Atheists of Color!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-08-2013, 09:01 AM
RE: Atheists of Color!
I've complained about how there are too many damn white people on that bitch about TTA thread. I'll state it again, TOO MANY DAMN WHITE PEOPLE UP IN THIS JOINT! Angry

Also, I'm white, so I'm adding to the problem.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-08-2013, 09:14 AM
(06-08-2013 09:01 AM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  I've complained about how there are too many damn white people on that bitch about TTA thread. I'll state it again, TOO MANY DAMN WHITE PEOPLE UP IN THIS JOINT! Angry

Are we incommensurately white, compared to the general population? I wouldn't particularly think so, not that there's anything remotely approaching a census to base that on.

Atheism correlates with education and wealth, both of which are in turn traditionally correlated with good old pasty whiteness here in North America.

That's bad (unless you're racist cuntwaste like a certain recent guest star), but it's hardly our fault.

... this is my signature!
06-08-2013, 09:21 AM
(06-08-2013 08:56 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(06-08-2013 07:21 AM)NoahsFarce Wrote:  Korean here.

Here's the thing, well at least in America... minorities have a tougher time coming out as Atheists. Hell, a lot of times they have a tougher time letting go of religion altogether. I've said this numerous times, religion is deeply rooted in the culture of many minorities. Look at the Black community. Church is a big deal for them. I understand though, religion was a tool for their race during slavery to escape reality. Korean-Americans attend church regularly and if you aren't a part of that community, you are frowned upon. One of the first questions I'm always asked by other Koreans is, "What church do you attend?" I think the Philippine culture has the deepest roots in religion than any other well-known race. Kids are expected to greet elders with a "bless" which is a gesture of putting the elder's hand to the forehead. They throw parades with people acting as Jesus. These parades depict the crucifixion and they actually do the act. I'm talking nailing the hands and all. Great way to celebrate Easter eh?

White people are the majority. They don't really have a need for a sense of community through things like religion. Maybe in small towns, but then that's probably why most of these small towns are mostly religious. No doubt that a white person also faces a huge fallout if they come out as an Atheist, but that's mainly from family and some friends. For the most part, they don't face being exiled from their race. To be an Atheist as a Korean-American means you will be shunned by the Korean-American community. And man do they know how to gossip. If I were to come out to fellow Koreans, my life would change drastically. Every time I shop at a Korean market, I'm going to get looks and talked-down to. I would get bad service at the Korean owned restaurants which means no more sushi for me (most of the best sushi restaurants in town are Korean owned). White people don't really have to deal with this.

Actually, poor whites in the south have exactly the same situation.

I don't think it's so much racial in the US as socio-economic.

Well this is by design. Religion has never been the motivator of the rich and powerful, historically the movers and shakers ignored religion as far as they could while giving lip-service to it. Lets take the most heavily manufactured religion of all time, the Borg collective of religions, Christianity. It tells you to obey the temporal authorities (including the church elders) for a very ambiguous reward after death. It it designed to keep the rabble in line and to keep them pacified with ritual and promises of Justice and wealth in the next life as long as they tow the line in this one.

The Kings and Emperors never truly bowed their heads to the church, they treated it like a major power source that they could use to their advantage. Now for a good chunk of the 800-1100 CE period The church held sway simply because it was the only power source but even during that time conversion was done with a wink and a nod for the rulers of Clans and Kingdoms most became nominal christians and still kept to their pagan practices. Constantine himself was only baptised on his deathbed once he could no longer muster the strength to resist the effort. But the best proof of just how sincerely most of the upper class took their religion was the famed Henry the VIII of England. He changed the religion of an entire country over a row with the church, and the Anglican church was not exactly subtle in it's placing the power in the hands of the King and having him be the Voice of God on earth.

Of course atheism is a luxury but then so is the ability to read and for most of human history only single digit percentages of the population had such luxury. As we moved forward we have increased the average standard of living to the point where almost everyone can read (in western countries anyway) and once you can read you can begin to see what religion says without a filter. How many conversion stories begin with "and so I decided to read the bible for myself"? The default position now for the majority of the young people in america is not nominal christian but None of the Above. We have become a culture with unlimited access to information and that more than anything else will help in religions fall. Why do minorities lag behind in this? First they have statistically lower access to education and information, secondly because of their socio-economic position they tend to not have the spare time and resources to devote to becoming more educated about their religion and lastly the churches in these groups have become more than a place of religious worship they are community centers where every event takes place and to leave them is to leave you heritage more so than for the white majority (white culture has not revolved around the church in some time). As we solve the social issues that keep some segments of the population in perpetual poverty then we will see a rise in minority Atheism but until then it will probably be disjointed.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
06-08-2013, 10:19 AM
(06-08-2013 09:21 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It tells you to obey the temporal authorities (including the church elders) for a very ambiguous reward after death.

Agree with everything, but originally there was a lot more in it for people than just heaven. And there still is. It's community, it's safety, it's the law that protects you.

You can trust others who follow the same law. So your neighbor won't steal from you or sleep with your wife or kill you.

Religion brought a feeling of belonging and continuity to people in very chaotic times.

It still does.

And that is why it is so easy for politicians/rulers to capitalize on it.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
06-08-2013, 10:26 AM
(06-08-2013 10:19 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(06-08-2013 09:21 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It tells you to obey the temporal authorities (including the church elders) for a very ambiguous reward after death.

Agree with everything, but originally there was a lot more in it for people than just heaven. And there still is. It's community, it's safety, it's the law that protects you.

You can trust others who follow the same law. So your neighbor won't steal from you or sleep with your wife or kill you.

Religion brought a feeling of belonging and continuity to people in very chaotic times.

It still does.

Thats why I started with christianity as at that time Pax Romana and the Roman legal code was in place for most of the western world. Christianity was an amalgamation of all the religions of the empire wrapped around a core of "Do as your Told" a very useful political tool.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
06-08-2013, 11:05 AM
¼ Native American, though I don't look it much. I've been told it's in my facial bone structure that gives it away but I don't see it. Nothing of the Algonquin did I learn from my family as it was lost in some of the worst ways possible. What little I've learned I've found on the internet and most of it was more why it was lost.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
06-08-2013, 11:18 AM
(06-08-2013 10:26 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(06-08-2013 10:19 AM)Dom Wrote:  Agree with everything, but originally there was a lot more in it for people than just heaven. And there still is. It's community, it's safety, it's the law that protects you.

It still does.

Thats why I started with christianity as at that time Pax Romana and the Roman legal code was in place for most of the western world. Christianity was an amalgamation of all the religions of the empire wrapped around a core of "Do as your Told" a very useful political tool.

Doesn't matter what law is in place, religious law creates all of the things I said above anyway.

That part is what draws people to religion to this day, and it is what makes religion so dangerous. It provides a community with a code of conduct that allows everyone in the community to trust each other (to a point, lol). And outsiders cannot be trusted. Everyone in the community can feel special, they are the chosen ones, god's favorites etc. That makes a shitty life a lot easier to live with. And that, again, fits with what you were saying.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
06-08-2013, 02:38 PM
(06-08-2013 09:14 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(06-08-2013 09:01 AM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  I've complained about how there are too many damn white people on that bitch about TTA thread. I'll state it again, TOO MANY DAMN WHITE PEOPLE UP IN THIS JOINT! Angry

Are we incommensurately white, compared to the general population? I wouldn't particularly think so, not that there's anything remotely approaching a census to base that on.

Atheism correlates with education and wealth, both of which are in turn traditionally correlated with good old pasty whiteness here in North America.

That's bad (unless you're racist cuntwaste like a certain recent guest star), but it's hardly our fault.

Me thinks you took my post a tad bit too seriously. Tongue

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Tartarus Sauce's post
06-08-2013, 02:42 PM
(06-08-2013 02:38 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  Me thinks you took my post a tad bit too seriously. Tongue

Any excuse will do, for unsolicited, unprofessional analysis, that's what I say.
Yes

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
06-08-2013, 03:19 PM
(19-04-2013 10:32 PM)Critical Minded Wrote:  I'm of mixed European, African and native American ancestry. I'm considered by others as a "Latino",

I'm mostly of mixed European and African decent. Native American is sort of offensive, but I have a pretty small amount of "yeah you are Indians" as well.

They call me: "yeah you're black". Like Obama is black or Blake Griffin. Because America is racist.

I've never tried to speed through a small town yet. So who knows? There is still a possibility that I could be white. My friends calling me a nigger is an indication that I'm black, but you want to wait for all the evidence to come in, before making a decision that important.

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell