Atheists, since you are not afraid of god, what is your view point on cannibalism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-12-2013, 12:19 PM (This post was last modified: 24-12-2013 03:13 PM by Khalid Al Eisa.)
Atheists, since you are not afraid of god, what is your view point on cannibalism?
This is actually a very tough question for me to ask cause I've offended people before asking the same question, but please bear with me. LOGICALLY speaking, assume the body was free from diseases, it wasn't the result of murder, and there are no laws that stop you from consuming human meat. It's either you cook it and eat it, or the body gets buried. Would it still be considered immoral to eat it? If so, then why?

Remember, state your answer in a LOGICAL manner. Saying that it's immoral because it's disgusting or gross is simply an expression of opinion, even if most people agree with that opinion, opinions should never be the law.

-----------
@Dom: Human meat is as disgusting as beef or chicken, yet we still eat those because the way its prepared in a way that we can eat. If you put a live chicken in the sandwich in that picture, it would be just as gross. You're missing the point of the question. I even said that you cook it. Besides, the picture is of a person eating a live baby, so he basically is murdering him. I'm talking about someone who is already dead.

@grizzlysnake: Nope it doesn't imply to nothing but the fact that atheists don't fear god. It's impossible to fear something that doesn't exist to you.

@Slowminded: Nope, it's the consequences. I have no problem trying human meat in the way I described it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-12-2013, 12:58 PM
RE: Atheists, since you are not afraid of god, what is your view point on cannibalism?
[Image: 2466jxw.jpg]

Does this picture answer your question?

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 17 users Like Slowminded's post
24-12-2013, 01:04 PM
RE: Atheists, since you are not afraid of god, what is your view point on cannibalism?
Are we talking about adult humans or babies? If the latter, is it a Christian baby?
[+] 5 users Like Vlad's post
24-12-2013, 01:05 PM
Personally, I would have to be starving and near death. Not because it's immoral under the circumstances you described, but because it disgusts me.

I think our "survival of the species" instincts kick in.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
24-12-2013, 01:14 PM
I think few atheists would be interested in cannibalism.
If the cannibalist has the consent of the deceased and the family of the deseased, and there is no
danger of spreading disease, then I thinkbit is not immoral.
24-12-2013, 01:19 PM
Maybe you should ask the Donner Party. It's about survival. I'm sure most of them feared god, and I doubt they did what they did gleefully. I scarcely think anyone would, except maybe some isolated tribes although it isn't much about survival but more of intimidation to rival tribes and enemies.
Why would you say atheists don't fear god? That would imply that we believe in a god yet not fear it, right? Maybe you need a clearer understanding of atheism.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
[+] 1 user Likes grizzlysnake's post
24-12-2013, 01:19 PM
What I find interesting is the title of the thread. OP is kind of implying that it is the fear of god that stops (religious ) people from being cannibalistic.

OP, is it the fear of god that's stopping you from being a cannibal, or is it something else?

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 12 users Like Slowminded's post
24-12-2013, 01:36 PM
Some ancient cultures cooked and ate particular organs of their dead elders, believing that certain attributes the elder possessed would be passed onto the one who digested the meat.

I see nothing wrong with cannibalism under the circumstances the original poster provided, though I would not partake in the ritual myself. Heck, there are actual delicacies I do not even eat that others find quite delicious, like frog legs or snails.
24-12-2013, 01:38 PM
I've read often that human flesh doesn't taste very good -- that aside, I really haven't any interest in finding out.

Still there's something off-putting about your title of this thread...as if to suggest that because I don't believe in gods, I wouldn't care.

There have been instances where people have out of complete necessity have consumed whatever they could get their hands on. I'm sure at that time, mentally at least they had to shut down. I doubt it was joyus or celebratory.

I don't know what I'd do in that situation. I'd have to actually be placed in it to know.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 5 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
24-12-2013, 01:44 PM (This post was last modified: 24-12-2013 01:49 PM by Bucky Ball.)
"Atheists, since you are not afraid of god, what is your view point on cannibalism?"

My oldest sister is the principal of a high school in suburban Virginia, outside Washington DC. She loves her kids, and teaches one class .. Logic for the Sophomores in the Honors Program. Thanks for a perfect example of a non-sequitur. I'll email it to her. She's always looking for examples of REALLY REALLY back Logic.

So essentially, he's saying, if HE didn't believe in a deity, he would actually go out and start eating humans. OMF'nG. Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post