Atheists know more about religion than theists?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-09-2010, 07:58 PM

RE: Atheists know more about religion than theists?
(29-09-2010 07:21 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(29-09-2010 07:07 PM)BarleyMcFlexo Wrote:  For non-Christian religions, I can also do the same thing, but most of the time they crumble under their own weight (contradictions, proven errors, etc.). So I guess I use the same methodology as you do. Only difference is that I don't believe the Bible is false, has contradictions, errors, etc. That and I believe in God. Smile

How can you not see the hypocracy of this? The bible is full of contradictions, errors etc. Many contradictions are blatant. It's like handing me a glass of water and saying that you don't believe it's wet, so it must not be.

I've seen the list of contradictions, and there are none that can be 100% proven, and many can be explained quite easily. Many perceived contradictions are due to missing information that is assumed, or due to lack of understanding. I even grant that there are some translation errors (~0.5%, but I believe it is perfect in the original languages). Please do not ask me go through each one, because I will not. I don't have that kind of time on my hands.
Quote this message in a reply
29-09-2010, 09:18 PM

(29-09-2010 07:07 PM)BarleyMcFlexo Wrote:  For Christian denominations, I use the Bible. If the teachings of the denomination go against the Bible, I consider them false.

How do you know the bible is true? That's not exactly an objective frame of reference.

I would liken this to saying that, as a muslim, you dismiss christianity because it contradicts the Koran. The Koran is true because you believe in Allah. You believe in Allah because he's mentioned in the Koran. Anyone see a logical problem here?
30-09-2010, 12:19 AM (This post was last modified: 30-09-2010 12:34 AM by No J..)
10 out of 15.
(29-09-2010 07:58 PM)BarleyMcFlexo Wrote:  I've seen the list of contradictions, and there are none that can be 100% proven, and many can be explained quite easily. Many perceived contradictions are due to missing information that is assumed, or due to lack of understanding. I even grant that there are some translation errors (~0.5%, but I believe it is perfect in the original languages).

There is nothing in the bible that can be proven more than the fact it is over-run with platant contradictions. I am absolutely amazed that you cannot see them for what they are. If a scientist approached any analysis and conclusion with a bias like, that project would be an incredible failure.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-09-2010, 02:22 AM

(30-09-2010 12:19 AM)No J. Wrote:  10 out of 15.
(29-09-2010 07:58 PM)BarleyMcFlexo Wrote:  I've seen the list of contradictions, and there are none that can be 100% proven, and many can be explained quite easily. Many perceived contradictions are due to missing information that is assumed, or due to lack of understanding. I even grant that there are some translation errors (~0.5%, but I believe it is perfect in the original languages).

There is nothing in the bible that can be proven more than the fact it is over-run with platant contradictions. I am absolutely amazed that you cannot see them for what they are. If a scientist approached any analysis and conclusion with a bias like, that project would be an incredible failure.

Unlike scientific hypotheses, which can't be 'proven' in the way of logical argument, contradictions can be 'proven' in an absolutely incontrovertible fashion. When your god says "Do Not Kill!" and then proceeds to wipe out almost all life on Earth just because he's pissed off - what more 'proof' of a contradiction do you need?

It's indicative of a closed mind, when you say such things in defense of the indefensible. You put a barrier in front of your mind and say "I don't see the contradiction." You may indeed not see the contradiction - nonetheless, it is there for all to see.
30-09-2010, 12:24 PM
Genesis II contradicts Genesis I. End of story.
30-09-2010, 09:00 PM
(30-09-2010 12:24 PM)gamutman Wrote:  Genesis II contradicts Genesis I. End of story.

2,000 years of serious debate summed up in one sentance. You can't cut to the chase any faster than that.
01-10-2010, 09:54 AM
And it has the added benefit of being absolutely incontrovertibly true.
19-10-2010, 08:10 AM
I just wanted to point out that the statement, "Atheists know more about religion than Theists," isn't actually supported by this study. Mormons and Jews (Theists both) scored as high as Atheists and Agnostics.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
19-10-2010, 06:12 PM
(29-09-2010 07:07 PM)BarleyMcFlexo Wrote:  
Quote:And how do you go about determining that they are false? What methodology do you apply? Or is there no methodology at all, and you approach it from a default Christian position?

For Christian denominations, I use the Bible. If the teachings of the denomination go against the Bible, I consider them false.

For non-Christian religions, I can also do the same thing, but most of the time they crumble under their own weight (contradictions, proven errors, etc.). So I guess I use the same methodology as you do. Only difference is that I don't believe the Bible is false, has contradictions, errors, etc. That and I believe in God. Smile

With all due respect my friend, I find this statement a little bit arrogant, how can you prove that the bible which is 100% man-made has the ultimate knowledge while other man-made so called sacred texts dont? For me its the typical "I'm right and you are wrong" sentence, what kind of logic do you use when you say; "For non-Christian religions, I can also do the same thing, but most of the time they crumble under their own weight (contradictions, proven errors, etc.)." if the bible itself crumbles under its own weight? And then pulling the "You dont understand the bible" defensive argument in order to give a rational approach to something that is irrational like the bible, sorry but I cannot agree with this. Peace.

"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world.”
-Georgia Harkness.

"La fe es patrimonio de los pendejos. (Faith is patrimony of the dumbfucks)."
-Diego Rivera
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-10-2010, 09:18 AM

(19-10-2010 08:10 AM)Ghost Wrote:  I just wanted to point out that the statement, "Atheists know more about religion than Theists," isn't actually supported by this study. Mormons and Jews (Theists both) scored as high as Atheists and Agnostics.

Point taken - although mormons and jews are a decided minority in the US among theists. But you're quite correct. So the title of the thread should be "Atheists know more about religion than most Theists"!