Atheists know more about religion than theists?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-10-2010, 07:10 PM
RE: Atheists know more about religion than theists?
Of course it makes perfect sense that certain groups that have rejected religious beliefs have a better knowledge of religion.

You can't reject something unless you know what it is? Why should this be a surprise?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-10-2010, 01:05 AM
(24-10-2010 07:10 PM)Godless Wrote:  You can't reject something unless you know what it is? Why should this be a surprise?

My problem with this statement is the fact that many religious people reject evolution, and they know nothing about it. This implies that there are cases of both informed rejection and uninformed rejection.
25-10-2010, 06:48 AM
That is I think a valid criticism.

Except there is one major difference. Not all Christians actively reject evolution. In fact the vast majority of them believe in evolution. Even the pope believes in evolution.

That and what these Christians are rejecting has never really been evolution. They are rejecting what they perceive to be evolution.

Meanwhile ALL atheists reject religion as a truth. To have such a spontaneous rejection of something is a different playing field altogether. I daresay that you can disbelieve evolution all you like but in day to day life it won't affect you so much.

Religious truth on the other hand is such a large part of our day to day lives in most societies that it's impossible to escape confrontation from it's rejection at which point you need to know how to defend yourself.

Rejection in light of a daily interaction with what you are rejecting is a different situation then rejection of a fact not required for day to day life.
26-10-2010, 12:15 AM
(25-10-2010 06:48 AM)Godless Wrote:  Religious truth on the other hand is such a large part of our day to day lives in most societies that it's impossible to escape confrontation from it's rejection at which point you need to know how to defend yourself.

If you reword that to "religious dogma" I will agree with you. The reason that I am a strong atheist is because I haven't found a shred of "religious truth" in over a decade of looking. I have come to the conclusion that there isn't any.
26-10-2010, 08:11 PM
A good correction I think Religious Dogma is more accurate to the point I was trying to make. That's what I get for posting without a cup of coffee. Smile

Thanks for the correction.
27-10-2010, 12:55 AM
I almost never come to this form before I have had a coffee.

My sister once had a poster that said "I can't do anything right until I've smoked a coffee and had a cup of cigarette." She didn't smoke, she just thought the poster was funny.