Atheists, since you are not afraid of god, what is your view point on cannibalism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-12-2013, 01:53 PM
RE: Atheists, since you are not afraid of god, what is your view point on cannibalism?
(24-12-2013 12:19 PM)Khalid Al Eisa Wrote:  This is actually a very tough question for me to ask cause I've offended people before asking the same question, but please bear with me. LOGICALLY speaking, assume the body was free from diseases, it wasn't the result of murder, and there are no laws that stop you from consuming human meat. It's either you cook it and eat it, or the body gets buried. Would it still be considered immoral to eat it? If so, then why?

Remember, state your answer in a LOGICAL manner. Saying that it's immoral because it's disgusting or gross is simply an expression of opinion, even if most people agree with that opinion, opinions should never be the law.

I'd throw in two more conditional objections.

In a culture such as ours, it would be seen as a desecration of the dead and most likely cause tremendous insult and suffering to surviving friends and family, and also interfere with their planned funeral ceremonies. If this is the case or even could be the case, I'd say it's still immoral to cause such suffering and offense except in extreme circumstances.

Second, cannibalism was often seen as a way to steal the strength of the one being eaten, or as a violation of the dead person's soul, even by those doing the eating. While I don't think any of this woo is actually happening, the attempt alone (if the eater is actually making such an attempt) is immoral, even if the means being attempted is implausible.

That said, there have been cultures where funerary cannibalism was the norm. Often the metaphor of the ceremony was "he/she will always be a part of us", being accepted back into the tribe, and presumably a dying person might take comfort in the knowledge that this would be the fate of their body, and perhaps even feel ostracized and abandoned if told that their fellows would not eat their corpse. Aside from the risk of disease, which we are assuming is a non-issue for the sake of argument, I have no objection to this sort of cannibalism.

(Also, I wouldn't eat it personally. Gross and icky isn't grounds to object to other people doing it, but it is enough not to do it myself. Also, I'm a vegetarian.)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-12-2013, 01:58 PM
RE: Atheists, since you are not afraid of god, what is your view point on cannibalism?
(24-12-2013 01:44 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  "Atheists, since you are not afraid of god, what is your view point on cannibalism?"

My oldest sister is the principal of a high school in suburban Virginia, outside Washington DC. She loves her kids, and teaches one class .. Logic for the Sophomores in the Honors Program. Thanks for a perfect example of a non-sequitur. I'll email it to her. She's always looking for examples of REALLY REALLY back Logic.

So essentially, he's saying, if HE didn't believe in a deity, he would actually go out and start eating humans. OMF'nG. Weeping

That is a logic point that I've never understood, how because we don't have a belief in a diety we must be lacking somehow. It's a bit like when ray comfort declared that to an atheist, rape must be fun, or murder.

I heard a very religious person tell me once that if they believe in god, they wouldn't care at all about their family. I found that deeply insulting.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
24-12-2013, 02:04 PM
On the other hand there is that "body of Christ" thingy going on in Christian churches.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 8 users Like Slowminded's post
24-12-2013, 02:07 PM
(24-12-2013 02:04 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  On the other hand there is that "body of Christ" thingy going on in Christian churches.

Gross and icky. They're free to do it, but I wouldn't partake.
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
24-12-2013, 02:15 PM
If I died and a person needed to eat my dead body to survive, then I have no problem with that at all. What good would it do to have a person starve to death because they left my body to rot?

Live, Love, and Learn Smile
[+] 3 users Like Compassion4Life's post
24-12-2013, 02:18 PM
Answer it logically? No species barrier to pass. You can claim the body is clean, but it could be infected with an unidentified prion or something else that screws with you once you digest it. Drinking Beverage

But that isn't the reason you asked this question, is it?

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
[+] 1 user Likes Cephalotus's post
24-12-2013, 02:24 PM (This post was last modified: 24-12-2013 03:57 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(24-12-2013 01:58 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(24-12-2013 01:44 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  "Atheists, since you are not afraid of god, what is your view point on cannibalism?"

My oldest sister is the principal of a high school in suburban Virginia, outside Washington DC. She loves her kids, and teaches one class .. Logic for the Sophomores in the Honors Program. Thanks for a perfect example of a non-sequitur. I'll email it to her. She's always looking for examples of REALLY REALLY back Logic.

So essentially, he's saying, if HE didn't believe in a deity, he would actually go out and start eating humans. OMF'nG. Weeping

That is a logic point that I've never understood, how because we don't have a belief in a diety we must be lacking somehow. It's a bit like when ray comfort declared that to an atheist, rape must be fun, or murder.

I heard a very religious person tell me once that if they believe in god, they wouldn't care at all about their family. I found that deeply insulting.

It's even more deeply disturbing. He's telling us that without religion he actually thinks there'd be a bucha Jeffrey Dahmer's al over the place, AND he and his friends would WANT to be involved in it.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
24-12-2013, 02:31 PM
Pardon me, I also forgot the fact that human meat would be pretty bad for the eater compared to the standards of livestock vs. wild game. Most humans would fall into the category of livestock because they are grain fed and sometimes don't get exercise. (Perhaps we should only eat the organic food loving hippies who regularly hike? Wink )

Humans eating other humans would be a mess from a modern biological standpoint, but again, I don't think sound arguments are what you were looking for when you started this thread.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
[+] 1 user Likes Cephalotus's post
24-12-2013, 02:39 PM
Actually even worse than the Logic error, is the cultural origins fallacy.
There is no law in any religious text, or any legal code on the planet, that originated from a deity. All the laws in the Bible, the Qur'an and every other religious text had their origins in already extant human culture, from which all religious laws were appropriated. Religion gave nothing to culture. It TOOK customs from culture, and sannctioned the already existing customs. Religion sanctions culture. Culture never ever sanctions religion, in the sense of the direction of origins. Very easy to demonstrate.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
24-12-2013, 02:50 PM
Why are creationists so desperate to come up with any ridiculous idea to prove to themselves that they are superior to atheists? You creationists just make yourselves look like a bunch of conceited assholes.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes WindyCityJazz's post