Atheists on marriage

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-08-2015, 09:42 PM
RE: Atheists on marriage
Banned? Geez... Sad

Yeah, I get it, GM... just hoped we could straighten him out. I didn't sniff willful dickishness, so much as a casual arrogance common to those who think they have a special revelation from Gawd, which they often don't recognize in themselves.

It's a pity; I'd like to have more here like KingsChosen, who could provide counterpoint. How did Pi get banned but not the willfully dishonest and disrespectful, like Q?

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
07-08-2015, 10:06 PM
(07-08-2015 09:42 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Banned? Geez... Sad

Yeah, I get it, GM... just hoped we could straighten him out. I didn't sniff willful dickishness, so much as a casual arrogance common to those who think they have a special revelation from Gawd, which they often don't recognize in themselves.

I seriously doubt dude was a Muslim and I'm pretty sure I've smelled him here before pretending to be something else. Trolls have their own distinctive smells.

(07-08-2015 09:42 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  How did Pi get banned but not the willfully dishonest and disrespectful, like Q?

Are you kidding? Have you seen Q try to do math and logic? That's comedy gold right there.

#sigh
[+] 5 users Like GirlyMan's post
07-08-2015, 10:11 PM
Q is a nitwit, unfortunately he has company like pops and Blowme....this newly banned person was just a jerk.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
08-08-2015, 12:54 AM
Marriage is a divorce contract.

As you are pledging your undying love for each other, at the same the time, you are also spelling out what happens when it doesn't work out.

I love you, until this happens, then I'll take half your shit.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
08-08-2015, 01:04 AM
(07-08-2015 09:42 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Banned? Geez... Sad

Good riddance I would say. It's not like the forum lost someting valuable when this troll got banned.

(07-08-2015 09:42 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Yeah, I get it, GM... just hoped we could straighten him out. I didn't sniff willful dickishness, so much as a casual arrogance common to those who think they have a special revelation from Gawd, which they often don't recognize in themselves.

I on the other hand saw stupidity, arrogance and either being troll or piece of human trash if his stance on killing apostates was serious.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
08-08-2015, 03:04 PM
Atheists on marriage
I'm getting married in about a year. I think of marriage as celebrating the fact that you're not planning on your relationship to change in the future.

"If you cannot explain it simply, you don't understand it enough" -Albert Einstein
08-08-2015, 03:19 PM
It's many things. It's a celebration of your union as a public declaration before family and friends (and God, if you're a Believer), a contract between you and the State which grants new legal rights to people within that particular form of relationship, and a contract between the partners that (sensibly and logically) spells out exactly what happens if the relationship turns out to be based on false premises or the maturing couple finds they no longer are right together.

All the best of luck in your marriage, Smile. Big Grin

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
08-08-2015, 03:29 PM
(07-08-2015 05:18 AM)π¶∆ Wrote:  My question is, what do you think of marriage as an institution? Do you believe in it? Do you believe marriage is an important part of human society? As studies show, fewer and fewer people are getting married. What effect do you think it will have on the modern concept of family? What effect do you think it will have on our population?
I think this is a great set of questions.
"marriage as an institution" I don't know what is meant by this phrase.

"Do you believe marriage is an important part of human society?"
If you are conceiving of marriage as being a ceremony in front of family and friends committing your love to another person then No I don't think this is an important part of human society.

If you a talking about marriage as being a legal contract having the government support certain legal rights, then again I don't think this is an important part of human society.

"What effect do you think it will have on the modern concept of family?"
There is no difference between a family where the parents are married and where they are unmarried.

"What effect do you think it will have on our population?"
Yeah can't see any immediate impact.

(07-08-2015 05:18 AM)π¶∆ Wrote:  Do you feel encouraging more people to marry at a younger age will help provide some relief to the situation?
I feel, encouraging people to focus on education, business and finance will greatly improve society.
Getting people to leave school early to make babies would be a disaster, a huge financial burden on society.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
08-08-2015, 03:30 PM
Noone's mentioned white dresses and cake and pretty pictures...

TLC's " Say Yes to the Dress," for example. Getting to act like bridezilla while you look like an angel in your Cinderella dress - totally a great reason to get married.

(I really do think some weddings can be fun, though - when my cousin got married there were over 30 of us who attended her wedding...in Jamaica...at a Sandals resort...one of the best weeks of my life)

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
08-08-2015, 03:35 PM
(08-08-2015 03:30 PM)Nurse Wrote:  (I really do think some weddings can be fun, though - when my cousin got married there were over 30 of us who attended her wedding...in Jamaica...at a Sandals resort...one of the best weeks of my life)

To be fair, though, you could have fun hanging out in a Jamaican resort for a week without there being a wedding involved...

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post