Atheists not raising their kids as atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-12-2014, 05:01 PM
RE: Atheists not raising their kids as atheists
One could argue that raising a child to be a critical thinker is raising them atheist. Consider

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 9 users Like Stark Raving's post
02-12-2014, 05:04 PM
(02-12-2014 04:55 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  Yeah, to be completely honest, I'm not completely sure I'd tell my kids fairies and unicorns don't exist, but it'd be more "Capture that childhood magic they won't get to enjoy for very long" less "They need to come to this conclusion on their own and I can't really prove they aren't real to begin with".

Except I think I'd be the exact opposite. Playing the games would be fun but only if the kids also know that it is make-believe and not real. My priority would be much more "they need to come to this conclusion on their own" and less "childhood magic".

It'd probably end up being a mixture if I ever actually found myself in the position of having a kid. Since the chances of that are almost as close to zero as the chance that god exists, I'm free to hypothesize.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
02-12-2014, 05:32 PM
It's not that I don't want to say "Sweetie, god doesn't exist. The proof we have for Jesus is about like the proof we have for dragons." (Pro tip: don't tell your five your old there is no such thing as dragons - tears from your child and glares from your spouse will be in your immediate future.)

That would be a sure fire way for me to end up divorced with the rest of my family hating me. And considering I work out of state and am gone half the week, I'd likely lose custody, and my son would have none of my influence.

I'm teaching him how to think so he can decide for himself when he's older - I really think he will go through an agnostic phase and then atheist. He's incredibly intelligent. When he asks "why" questions, we don't shrug them off, we get him to answer it himself or we look up the answer. My husband has agreed that questions that can't be answered with "cause gawd" if I don't say "there is no god."

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
02-12-2014, 05:44 PM
I see I forgot to mention I understand why people act this way in relationships where the other half is religious. Confused

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 1 user Likes CleverUsername's post
02-12-2014, 05:55 PM
(02-12-2014 05:32 PM)Nurse Wrote:  It's not that I don't want to say "Sweetie, god doesn't exist. The proof we have for Jesus is about like the proof we have for dragons."

Wait what? Gasp

But...

Dragons!

Sadcryface

Weeping

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.
02-12-2014, 06:46 PM
(02-12-2014 05:01 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  One could argue that raising a child to be a critical thinker is raising them atheist. Consider

Well exactly because if theism didn't exist why would atheism exist?
02-12-2014, 06:53 PM
I have three kids, all adults. I let them go to church with friends but they knew I didn't believe and why.

Two are atheists.

One is heavy into Pascal's Wager. But she's nuts - so there's that.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
02-12-2014, 06:54 PM
(02-12-2014 05:44 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  I see I forgot to mention I understand why people act this way in relationships where the other half is religious. Confused

A couple Xmas's back my mother in-law sort of stopped the holiday mingling, turned down the music, and asked my 5 yr old to come to the center of the living room where she stood. When he approached her she knelt down in front of him and held her hands around his cheeks, said his name, and followed with "...do you know what Christmas is?" he replied "Yea when Santa comes and gives us gifts!" to which she responded "No it's the birthday of our savior Jesus Christ."

Considering this was the only conversation going on and everyone else stood silent facing them it sort of had his attention... and mine.
02-12-2014, 07:10 PM
I want to raise my child to think for himself/herself, but I would prefer to go about it in a way of teaching them about other cultures. If they ask me if a god or gods exist, then I will be happy to tell them why I do not believe in deities, and why there is no reason to believe in deities. I think that when they start to learn about cultural differences, they'll realize why people believe in a particular religion. It's pretty easy to see indoctrination being the cause when you're not being indoctrinated yourself.

That's how I choose to go about it anyway. To each their own though.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
02-12-2014, 09:21 PM
(02-12-2014 05:01 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  One could argue that raising a child to be a critical thinker is raising them atheist. Consider

One DID argue that... And got much fewer likes.
[+] 1 user Likes WeAreTheCosmos's post