Atheists losing job

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-11-2010, 08:24 AM
RE: Atheists losing job
(10-11-2010 08:41 PM)BnW Wrote:  Here's the point: to be taken seriously and to have credibility you must react consistently to not only those you disagree with but also those you inherently sympathize with. Logical arguments and positions must be applied consistently and equally regardless of the individuals involved or you're nothing more than a partisan and cannot be taken seriously. If there was some national outrage about a Christian who claimed she was fired from a job because of her speaking the Lord's good name at word and her atheist boss fired her, and it turned out she was simply grossly incompetent I've no doubt that people here would be all over those silly theists who claim persecution rather than face the truth, how it's about not doing your job, etc. I've been hanging around on this forum for a few months now and I have absolutely no doubt what the reaction to that story would be.

So, when I read a ridiculous story about a guy who's fired from a teaching job for doing a magic trick, and with within 10 seconds find a story about how the school claims the guy was using profanity, could not control the class and left a student in charge while he did who knows what - a story that seem entirely plausible to me - I think that seizing upon the "I was fired for being an atheist" aspect of it seriously impacts the credibility of anyone who seizes upon that story; that person is someone not interested in truth or objectivity but instead is pushing an agenda. Personally, I've no time or tolerance for agendas.

Defining an adequate burden of proof for a story like this is difficult. You're always going to have two sides to the story and you'll never know what is real and what is not if you were not directly involved. Sometimes you need to take a best guess. But, again, when the story is too stupid to be believable, it most likely isn't.

This is so well stated, I thought it worth mentioning. I think most of us agree, but sometimes seeing a statement like this, so well articulated serves as a reminder to look at both sides. I hope everyone on the forum reads this.

Thanks BnW

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-11-2010, 08:35 AM
And yet not one mention of my proclaimed lust for teenage girls. How disappointing.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
11-11-2010, 08:44 AM
(11-11-2010 08:35 AM)BnW Wrote:  And yet not one mention of my proclaimed lust for teenage girls. How disappointing.

Probably because your lust for teenage girls is nothing unique. I can only assume everyone lusts after teenage girls.

11-11-2010, 08:45 AM
Quote:Probably because your lust for teenage girls is nothing unique. I can only assume everyone lusts after teenage girls.

Of course they do. This is why there are laws!

11-11-2010, 08:59 AM
Ya, laws that violate our rights as horny, perverted, middle aged men! I'm being discriminated against!!

11-11-2010, 07:26 PM
Stark

Just read through this again and I noticed something I missed the first time:

Quote:This is so well stated, I thought it worth mentioning. I think most of us agree, but sometimes seeing a statement like this, so well articulated serves as a reminder to look at both sides.
(bold mine)

I don't mean to quibble but I'm not advocating looking at both sides of the story. Sometimes the other side is obviously pure bullshit. Not all sides of an argument are equal and they don't all deserve equal time. That is a very dangerous slope to get on.

I'm only saying that if you're not consistent in how you approach issues, then you can't expect to be taken seriously.

11-11-2010, 07:48 PM
I would have to agree 100% with that. I think that anyone and everyone is a little biast and prone to jump on a story if it's in line with their expectations.
11-11-2010, 09:22 PM
A good point BnW. I didn't however, mean that your intent was to remind anyone of anything. Only that it served as a reminder. Further, looking at both sides doesn't mean giving equal considerations to both sides. For example, I've looked at religion. For me, it's "the other side". In doing so, I've found no evidence to convince me to be a theist. Therefore, I no longer spend much time looking into religion (unless, of course, I find a piece of information that I feel deserves further investigation). Simply put, I feel it's important to see both sides of the coin, but those sides are not always equal, so I don't think they should be given equal consideration. You must at least look at the other side to see it's bullshit. At that point, stop looking.

14-11-2010, 01:38 PM
I got turned down in a job interview earlier this year because I don't believe in god.
employer asked me If I was christian and I said I'm atheist, so he shredded my resume and kicked me out.
fucking nobhead...

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
14-11-2010, 08:12 PM
A bit off topic in relation to Microscope but in a way becoming a member of a majority class really helped open my eyes to the suffering of others who endure racism and segregation.

It's one of those things about being an Atheist I wouldn't trade for the world. Stepping into another person's shoes can really open your eyes.