Atheists, since you are not afraid of god, what is your view point on cannibalism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-12-2013, 07:56 PM
RE: Atheists, since you are not afraid of god, what is your view point on cannibalism?
(29-12-2013 07:55 PM)natachan Wrote:  Not a fan of communists, so their actions do not concern me.

their history and ideology should...

it's easily digested -no pun intended

[Image: ec25156e-63b1-4c54-98cc-e0325deeaf3b_zps3f7864d1.jpg]
Hands Of Dust
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes λάθε βιώσας's post
29-12-2013, 08:13 PM
RE: Atheists, since you are not afraid of god, what is your view point on cannibalism?
Somebody has to say it....

Soylent Green

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 3 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
29-12-2013, 09:04 PM
Although I doubt by this point the thread is still on topic but here is my two cents. According to Catholic teaching there is nothing inherently wrong with the eating of human corpses. This is because after the body is dead it is no longer theologically human. Since human is defined as a body-soul composite, if there is no soul then it is not human. However, it is considered contrary to Human dignity to consume the dead and therefore should be only done in extreme circumstances.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
29-12-2013, 09:09 PM
(29-12-2013 03:22 PM)KellyK Wrote:  SO glad I picked this thread as one of my first to read upon joining this forum today... I LIKE YOU GUYS. The SNARK. It makes me TINGLY.

It's not snark, it's Hobo ANGER!!!!!!!Hobo

Just ask the whining recipients of the.....uh....snark...

-- AND WELCOME TO THE SNAKE PIT! Thumbsup

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 2 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
29-12-2013, 09:53 PM
I'm weighing in a bit late here.

Morality is at least partially explained by our cultural upbringing, but absolute truth, and therefore absolute morality does not exist. That being said, I think most people would find the act of eating a human to be immoral for the same reasons that I have stated; culture based moral ideas. However, in dire straights it is usually considered morally acceptable (or at least forgivable) to consume human flesh. In the Donner Party scenario, I think I could eat a human so long as it wasn't my closest family's bodies. The only thing God really has to do with it is religion's influence on our culture - what some guy says God says is right or wrong.

30-12-2013, 07:50 AM
(28-12-2013 11:48 PM)BryanS Wrote:  
(24-12-2013 12:19 PM)Khalid Al Eisa Wrote:  This is actually a very tough question for me to ask cause I've offended people before asking the same question, but please bear with me. LOGICALLY speaking, assume the body was free from diseases, it wasn't the result of murder, and there are no laws that stop you from consuming human meat. It's either you cook it and eat it, or the body gets buried. Would it still be considered immoral to eat it? If so, then why?

Remember, state your answer in a LOGICAL manner. Saying that it's immoral because it's disgusting or gross is simply an expression of opinion, even if most people agree with that opinion, opinions should never be the law.

-----------
@Dom: Human meat is as disgusting as beef or chicken, yet we still eat those because the way its prepared in a way that we can eat. If you put a live chicken in the sandwich in that picture, it would be just as gross. You're missing the point of the question. I even said that you cook it. Besides, the picture is of a person eating a live baby, so he basically is murdering him. I'm talking about someone who is already dead.

@grizzlysnake: Nope it doesn't imply to nothing but the fact that atheists don't fear god. It's impossible to fear something that doesn't exist to you.

@Slowminded: Nope, it's the consequences. I have no problem trying human meat in the way I described it.

Christians symbolically drink blood and consume the body of Jesus Christ on Sundays, and you ask atheists about cannibalism?

At any rate, I much prefer Soylent Green.

Do we have more **like** buttons?

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
30-12-2013, 07:53 AM
(29-12-2013 07:27 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(29-12-2013 05:56 AM)PeterKA Wrote:  We actually carry a gene that makes us immune to a specific disease that can only be caught from eating human brain tissue.
[Citation needed]

^ Mead S, Stumpf MP, Whitfield J, et al. (April 2003). "Balancing selection at the prion protein gene consistent with prehistoric kurulike epidemics"
Published in 2003 in Science Magazine

The secret to a happy life is lowering your expectations to the point where they are already met
[+] 3 users Like PeterKA's post
30-12-2013, 08:24 AM
(30-12-2013 07:53 AM)PeterKA Wrote:  
(29-12-2013 07:27 AM)Vosur Wrote:  [Citation needed]

^ Mead S, Stumpf MP, Whitfield J, et al. (April 2003). "Balancing selection at the prion protein gene consistent with prehistoric kurulike epidemics"
Published in 2003 in Science Magazine

Too bad that gene doesn't kick in for mad cow disease, eh?

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
30-12-2013, 10:20 PM
(28-12-2013 11:48 PM)BryanS Wrote:  
(24-12-2013 12:19 PM)Khalid Al Eisa Wrote:  This is actually a very tough question for me to ask cause I've offended people before asking the same question, but please bear with me. LOGICALLY speaking, assume the body was free from diseases, it wasn't the result of murder, and there are no laws that stop you from consuming human meat. It's either you cook it and eat it, or the body gets buried. Would it still be considered immoral to eat it? If so, then why?

Remember, state your answer in a LOGICAL manner. Saying that it's immoral because it's disgusting or gross is simply an expression of opinion, even if most people agree with that opinion, opinions should never be the law.

-----------
@Dom: Human meat is as disgusting as beef or chicken, yet we still eat those because the way its prepared in a way that we can eat. If you put a live chicken in the sandwich in that picture, it would be just as gross. You're missing the point of the question. I even said that you cook it. Besides, the picture is of a person eating a live baby, so he basically is murdering him. I'm talking about someone who is already dead.

@grizzlysnake: Nope it doesn't imply to nothing but the fact that atheists don't fear god. It's impossible to fear something that doesn't exist to you.

@Slowminded: Nope, it's the consequences. I have no problem trying human meat in the way I described it.

Christians symbolically drink blood and consume the body of Jesus Christ on Sundays, and you ask atheists about cannibalism?

At any rate, I much prefer Soylent Green.
In most cases it isn't symbolic because that would be sacrilegeTongue Never heard of the transubstantiation? Whenever a priest rings a bell bread and wine become flesh and blood without changing their appearance or properties.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
31-12-2013, 02:00 AM
I can't believe it took nine pages for somebody to finally mention Soylent Green!

Personally, I'd try a slice of human. Assuming the person consented before their death and I wouldn't go to jail for it. We're all just meat anyway, who cares after you're dead?

Also, good one Chas for posting the Sweeny Todd song Big Grin