Atheists not raising their kids as atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-12-2014, 03:44 PM
RE: Atheists not raising their kids as atheists
(02-12-2014 03:07 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  Unless I'm just really out of the loop and it's actually typical for parents to tell their children there's a chance fairies/unicorns/monsters/etc. exist and they should figure it out themselves.

I'm sympathetic to what you are describing but the difference may be that most people the child meets won't be claiming that there IS evidence for fairies and unicorns. Simply telling kids that there is no god will leave them with your word against the rest of the world. Arming them with critical thinking and skepticism is likely to be a better vaccination technique.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
02-12-2014, 03:54 PM
I've expained to my daughters that the world is not ruled or controlled by gods. They are make-believe and it's ok that some people just don't get it.
02-12-2014, 03:56 PM
(02-12-2014 03:44 PM)unfogged Wrote:  Simply telling kids that there is no god will leave them with your word against the rest of the world. Arming them with critical thinking and skepticism is likely to be a better vaccination technique.

Right, I want reason and rationality to act for my kids as a vaccination against unsubstantiated BS, rather than (as it was in my case) a cure for it after it's already taken root.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr. Boston's post
02-12-2014, 04:07 PM (This post was last modified: 02-12-2014 11:34 PM by CleverUsername.)
(02-12-2014 03:44 PM)unfogged Wrote:  I'm sympathetic to what you are describing but the difference may be that most people the child meets won't be claiming that there IS evidence for fairies and unicorns. Simply telling kids that there is no god will leave them with your word against the rest of the world. Arming them with critical thinking and skepticism is likely to be a better vaccination technique.

The existence of idiots insisting the contrary would make it seem more urgent to tell kids there isn't a god to me, to be honest.

You can tell your kid there isn't a god and actually explain the reasoning to them and still teach them critical thinking. The actions aren't mutually exclusive.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 2 users Like CleverUsername's post
02-12-2014, 04:16 PM
I have a 15 Y.O. daughter, she goes to an evangelical church and I am more than happy to discuss and deride religion to her. When she comes home with how the pastor spoke about Job, of course I had questions. The takeaway lesson with that particular sermon was that you should remain faithful no matter what (at least the one the pastor wanted you to take away).

I was more than happy to explain how wrong and immoral YHWH is to make bets with Satan so he can make a point at the expense of someone's life. Several people's lives in fact, one of the most abhorrent and repugnant stories in the bible. A perfect example of why you wouldn't want anything to do with this god or this koo-koo religion.

Oh yeah, she's free to decide for herself, after I put in my opinion!

BTW-She describes herself as agnostic and constantly makes fun of religion while attending an evangelical church for social reasons.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
02-12-2014, 04:21 PM
(02-12-2014 04:07 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  You can tell your kid there isn't a god and actually explain the reasoning to them and still teach them critical thinking. The two actions aren't mutually exclusive.

I don't have any kids so my opinion might change if I did but I'm not sure I'd tell them that there aren't fairies and unicorns either. I'd tell them that I don't believe those things exist and go over the evidence, or lack thereof.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
02-12-2014, 04:22 PM
(02-12-2014 04:07 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  The existence of idiots insisting the contrary would make it seem more urgent to tell kids there isn't a god to me, to be honest.

You can tell your kid there isn't a god and actually explain the reasoning to them and still teach them critical thinking. The ctions aren't mutually exclusive.

You're right, unfortunately there will be so many people also telling them that the devil is at work trying to tell them that there isn't a god. If you let them come to the conclusion on their own it makes it less likely that they'll doubt that conclusion.

Think about how much "evidence" Christians have. Remember, they've been lying for 2000 years and will continue to. You're restricted by the truth and facts, they aren't.

Remember, just because you want something to be true, doesn't make it true. Yes, even if you have faith.
02-12-2014, 04:31 PM
Teach a man what to think and He will eat for a day.
Teach a man how to think and he will have more fish. Like ....way more. Perhaps even trout.

Or something.

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.
[+] 6 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
02-12-2014, 04:37 PM
(02-12-2014 04:07 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  The existence of idiots insisting the contrary would make it seem more urgent to tell kids there isn't a god to me, to be honest.

You can tell your kid there isn't a god and actually explain the reasoning to them and still teach them critical thinking. The ctions aren't mutually exclusive.

I get the point you're making. However, I think when kids aren't brought up going to a house of worship or religious education classes, it's much harder for the other external influences to take hold. Not impossible, but harder. And, if kids are taught from the earliest age possible, to think critically and not to simply believe everything they are told, they are also less likely to buy into the unfounded crap that some people may try to toss their way. So I don't find it to be as urgent as you made it sound here. In the end, it's far better for them to understand the good reasons for what they believe than it is to merely accept atheism because a parent says it's best.

Also, I see nothing wrong with a parent saying "this is what I believe (or don't) and these are the reasons I believe it (or don't)" as long as they also say "take that for what it's worth, but learn about it yourself and make up your own mind".

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
02-12-2014, 04:55 PM
(02-12-2014 04:21 PM)unfogged Wrote:  I don't have any kids so my opinion might change if I did but I'm not sure I'd tell them that there aren't fairies and unicorns either. I'd tell them that I don't believe those things exist and go over the evidence, or lack thereof.

Yeah, to be completely honest, I'm not completely sure I'd tell my kids fairies and unicorns don't exist, but it'd be more "Capture that childhood magic they won't get to enjoy for very long" less "They need to come to this conclusion on their own and I can't really prove they aren't real to begin with".

Plus, as mentioned, it's extremely unlikely a belief in fairies and unicorns would stick, while a belief in god has a fairly good shot at sticking with them.

(02-12-2014 04:22 PM)microterf Wrote:  You're right, unfortunately there will be so many people also telling them that the devil is at work trying to tell them that there isn't a god. If you let them come to the conclusion on their own it makes it less likely that they'll doubt that conclusion.

]Think about how much "evidence" Christians have. Remember, they've been lying for 2000 years and will continue to. You're restricted by the truth and facts, they aren't.

Would they be less likely to doubt their conclusion if they found it on their own? I'd think hearing it from a trusted source like your parent would make it harder to believe the Devil excuse than if you came to the conclusion based on your surroundings.

Not that I'm really an expert on this type of thing or anything.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.