Atheists losing job

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-11-2010, 08:25 PM
RE: Atheists losing job
(14-11-2010 08:12 PM)Godless Wrote:  A bit off topic in relation to Microscope but in a way becoming a member of a majority class really helped open my eyes to the suffering of others who endure racism and segregation.

It's one of those things about being an Atheist I wouldn't trade for the world. Stepping into another person's shoes can really open your eyes.

No problem dude.
I think it needed to be said, Atheism is still such a stigmatism in society, even here in Canada you still get public displays of hatred from the religiously inclined.
It kinda sickens me that we have to drag religion kicking and screaming into the 20th century, the answers are there and they think by hating and advocating hate and abuse towards us it'll all go away.

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-11-2010, 08:18 AM
I don't know anything about Canadian law but if someone did that in the US they would have opened themselves up to all kinds of litigation. Even asking the question of what religion you are is a big no-no under federal law and many state laws as well.

You should move south. Cool

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
15-11-2010, 02:23 PM
(15-11-2010 08:18 AM)BnW Wrote:  I don't know anything about Canadian law but if someone did that in the US they would have opened themselves up to all kinds of litigation. Even asking the question of what religion you are is a big no-no under federal law and many state laws as well.

You should move south. Cool

Its pretty much the same here BnW, but he shredded my papers and told me no one would believe me.
Kind of a shit deal if you ask me :/

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

15-11-2010, 04:39 PM
(14-11-2010 08:25 PM)UnderTheMicroscope Wrote:  
(14-11-2010 08:12 PM)Godless Wrote:  A bit off topic in relation to Microscope but in a way becoming a member of a majority class really helped open my eyes to the suffering of others who endure racism and segregation.

It's one of those things about being an Atheist I wouldn't trade for the world. Stepping into another person's shoes can really open your eyes.

No problem dude.
I think it needed to be said, Atheism is still such a stigmatism in society, even here in Canada you still get public displays of hatred from the religiously inclined.
It kinda sickens me that we have to drag religion kicking and screaming into the 20th century, the answers are there and they think by hating and advocating hate and abuse towards us it'll all go away.

Well I'm glad to see a fellow Canadian here and yes I freely admit that we face TONS of persecution here. Just the other week we had a fellow write into our local paper protesting the spending of millions of dollars to build a new "Catholic faith center" in the city. He rightfully claimed that if the church really cared about helping others it could easily use that money to eliminate much poverty in the area.

The man got a storm of angry letters to the editor blasting him for daring to question how a group he's not a part of should spend it's money. It's the Catholic right to spend their money how they wish and a new faith center is apparently "well overdue".

Instead the new center will not focus on feeding the homeless or fighting for social justice. Instead the center will "serve the city" by endorsing opportunities for faith based education in the community.

There is much hatred to anyone who dare suggest in Canada that the religious reconsider their actions when doing something that is very much NOT in the best interests of anything but the religion. I have never seen so many angry letters written to one man with the courage to point out a simple contradiction.
15-11-2010, 05:18 PM
(15-11-2010 04:39 PM)Godless Wrote:  
(14-11-2010 08:25 PM)UnderTheMicroscope Wrote:  

No problem dude.

Well I'm glad to see a fellow Canadian here and yes I freely admit that we face TONS of persecution here. Just the other week we had a fellow write into our local paper protesting the spending of millions of dollars to build a new "Catholic faith center" in the city. He rightfully claimed that if the church really cared about helping others it could easily use that money to eliminate much poverty in the area.

The man got a storm of angry letters to the editor blasting him for daring to question how a group he's not a part of should spend it's money. It's the Catholic right to spend their money how they wish and a new faith center is apparently "well overdue".

Instead the new center will not focus on feeding the homeless or fighting for social justice. Instead the center will "serve the city" by endorsing opportunities for faith based education in the community.

There is much hatred to anyone who dare suggest in Canada that the religious reconsider their actions when doing something that is very much NOT in the best interests of anything but the religion. I have never seen so many angry letters written to one man with the courage to point out a simple contradiction.

I know, it absolutely disgusts me.
I used to get singled out in class a lot because I didn't agree with my teachers interpretation of reality. This has caused me a lot of pain because I've been kept isolated and branded "mentally damaged" by the catholic school I used to go to.
I've lost friends and girlfriends because they didn't like that I wouldn't believe in their god.
luckily we have semi-moderate groups like the UU's around.

15-11-2010, 05:21 PM
I don't think it's as bad here in Canada as in the States for the most part, but I agree that we most definitely face very real persecution. I believe my first post on this site was about an incident I experienced. Suffice to say it sucked. (If you really want to hear it, check out my first post or two by searching my profile. The thread had a lot of bad stories)

So many cats, so few good recipes.
16-11-2010, 04:48 PM
This is why I had to get rid of any information on my Facebook account that was about me being an atheist. If an employer saw that I was an atheist it would hurt my job chances. It is something that we have to deal with. It is unethical to fire people over religion but there is nothing we can really do about it. People are going to do what they are going to do and try to justify it.
16-11-2010, 10:56 PM
(16-11-2010 04:48 PM)omega21 Wrote:  This is why I had to get rid of any information on my Facebook account that was about me being an atheist. If an employer saw that I was an atheist it would hurt my job chances. It is something that we have to deal with. It is unethical to fire people over religion but there is nothing we can really do about it. People are going to do what they are going to do and try to justify it.

You know that you can block your account so that only friends can see it right?
17-11-2010, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I have changed my account settings so only friends can see it. Put back on there that I am non religious, and a fan of the thinking atheist.