Atheists, like other minorities, struggle to overcome stereotypes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-05-2012, 08:22 AM
Atheists, like other minorities, struggle to overcome stereotypes
http://theunconverted.com/atheists-like-...ereotypes/

This is why I feel so compelled to be outspoken about being an atheist and a skeptic.

There are so many people out there that simply have no real perspective on what an atheistic person is like in real life. So many misconceptions. So many nonsense stereotypes.

And the sooner that we dismantle these stereotypes within the mainstream theist community, the sooner that atheism and skepticism will be an acceptable societal norm (e.g. atheist politicians, atheist CEOs, atheist teachers, atheist doctors, etc.).

P.S. I think Fry is onto something...

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes lightninlives's post
22-05-2012, 09:01 AM
RE: Atheists, like other minorities, struggle to overcome stereotypes
No doubt. We are the most reviled group in the country. I think mainly because we have yet to form an effective political and activist arm, similar to the NAACP or GLAAD. Also it takes time to break prejudices.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 1 user Likes Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
22-05-2012, 09:32 AM
(22-05-2012 09:01 AM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  No doubt. We are the most reviled group in the country. I think mainly because we have yet to form an effective political and activist arm, similar to the NAACP or GLAAD. Also it takes time to break prejudices.
Time and action/activism have proven to be a good combination in the past.

I am the unconverted
[+] 1 user Likes lightninlives's post
22-05-2012, 09:36 AM
But but... I like eating baby sandwiches and committing sodomy to strangers. I like worshiping the devil, and plotting the demise of western civilization. What the fuck am I going to do with my time if I can't be evil and slowly but surely destroy Christian values and god produced morality? I am so much better than everybody and smarter too.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like lucradis's post
22-05-2012, 09:48 AM
(22-05-2012 09:36 AM)lucradis Wrote:  I am so much better than everybody and smarter too.
Well, sure. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
22-05-2012, 03:30 PM
I think being self-confident in social situation about atheist's issues is where atheism best grows. All theist's lies just come back on the liar
I would caution one thing, I don't believe we can put Atheists in with the type of discrimination that other minorities (African American, Women, Jews) have experienced over the centuries. Yes, some atheist were burned at the stake, but we could always lie about our beliefs to save our asses. It's kind of difficult to turn yourself white so that you could get a motel room in Alabama in 1960 or sit at the front of the bus.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 2 users Like Thomas's post
22-05-2012, 07:09 PM
Hey, Carlo.

Quote:We are the most reviled group in the country.

Uhm, hi, MUSLIMS! Do Atheists get pulled off of planes for FWA? (Flying While Arab) Hell, Muslims are a Godsend to black people. We're finally off the bottom of the pile lol.

Hey, Light.

Yeah, it's a bit of a perfect storm. Millions of people have just never been exposed to Atheism (I recently disclosed that I was an Agnostic to a group studying diversity and they were like,"WTF is an Agnostic lol). So that lack of exposure is a breeding ground for sterotypes. Toss onto the fire the gasoline of a vitriolic right wing Evangelical fear mongering group and it's just an absolute conflagration of Atheistophobia.

I say go for it. Live proud and out loud. Let people get to know you.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
[+] 1 user Likes Ghost's post
22-05-2012, 07:47 PM
(22-05-2012 07:09 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Hell, Muslims are a Godsend to black people. We're finally off the bottom of the pile lol.
That shit literally made me laugh out loud

(I'm an Argentinan-Dominican and when I checked my genetic heritage via 23andme.com I found out that I have African and Middle Eastern lineage).

I am the unconverted
23-05-2012, 07:13 AM
[Image: percent-no-religion-by-age.gif?w=557&...p;amp;as=1]

This is from our last census. Give it 40years and that graph will look very much the same except the percent scale will be 40% higher.

I have faith and thus no need to be out spoken. (Plus nobody cares here, not like the US where people will literally lynch you).

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post