Atheists living in highly religious places

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-04-2012, 09:38 AM
Atheists living in highly religious places
Wasn't sure exactly where to put this.

Anyway, I just had a question for all of you. What exactly do you do when you live in a fundamentalist church based area (they claim they have upwards of 5000 members attending at one point or another--1/4 the population of my county), jobs are based on who you know, and you have to "smile and nod" when people say anything religious so they don't think you aren't (bad things could happen) when involving the following items:

1) Relationships
2) Finding different work

Now I can somewhat fake beliefs in things as for one I was a "member" of the fundamentalist church of Christ when my minister father made us attend it (tons of "neat" stories there), a brief time in a private Lutheran church school when younger, and attending a Catholic university was useful in other senses--I was actually atheist before I attended. In reality I was probably an atheist when I was in second or third grade [I told my parents that Santa Claus wasn't real when I was in first grade or a bit earlier]), only I wasn't aware of it, and had to force myself to think it's true, even though I didn't believe it.

But it raises the question in me of what to do when meeting someone to date (it's been 15 years since my last relationship), and even getting a job at the primary company that pays a living wage requires attending the church in the sense of you're hired based on who you know, and who you're married to. So I thought I'd ask what others may think, or just have done in their lives in similar situations.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-04-2012, 10:14 AM
RE: Atheists living in highly religious places
The more I read about US conditions regarding religion, the more I resemble the states with Iran, The Saudis etc. Is it really this bad or am I just having an overload of internet news these days? I've tried talking to my american friends, but I get only total silence, so in order to keep a friendship going, I go back to talking about kittens, kids and food. A huge sigh here from the european side of the matrix. (we always follow the US sooner or later, so I'm feeling really pessimistic right now).

"Never underestimate how narrow-minded, petty and stupid people can be". Mark Fulton, forum member
[+] 1 user Likes Cubic Bubbles's post
06-04-2012, 11:14 AM
(06-04-2012 09:38 AM)elemts Wrote:  Anyway, I just had a question for all of you. What exactly do you do when you live in a fundamentalist church based area (they claim they have upwards of 5000 members attending at one point or another--1/4 the population of my county), jobs are based on who you know, and you have to "smile and nod" when people say anything religious so they don't think you aren't (bad things could happen) when involving the following items:

1) Relationships
Move.

You ask what I do. I'd leave because I don't put up with that crap. It's move or knuckle under; I don't knuckle under.

And please don't give us a litany of why you can't leave. If this is important, then those don't matter.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-04-2012, 05:04 PM
(06-04-2012 11:14 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(06-04-2012 09:38 AM)elemts Wrote:  Anyway, I just had a question for all of you. What exactly do you do when you live in a fundamentalist church based area (they claim they have upwards of 5000 members attending at one point or another--1/4 the population of my county), jobs are based on who you know, and you have to "smile and nod" when people say anything religious so they don't think you aren't (bad things could happen) when involving the following items:

1) Relationships
Move.

You ask what I do. I'd leave because I don't put up with that crap. It's move or knuckle under; I don't knuckle under.

And please don't give us a litany of why you can't leave. If this is important, then those don't matter.

Move or knuckle under aren't the only options, Chas. Infiltration and deep cover are another option. I might opt to learn the rules of their peculiar game so well that I become an expert, I become their pastor. Then I could either preach the truth or milk the shit out of their tithes. ... Hell, I don't think any of those rich fucker mega-church pastors believe a damn word of what they're saying. But a man's gotta make a living, mouths to feed, bills to pay and whatnot.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
06-04-2012, 05:53 PM
(06-04-2012 09:38 AM)elemts Wrote:  Wasn't sure exactly where to put this.

Anyway, I just had a question for all of you. What exactly do you do when you live in a fundamentalist church based area (they claim they have upwards of 5000 members attending at one point or another--1/4 the population of my county), jobs are based on who you know, and you have to "smile and nod" when people say anything religious so they don't think you aren't (bad things could happen) when involving the following items:

1) Relationships

Now I can somewhat fake beliefs in things as for one I was a "member" of the fundamentalist church of Christ when my minister father made us attend it (tons of "neat" stories there), a brief time in a private Lutheran church school when younger, and attending a Catholic university was useful in other senses--I was actually atheist before I attended. In reality I was probably an atheist when I was in second or third grade [I told my parents that Santa Claus wasn't real when I was in first grade or a bit earlier]), only I wasn't aware of it, and had to force myself to think it's true, even though I didn't believe it.

But it raises the question in me of what to do when meeting someone to date (it's been 15 years since my last relationship), and even getting a job at the primary company that pays a living wage requires attending the church in the sense of you're hired based on who you know, and who you're married to. So I thought I'd ask what others may think, or just have done in their lives in similar situations.
Move house then join a dating agency.

"Belief means not wanting to know what is true"
Friedrich Nietzsche
06-04-2012, 06:30 PM
(06-04-2012 05:04 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Move or knuckle under aren't the only options, Chas. Infiltration and deep cover are another option. I might opt to learn the rules of their peculiar game so well that I become an expert, I become their pastor. Then I could either preach the truth or milk the shit out of their tithes. ... Hell, I don't think any of those rich fucker mega-church pastors believe a damn word of what they're saying. But a man's gotta make a living, mouths to feed, bills to pay and whatnot.
Some of my friends (pagan/agnostic) have said I already do the infiltrate type of thing now--as whenever I'm with one of the theist friends, and if religion is brought up (I rarely initiate it unless with theist friends who know me well, and it's something related to something brought up prior) I normally make the theists think, bring out their bible, look up something, and make a comment about how they're going to have to ask their minister--all the while they think I'm just curious and looking for the answer, when I'm really wanting them to question what they believe.

Funny thing, once in a small 5 minute conversation with the minister of the church (the one I mentioned originally), he said that not all his members hold the same beliefs on pretty much any topic, and some don't even believe the bible--but it helps if people literally believe the bible otherwise they might not be happy there. It's amazing what he would say when he knew I was only getting information for someone I knew who was looking for another church. In a way I think that's the problem, probably most of these fundamentalists in my town really aren't--they are just afraid to say they aren't because they may believe they'd be alone.
[+] 1 user Likes elemts's post
06-04-2012, 06:50 PM
It took me over 20 years to leave, but it feels good. Unfortunately I'll be going back in a while, and deciding on more stuff. I truly agree with Chas, I live my life with my pride, and the only time I sacrifice it is when it is necessary for survival. Being unemployed didn't mean I was at risk of dying. I took a lot of crap for no good reason in living in a (compared to the south) mildly religious area.

There were many lies I was raised to promote. I've rejected all that I have seen as lies. For me living in that sort of life is the worst suffering imagineable. I may not have the best imagination, but I think I'm pretty definite in my ascertation. If you can live a lie congratulations it's the way you live in luxury nowadays. I can't handle it so I'll stay on the corner.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
07-04-2012, 05:19 AM
(06-04-2012 05:04 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(06-04-2012 11:14 AM)Chas Wrote:  Move.

Move or knuckle under aren't the only options, Chas. Infiltration and deep cover are another option. I might opt to learn the rules of their peculiar game so well that I become an expert, I become their pastor. Then I could either preach the truth or milk the shit out of their tithes. ... Hell, I don't think any of those rich fucker mega-church pastors believe a damn word of what they're saying. But a man's gotta make a living, mouths to feed, bills to pay and whatnot.
Good point, but I'm not clever or devious enough to come up with that one. No

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user