris Facebook page sent out this link recently:

http://nyti.ms/cDUqWM

with an article that suggests atheists know more about religion than theists. I hope the link works for a while.

Anyway, as with all surveys, methodological issues are probably there, but it's a damned interesting result. Of theists, the ones who knew the most about religion were Jews and Mormons.
Quote this message in a reply
28-09-2010, 08:16 AM

RE: Atheists know more about religion than theists?
I'm not really surprised.. (Someone should go check on Fox News, there might have been a mass-suicide..)

I honestly can't count the times I've mentioned something that is in the bible, only to get the response that "You atheists are liars, that isn't in there!" and then providing the EXACT book and verse.
It doesn't make much sense to me, if you are going to base your life off of something, wouldn't knowing all you can about it be the smart thing to do?
28-09-2010, 02:42 PM

(28-09-2010 08:16 AM)inkracer Wrote:  I'm not really surprised.. (Someone should go check on Fox News, there might have been a mass-suicide..)

I honestly can't count the times I've mentioned something that is in the bible, only to get the response that "You atheists are liars, that isn't in there!" and then providing the EXACT book and verse.
It doesn't make much sense to me, if you are going to base your life off of something, wouldn't knowing all you can about it be the smart thing to do?

I do respect the atheists on this forum for their passion and thirst for knowledge. I would say that they are near the top in "head knowledge" of the Bible (i.e., the words that are printed in it). It's their interpretation I don't agree with, but hey I respect them for their passion. I just wish so called Christians had the same passion. The hypocrisy in the christian church is unacceptable and a huge turn off to outsiders.
28-09-2010, 04:19 PM
I don't know any theists who actually read the bible. It's pretty odd, but in every conversation about it I know more than anyone I know.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-09-2010, 08:46 PM

I read about this through LA Times (I was looking for another article, mind you). It is easy to believe. If you are not religious, you'd think that you would provide good reasons to not be. Plus there are many religious people out there trying to convince you that you should join up; why not understand before making the leap. It is so bizarre when people who ARE part of a religious following tend not to research what they preach or provide some knowledgeable backbone to on what they are committing themselves to.
28-09-2010, 11:56 PM
(28-09-2010 02:42 PM)BarleyMcFlexo Wrote:  I do respect the atheists on this forum for their passion and thirst for knowledge. I would say that they are near the top in "head knowledge" of the Bible (i.e., the words that are printed in it). It's their interpretation I don't agree with, but hey I respect them for their passion. I just wish so called Christians had the same passion.

A lot of atheists, me included, became atheists because our thirst for knowledge. There are many cases of people, including at least a few priests, who decided to read the bible in depth because they wanted to know more about god and become more aligned with god. This detailed exploration of the bible resulted in their rejection of the bible and turning to atheism. This is one reason why atheists know more about the bible than christians do.
29-09-2010, 07:41 AM
I think this is the same quiz, or at least a similar one.

http://features.pewforum.org/quiz/us-rel...knowledge/

I got 14 out of 15 - I missed one that I should have gotten and guessed on one that I didn't know, so it evens out. I found this quiz surprisingly simple - it's multiple choice and really pretty basic. Not to insult anyone that scores poorly, but I'm shocked that I scored better than approximately 97% of the population.

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
29-09-2010, 07:49 AM

(29-09-2010 07:41 AM)TheSixthGlass Wrote:  I think this is the same quiz, or at least a similar one.

http://features.pewforum.org/quiz/us-rel...knowledge/

I got 14 out of 15 - I missed one that I should have gotten and guessed on one that I didn't know, so it evens out. I found this quiz surprisingly simple - it's multiple choice and really pretty basic. Not to insult anyone that scores poorly, but I'm shocked that I scored better than approximately 97% of the population.

I scored 15 out of 15, better than 99%. I guessed on a couple though.
29-09-2010, 08:17 AM
I also got 14 out of 15
29-09-2010, 08:27 AM

14 out of 15 for me, too.