Atheists know more about religion than theists?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-09-2010, 08:29 AM

RE: Atheists know more about religion than theists?
I know I only got one more question correct, but I'm starting to get a big head..
Tongue
Quote this message in a reply
29-09-2010, 08:34 AM
14 out of 15 here too. The one I missed, I knew it was not one choice, but wasn't sure between the other two options. So I had a 50/50 shot at getting them all.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-09-2010, 08:54 AM

14/15. I felt the test was mostly irrelevant for me as a Christian. I do not need to know Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam, Mormonism, etc. All I need to know is that it is contrary to Christianity to ignore it.
29-09-2010, 09:21 AM

(29-09-2010 08:54 AM)BarleyMcFlexo Wrote:  14/15. I felt the test was mostly irrelevant for me as a Christian. I do not need to know Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam, Mormonism, etc. All I need to know is that it is contrary to Christianity to ignore it.

I think it always helps to know the tenets of the religions you reject better than the ones you espouse. That way you know you've fully explored all possible avenues to god.
29-09-2010, 09:27 AM

(29-09-2010 09:21 AM)athnostic Wrote:  
(29-09-2010 08:54 AM)BarleyMcFlexo Wrote:  14/15. I felt the test was mostly irrelevant for me as a Christian. I do not need to know Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam, Mormonism, etc. All I need to know is that it is contrary to Christianity to ignore it.

I think it always helps to know the tenets of the religions you reject better than the ones you espouse. That way you know you've fully explored all possible avenues to god.

As I just told a friend, I'll learn all I can about all religions. That way, when I call them bullshit, I have reasons to back up my claim. Ignoring them does nothing.
29-09-2010, 10:38 AM

I agree to a certain extent. It is important to know other religions but once I've determined for myself that they are false, I believe I should not spend more time on them as I have so much to learn about what I do believe. But I really do see your point, Athnostic.
29-09-2010, 03:28 PM
(28-09-2010 02:42 PM)BarleyMcFlexo Wrote:  I do respect the atheists on this forum for their passion and thirst for knowledge. I would say that they are near the top in "head knowledge" of the Bible (i.e., the words that are printed in it). It's their interpretation I don't agree with, but hey I respect them for their passion.

I have to disagree with you in one respect. I don't believe that many atheists interpret the Bible at all. We read what is written. It's the religious people who interpret things to make an Iron-Age text full of Bronze-Age ideas acceptable to modern society. Atheists read the Bible as an Iron-Age text, in the context of it's age, just as we also read the New Testament in the context of Imperial Rome. Anybody studying Hesiod's Theogony would read it in the context of Ancient Greek city-states, so why should the Bible be read any differently?

Just a side note: There is such a thing as reading too deeply, or too abstractly into a text, which is a problem that many undergrad students of literature encounter. I think this may be one of the problems that modern Christians face as well.

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
29-09-2010, 04:00 PM

(29-09-2010 10:38 AM)BarleyMcFlexo Wrote:  

I agree to a certain extent. It is important to know other religions but once I've determined for myself that they are false, I believe I should not spend more time on them as I have so much to learn about what I do believe. But I really do see your point, Athnostic.

And how do you go about determining that they are false? What methodology do you apply? Or is there no methodology at all, and you approach it from a default Christian position?
29-09-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:And how do you go about determining that they are false? What methodology do you apply? Or is there no methodology at all, and you approach it from a default Christian position?

For Christian denominations, I use the Bible. If the teachings of the denomination go against the Bible, I consider them false.

For non-Christian religions, I can also do the same thing, but most of the time they crumble under their own weight (contradictions, proven errors, etc.). So I guess I use the same methodology as you do. Only difference is that I don't believe the Bible is false, has contradictions, errors, etc. That and I believe in God. Smile
29-09-2010, 07:21 PM
(29-09-2010 07:07 PM)BarleyMcFlexo Wrote:  For non-Christian religions, I can also do the same thing, but most of the time they crumble under their own weight (contradictions, proven errors, etc.). So I guess I use the same methodology as you do. Only difference is that I don't believe the Bible is false, has contradictions, errors, etc. That and I believe in God. Smile

How can you not see the hypocracy of this? The bible is full of contradictions, errors etc. Many contradictions are blatant. It's like handing me a glass of water and saying that you don't believe it's wet, so it must not be.

So many cats, so few good recipes.