Atheists of Color!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-04-2013, 10:32 PM
Atheists of Color!
I created this post for atheists with ancestry other than European to connect with one another, and to talk about their experiences as Atheists within the context of their ethnic communities, or in relation to other communities.

I'm of mixed European, African and native American ancestry. I'm considered by others as a "Latino",

WARNING: about to go off topic lol

but I don't like that term since it mostly describes populations that are far more Native American and African than European. African Americans don't call themselves Anglo, so why should an Afro Caribbean call themselves Latino? (That is if they speak spanish, Afro Caribbeans who speak French, another latin derived language, don't typically get categorized as Latino).

Back on topic:

I have had the pleasure of knowing a good group of black and "latino" atheists as well as non religious theists. I also appreciate black theists who practice or are curious about traditional African religions. I almost went down that path before turning Atheist, but I still want to learn about those traditions.

My intro- more about me: My story
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-08-2013, 01:43 AM
RE: Atheists of Color!
Yeah...

I've been looking at the forum member photo thread. Pretty much white males here. Not sure why... must be some powerful self-selection factors influencing who gets to this forum in the first place.

On the other hand, I am... another white male. *sigh*

My great-great grandmother was purchased at age 16 by my great-great grandfather. She was skilled in needlepoint and piano, and suitable as a governess. That's what her bill of sale said, anyway. I found it in my grandmother's things after she died.

I AM he who is called... cat furniture.
06-08-2013, 02:07 AM
You got something against white males?

There's gotta be an 'ism' for that.

Sorry, OP, another white, male here. I'll leave quietly. Sorry to intrude.

06-08-2013, 02:07 AM
I check the box that says Africa-American
Though I'm a just whole lot of brown, on my father father's side I'm black/Hispanic Cuban, on my mom's I'm black/Wyandot and Sioux (Native American)/French/Irish. Basically I'm a funny looking black girl who aren't quite sure is black. Lots of curly ringlets, slanted eyed, high cheekbones, and caramel skin that can tan and freckle.

Anyway culturally speaking I grew up in a gated community, heavyily Greek and Italian. We were one of the one few black people there but since we were so often mistaken for darker-skinned peeps we didn't catch much flack.

I think growing up around Little Italy, and the outdoor market places gave me a sense of the world that my cousins who we took in a few years down the line didn't have. I think the more multicultural experience you have the less likely you are to be brainwashed.

It's something I noticed aboutoving to TN they are stuck in this Southern bubble and lash out vigorously at any social change.

Black people here actually don't like me. They think I'm "acting white".
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-08-2013, 02:12 AM
(06-08-2013 02:07 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  I check the box that says Africa-American
Though I'm a just whole lot of brown, on my father father's side I'm black/Hispanic Cuban, on my mom's I'm black/Wyandot and Sioux (Native American)/French/Irish. Basically I'm a funny looking black girl who aren't quite sure is black. Lots of curly ringlets, slanted eyed, high cheekbones, and caramel skin that can tan and freckle.

Anyway culturally speaking I grew up in a gated community, heavyily Greek and Italian. We were one of the one few black people there but since we were so often mistaken for darker-skinned peeps we didn't catch much flack.

I think growing up around Little Italy, and the outdoor market places gave me a sense of the world that my cousins who we took in a few years down the line didn't have. I think the more multicultural experience you have the less likely you are to be brainwashed.

It's something I noticed aboutoving to TN they are stuck in this Southern bubble and lash out vigorously at any social change.

No wonder you can't sleep at night!
Big Grin

06-08-2013, 02:16 AM
(06-08-2013 02:12 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(06-08-2013 02:07 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  I check the box that says Africa-American

No wonder you can't sleep at night!
Big Grin

Hey I've totally tried! Wink
06-08-2013, 06:52 AM
I have like a drop of native south american, that's all I know about it though, and some middle eastern droplets from the spanish heritage... but yeah, white male here too Tongue

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
06-08-2013, 07:21 AM
Korean here.

Here's the thing, well at least in America... minorities have a tougher time coming out as Atheists. Hell, a lot of times they have a tougher time letting go of religion altogether. I've said this numerous times, religion is deeply rooted in the culture of many minorities. Look at the Black community. Church is a big deal for them. I understand though, religion was a tool for their race during slavery to escape reality. Korean-Americans attend church regularly and if you aren't a part of that community, you are frowned upon. One of the first questions I'm always asked by other Koreans is, "What church do you attend?" I think the Philippine culture has the deepest roots in religion than any other well-known race. Kids are expected to greet elders with a "bless" which is a gesture of putting the elder's hand to the forehead. They throw parades with people acting as Jesus. These parades depict the crucifixion and they actually do the act. I'm talking nailing the hands and all. Great way to celebrate Easter eh?

White people are the majority. They don't really have a need for a sense of community through things like religion. Maybe in small towns, but then that's probably why most of these small towns are mostly religious. No doubt that a white person also faces a huge fallout if they come out as an Atheist, but that's mainly from family and some friends. For the most part, they don't face being exiled from their race. To be an Atheist as a Korean-American means you will be shunned by the Korean-American community. And man do they know how to gossip. If I were to come out to fellow Koreans, my life would change drastically. Every time I shop at a Korean market, I'm going to get looks and talked-down to. I would get bad service at the Korean owned restaurants which means no more sushi for me (most of the best sushi restaurants in town are Korean owned). White people don't really have to deal with this.

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like NoahsFarce's post
06-08-2013, 08:56 AM
(06-08-2013 07:21 AM)NoahsFarce Wrote:  Korean here.

Here's the thing, well at least in America... minorities have a tougher time coming out as Atheists. Hell, a lot of times they have a tougher time letting go of religion altogether. I've said this numerous times, religion is deeply rooted in the culture of many minorities. Look at the Black community. Church is a big deal for them. I understand though, religion was a tool for their race during slavery to escape reality. Korean-Americans attend church regularly and if you aren't a part of that community, you are frowned upon. One of the first questions I'm always asked by other Koreans is, "What church do you attend?" I think the Philippine culture has the deepest roots in religion than any other well-known race. Kids are expected to greet elders with a "bless" which is a gesture of putting the elder's hand to the forehead. They throw parades with people acting as Jesus. These parades depict the crucifixion and they actually do the act. I'm talking nailing the hands and all. Great way to celebrate Easter eh?

White people are the majority. They don't really have a need for a sense of community through things like religion. Maybe in small towns, but then that's probably why most of these small towns are mostly religious. No doubt that a white person also faces a huge fallout if they come out as an Atheist, but that's mainly from family and some friends. For the most part, they don't face being exiled from their race. To be an Atheist as a Korean-American means you will be shunned by the Korean-American community. And man do they know how to gossip. If I were to come out to fellow Koreans, my life would change drastically. Every time I shop at a Korean market, I'm going to get looks and talked-down to. I would get bad service at the Korean owned restaurants which means no more sushi for me (most of the best sushi restaurants in town are Korean owned). White people don't really have to deal with this.

Actually, poor whites in the south have exactly the same situation.

I don't think it's so much racial in the US as socio-economic.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
06-08-2013, 08:57 AM
Disclaimer: I'm a white guy

...but I want to give this thread the 'ol bump of approval. It's pretty clear this place is running at a color deficit, we drive away the real bigots (Janthuffy) but you walk into like the Zimmerman verdict thread and it's really clear that we are a bunch of whiteys. I know one black Atheist (his facebook feed actually introduced me to TTA, but he doesn't post here as far as I know)