Atheists on marriage

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-08-2015, 04:58 PM
RE: Atheists on marriage
(07-08-2015 04:23 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Also useful, though if you want me to look up more you'll have to ask more specific questions, as it can be pretty exhausting to screen for free versions of the journals, online. Here's one published for free by the National Institutes of Health, about correlates between research from Voles (in which we first identified the gene for monogamous attachment) and human/male behaviors:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2533683/

No need really. As i mentioned in my previous post before your citation, that your statement made sense.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes π¶∆'s post
07-08-2015, 05:04 PM
(07-08-2015 04:58 PM)π¶∆ Wrote:  
(07-08-2015 04:23 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Also useful, though if you want me to look up more you'll have to ask more specific questions, as it can be pretty exhausting to screen for free versions of the journals, online. Here's one published for free by the National Institutes of Health, about correlates between research from Voles (in which we first identified the gene for monogamous attachment) and human/male behaviors:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2533683/

No need really. As i mentioned in my previous post before your citation, that your statement made sense.

So you assert that something that resonates intuitively with you doesn't need more rigorous proof?
07-08-2015, 05:08 PM
(07-08-2015 05:04 PM)julep Wrote:  
(07-08-2015 04:58 PM)π¶∆ Wrote:  No need really. As i mentioned in my previous post before your citation, that your statement made sense.

So you assert that something that resonates intuitively with you doesn't need more rigorous proof?

My God. I have exhausted ways to call people idiots for today. Are you really going to argue about that? Are we there already?

Anyhow ill entertain you with my answer. It was not because it "resonates intuitively", if you had bothered to go to my response i was referring to, you would see me mention that i came across a study that had findings similar to what he said....Intuition had no part in it....
07-08-2015, 05:16 PM
It seemed like a reasonable answer, and more than reasonable for him to ask me to cite my sources before he believed anything I had to say. I just wanted to know if he wanted to know more, and what specifically that might be, since it's a big topic to discuss generally (with citations).

With all due respect to those hostile to religious forum members, I have seen little in the way of objectionable postings from Pi, in my opinion. The whole "warning in advance" thing was more than a bit over the top, but I can see where one might feel it necessary to say something of the sort, and I chalked up the excess to poor understanding of our social order, here, and/or a touch of hyperbole. Again, nothing I find personally objectionable.

As far as I have seen to this point, Pi is being respectful of his guest social status, barring minor rhetorical faux pas, and I think we should give him a bit more leeway before attacking. Just my $0.02, and worth every penny.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
07-08-2015, 05:21 PM
(07-08-2015 05:08 PM)π¶∆ Wrote:  
(07-08-2015 05:04 PM)julep Wrote:  So you assert that something that resonates intuitively with you doesn't need more rigorous proof?

My God. I have exhausted ways to call people idiots for today. Are you really going to argue about that? Are we there already?

Anyhow ill entertain you with my answer. It was not because it "resonates intuitively", if you had bothered to go to my response i was referring to, you would see me mention that i came across a study that had findings similar to what he said....Intuition had no part in it....

Well, in your response, which I just looked up, back on page 3 or so, you said that citations would be lovely, and then you say in the following response that citations aren't needed after all because he "makes sense," and then you call me an idiot for remarking on the discrepancy. So fuck you very much. I haven't found anything you've said intellectually compelling or stimulating, so I'll write you off as someone who's not worth the aggravation.
[+] 3 users Like julep's post
07-08-2015, 05:33 PM
(07-08-2015 08:48 AM)π¶∆ Wrote:  Of course citations will be lovely. I do not like to discuss something without having something to back it up. But what you are stating does make sense because I came across a study that marriages are more likely to end around the 6-7 year mark which corresponds with the 4-5 year so-called "infatuation" period you have mentioned.

I would like to point out that you have not provided any citation whatsoever this entire time. You just chastized Julep for saying "So you assert that something that resonates intuitively with you doesn't need more rigorous proof?" but in fact, you have not provided a lick of evidence beyond, "Studies have shown" and other nebulous statements. So I'll ask. What specific studies are you referring to? I would like to know because it will help me understand your position better. I am not being lazy, it is your responsibility to provide a reference for claims to back them up. I am sure you have encountered this guy, goodwithoutgod. He references friggin' everything like he is supposed to.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 2 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
07-08-2015, 05:34 PM
Julep, relax! I said to Pi that I would provide citations when I returned, if desired, as our forum social policies stipulate (and which we are glad to demand of our opponents). After I did so and asked if more citations were required, Pi said it was unnecessary, and pointed out that he had already said it agreed with other things he had read in general, and with his own opinion on the subject.

I really don't think this is worth getting hostile about! Sad

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
07-08-2015, 05:37 PM
(07-08-2015 05:16 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  As far as I have seen to this point, Pi is being respectful of his guest social status, barring minor rhetorical faux pas, and I think we should give him a bit more leeway before attacking. Just my $0.02, and worth every penny.

He's been condescending and presumptuous from word one.

For some strange reason, the rubs people the wrong way.

... this is my signature!
[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post
07-08-2015, 05:41 PM
(07-08-2015 05:37 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(07-08-2015 05:16 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  As far as I have seen to this point, Pi is being respectful of his guest social status, barring minor rhetorical faux pas, and I think we should give him a bit more leeway before attacking. Just my $0.02, and worth every penny.

He's been condescending and presumptuous from word one.

For some strange reason, the rubs people the wrong way.

The Muslim Q. Drinking Beverage

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
07-08-2015, 05:41 PM
Well, that's why it wasn't worth $0.03, I suppose... Tongue