Atheists need a Temple

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-02-2012, 12:38 AM
Atheists need a Temple
Do we?
If so, Why??
I don't think so...

Quote:The British philosopher Alain de Botton has decided to go into the mimicry of religion, into its replication. Cunningly, he hopes to
accommodate religious impulses while remaining an atheist.

With plans to build a £1m pound ‘temple for atheists’ in the City of London, he has succumbed, at first glance, to some sort of
edifice complex. For one thing, why on earth do atheists need temples?

Richard Dawkins, the most militant of them, suggests that, ‘Atheists don’t need temples.’ Such money could be spent more appropriately. ‘If you are going to
spend money on atheism you could improve secular education and build non-religious schools which teach rational, sceptical and critical thinking’. Believers will
look at De Botton’s building project with a mixture of feelings. With atheists, certainly with Dawkins, you know what you are getting. With an individual who
believes that churches can be made for anything, as long as it is ‘good’ one is encountering an age-old exercise of embracing a faith without claiming it.

Src: http://www.counterpunch.org/2012/02/20/d...-a-temple/

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-02-2012, 02:30 AM (This post was last modified: 22-02-2012 11:53 AM by Lilith Pride.)
RE: Atheists need a Temple
(22-02-2012 12:38 AM)KVron Wrote:  Do we?
If so, Why??
I don't think so...

Quote:The British philosopher Alain de Botton has decided to go into the mimicry of religion, into its replication. Cunningly, he hopes to
accommodate religious impulses while remaining an atheist.

With plans to build a £1m pound ‘temple for atheists’ in the City of London, he has succumbed, at first glance, to some sort of
edifice complex. For one thing, why on earth do atheists need temples?

Richard Dawkins, the most militant of them, suggests that, ‘Atheists don’t need temples.’ Such money could be spent more appropriately. ‘If you are going to
spend money on atheism you could improve secular education and build non-religious schools which teach rational, sceptical and critical thinking’. Believers will
look at De Botton’s building project with a mixture of feelings. With atheists, certainly with Dawkins, you know what you are getting. With an individual who
believes that churches can be made for anything, as long as it is ‘good’ one is encountering an age-old exercise of embracing a faith without claiming it.

Src: http://www.counterpunch.org/2012/02/20/d...-a-temple/

Temple-A place of worship
Atheist do not worship anything so no.

"If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed."-Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
22-02-2012, 12:36 PM
OP's avi looks like Ice-T.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
22-02-2012, 01:22 PM
What a waste of time and money, who will go?
Atheists? On Sundays maybe? And sit and listen to whom?
If we don’t agree with them do we get kicked out of atheism and have to start our own non religious group?
Build our own non church?

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche
22-02-2012, 01:32 PM
I don't know. A temple to humanism huh? Could be pretty nice. I like the atmosphere in churches - that kind of quietness, and the wooden furnishings... If you had something like that, with lectures each week on interesting topics and coffee and snacks afterwards... I like the sense of community you get at a Christian church... Anyway, even if it's a waste of money he's building it for other people, not himself, and it's gotta be better than building a church Smile And if it fails he can convert it into shabby apartments like a bunch of other churches I've seen and it'll be as if he wasted 1 million pounds on building shabby apartments - an activity which no one takes offense to.
22-02-2012, 01:41 PM
Atheists in temples are like vegetarians that pretend fish isn't a meat.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 5 users Like kingschosen's post
22-02-2012, 01:52 PM
(22-02-2012 01:41 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Atheists in temples are like vegetarians that pretend fish isn't a meat.

The mistake you're making is the idea of temple = place to pray to something. If temple = quiet nice building then there's absolutely no reason not to go there.
22-02-2012, 01:54 PM
Then build an "Atheistic Community Center". Calling it a "temple" has a religious connotation and denotation.

22-02-2012, 02:02 PM
(22-02-2012 01:54 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Then build an "Atheistic Community Center". Calling it a "temple" has a religious connotation and denotation.

Boo Sad Y u want to stop me from use nice word? Atheistic Community centre sounds like a place for rehabilitating psychopaths.
22-02-2012, 02:06 PM
(22-02-2012 02:02 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(22-02-2012 01:54 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Then build an "Atheistic Community Center". Calling it a "temple" has a religious connotation and denotation.

Boo Sad Y u want to stop me from use nice word? Atheistic Community centre sounds like a place for rehabilitating psychopaths.

It just doesn't sound right. It's like a church named "First F***king Baptist Church".