Atheists of Color!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-08-2013, 03:31 PM
RE: Atheists of Color!
(06-08-2013 02:07 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  Black people here actually don't like me. They think I'm "acting white".

You can "act white"?

You must be too comfortable around the police. Telling them about your rights. If you get confronted by aggressive police, and start telling them about your rights and yelling at them, that must be what people consider "acting white". Black people should get the 'I hope I don't die' look when confronted by police. The same look white people get when they see a black person in a hoodie.

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-08-2013, 03:43 PM
(06-08-2013 03:31 PM)TrulyX Wrote:  
(06-08-2013 02:07 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  Black people here actually don't like me. They think I'm "acting white".

You can "act white"?

You must be too comfortable around the police. Telling them about your rights. If you get confronted by aggressive police, and start telling them about your rights and yelling at them, that must be what people consider "acting white". Black people should get the 'I hope I don't die' look when confronted by police. The same look white people get when they see a black person in a hoodie.

That would be me alright! Yelling about animal rights, child endangerment, and gay equality. Threatening to sue and what not. It's actually kinda funny to watch their reactions. Having a small blind girl stating laws in their faces.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-08-2013, 09:01 PM
(06-08-2013 08:56 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(06-08-2013 07:21 AM)NoahsFarce Wrote:  Korean here.

Here's the thing, well at least in America... minorities have a tougher time coming out as Atheists. Hell, a lot of times they have a tougher time letting go of religion altogether. I've said this numerous times, religion is deeply rooted in the culture of many minorities. Look at the Black community. Church is a big deal for them. I understand though, religion was a tool for their race during slavery to escape reality. Korean-Americans attend church regularly and if you aren't a part of that community, you are frowned upon. One of the first questions I'm always asked by other Koreans is, "What church do you attend?" I think the Philippine culture has the deepest roots in religion than any other well-known race. Kids are expected to greet elders with a "bless" which is a gesture of putting the elder's hand to the forehead. They throw parades with people acting as Jesus. These parades depict the crucifixion and they actually do the act. I'm talking nailing the hands and all. Great way to celebrate Easter eh?

White people are the majority. They don't really have a need for a sense of community through things like religion. Maybe in small towns, but then that's probably why most of these small towns are mostly religious. No doubt that a white person also faces a huge fallout if they come out as an Atheist, but that's mainly from family and some friends. For the most part, they don't face being exiled from their race. To be an Atheist as a Korean-American means you will be shunned by the Korean-American community. And man do they know how to gossip. If I were to come out to fellow Koreans, my life would change drastically. Every time I shop at a Korean market, I'm going to get looks and talked-down to. I would get bad service at the Korean owned restaurants which means no more sushi for me (most of the best sushi restaurants in town are Korean owned). White people don't really have to deal with this.

Actually, poor whites in the south have exactly the same situation.

I don't think it's so much racial in the US as socio-economic.

I actually touched on that. I mentioned small towns with a white population. Plenty of those in the South. But still, outside of their town, they will be able to lead a normal life. I can't do that anywhere that I've been to so far in America. There isn't a town I've lived in where the majority of the Korean-American community doesn't attend church.

It's most definitely racial in the sense that minorities already tend to stick together and religion makes that bond that much stronger. To hell with you if you're a non-believer.

Also as I've mentioned, it's tougher for minorities to even let go of their belief in the first place.

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
10-08-2013, 04:37 PM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2013 04:43 PM by JAH.)
I am late to the party. I very much liked Revenant77x's post on the prior page. I am polyglot northern european, watch out my viking forebears may come down on your head.

The privilege that a polyglot northern european male enjoys in the US, and as far as that goes the world, is immense. Recognition of that fact for myself some 50 years ago greatly altered my political consciousness.

It includes the privilege of rejecting religion. It is rather that simple.

An odd story around white privilege. One of my daughters in law is polyglot northern european the other is mexican-american. Once, one of my sisters in law made a remark to the "white" daughter in law along the lines of how much easier her childhood must have been. So far from the truth that the comment was laughable. The "white" daughter in law was struck on occasion by a step mother with a bat. And as soon as possible she became the person who "took care of her father", cooking all meals etc. The assumption of ethnicity making everything ok is not necessarily true.

I must say that there is no such thing as race. It is biologically a mistake. We are people who have different outward physical characteristics, we are not otherwise biologically different.

All you women out there with mixed ethnicities be warned I find you most attractive. If I am a bit old to do anything about it.
10-08-2013, 04:42 PM
(06-08-2013 09:01 AM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  I've complained about how there are too many damn white people on that bitch about TTA thread. I'll state it again, TOO MANY DAMN WHITE PEOPLE UP IN THIS JOINT! Angry

Also, I'm white, so I'm adding to the problem.

[Image: 9f6.gif]
10-08-2013, 04:46 PM
(10-08-2013 04:42 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  
(06-08-2013 09:01 AM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  I've complained about how there are too many damn white people on that bitch about TTA thread. I'll state it again, TOO MANY DAMN WHITE PEOPLE UP IN THIS JOINT! Angry

Also, I'm white, so I'm adding to the problem.

Hee hee I do all of those things I'm black and nerdy
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user