Atheists, since you are not afraid of god, what is your view point on cannibalism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-12-2013, 02:50 PM
RE: Atheists, since you are not afraid of god, what is your view point on cannibalism?
Oh, look, another troll bleating the whole "atheists can't have morals" bullshit canard. <yawn>

(24-12-2013 12:19 PM)Khalid Al Eisa Wrote:  Atheists, since you are not afraid of god,.....

What's a god?

Quote: what is your view point on cannibalism?

I presume that you have never read the book, ,"ALIVE: The Story of the Andes Survivors".

Just what is the point of your sad attempt to insult good and decent folks who simply don't believe in your batshit superstitions with lame strawman attempts to portray us as cannibals and worse? Out for a little Christmas trollfest? Shouldn't you be busy celebrating with your family, parenting your children, working in a soup kitchen, or something?

Quote:This is actually a very tough question for me to ask

I think you are lying. I think you are an immature little shit who gets a kick out of trolling atheist fora.

Quote: cause I've offended people before asking the same question,

Oh, Big fucking Surprise. Didn't see THAT coming. Rolleyes

Quote: but please bear with me.

How 'bout we feed you to the bears instead.

Quote:LOGICALLY speaking,

You clearly wouldn't know LOGIC if it bent you over and fucked you and Mohammed in the ass.

Quote: assume the body was free from diseases, it wasn't the result of murder, and there are no laws that stop you from consuming human meat. It's either you cook it and eat it, or the body gets buried. Would it still be considered immoral to eat it? If so, then why?

Why don't YOU eat human flesh? Please tell me that it's because God said not to, because if your silly superstitious belief in a mythical sky-daddy is the ONLY thing keeping you from indulging in cannibalism, I WANT to know, so the human race can be rid of you now, BEFORE you lose your faith and turn to eating humans.

Quote:Remember, state your answer in a LOGICAL manner.

Like YOU DIDN'T.

Quote: Saying that it's immoral because it's disgusting or gross is simply an expression of opinion, even if most people agree with that opinion, opinions should never be the law.

Oh, look, a strawman. How cute. We can put a red suit and a beard on it and call it Father Christmas. And then we can stuff your sorry ass into it and set it on fire.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-12-2013, 02:54 PM (This post was last modified: 24-12-2013 02:58 PM by Taqiyya Mockingbird.)
RE: Atheists, since you are not afraid of god, what is your view point on cannibalism?
(24-12-2013 02:18 PM)Cephalotus Wrote:  Answer it logically? No species barrier to pass. You can claim the body is clean, but it could be infected with an unidentified prion or something else that screws with you once you digest it. Drinking Beverage

But that isn't the reason you asked this question, is it?

Well spotted, Ceph, and here's the backup:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuru_%28disease%29

I say, all in all, TROLL FAIL.

[Image: unsuccessfulu-troll-is-unsuccessful.jpg]

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
24-12-2013, 03:14 PM
Cannibalism does occur in the animal kingdom, but rarer than not. Its rare, in that, evolution would end a species that was highly cannibalistic. The more social a species is, the less inclined to cannibalism they become, as evolution would weed out any species that over aggressively removes its own gene pool from its own populations, and only individuals within the species that are disinclined to do so would be successful in reproducing, and passing on their non-cannibalistic genes.

For example, if a species of crocodile equally viewed all other crocodiles as equally desirable sources of food as any other species of animal would be, that particular species, living in close quarters as they do, would wipe themselves out. Only species that do not recognize their own species as being food stuffs would be more likely to survive and pass on their non-cannibalistic genes. That being said, rare as it may be adult crocodiles still on occasion eat baby crocodiles. The mothers do not, for obvious reasons, as mother who had an instinct to do so would not pass on her genes, as she would eat them. Mothers who don’t would more successfully pass on their genes, leaving a population of mothers with good crocodile morals, without the need for a crocodile god to tell them not to. Some male crocks might take advantage of an easy snack, but rarely get a chance to, because mothers defend their young. It is also disadventitious to view each other as food sources as adults as they are stuck in very close living quarters with each other, as semi social, in that they live in large aggregates. Populations of crocks that are less likely to view its neighbors as food are populations that thrive and spread their genes better, and can out compete crocks that kill each other on sight as food, as they would get out breed. There is no crock god needed to tell them thou shall not murder other crocks. Evolution “teaches” them this.

In less social animals, such as the praying mantis, they rarely come in contact with each other. Highly pray oriented, and not needing to be less aggressive toward their own, as they don’t need to be for populations survival as they are spread farther apart and interact less, and can avoid each other better, the pray mantis is more inclined to view other pray mantis as food sources (being less social). However there remains the problem of reproduction. If a pray mantis killed any other pray mantis it sees on sight for food, there would be no chance of reproducing. Any pray mantis with genes this aggressive would not have a chance to pass on those same genes, removing those genes from the gene pool. Only pray mantises that are more cautious, and attempt to at least mate first, have a chance of passing on those less aggressive genes. But still, in this extreme example we do have female mantises eating males, after mating, but never the other way around. The reason why, is that the genes still at least passed on, they do not live closely together so the aggressive act of the female is infrequent enough that the populations can survive it, and when not mating the male can avoid her easily enough. And if the male developed the genes to eat the female instead, they would fail to ever pass on those genes. Evolution again teaching male mantises, thou shall not murder female mantises. And female mantises thou shall at least mate first before you murder male mantises. With no need of a mantis god to tell them what to do.

Human beings are arguably the most social animal on the planet, and highly reliant on other humans for our own survival. If humans killed any other human on sight, then our species would die out. We would not even need god to tell us it’s wrong, because we would be gone. Only humans with calmer, friendlier, more autistic genes, at least toward their in group, have a better chance of reproducing, creating, again by evolution a species of animal (human) that is disinclined to kill another human, or to eat see other humans as food sources.

Now obviously we do still see murder among humans. But despite what the NRA would have you believe, we don’t live in fear that almost every time we step outside our house the next person we see will attempt to kill us. Humans evolved in tribal systems, with in groups (the tribe) and out groups (any one outside the tribe). This in group out group system can be seen in nations, politics, religions, sports teams followed, social class, neighborhood affiliation, language, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, duck dynasty supporters, etc…or whatever else we identify ourselves as, and can connect with others on. We show more companion to our in groups than our out groups which is why war, gang violence, racial and sexual discrimination, just to name a few, is so prevalent. We are more distrusting and disagreeable with others outside our “group”. But the evolutionary resistance to killing members of our own species is very strong, making it rare, by comparison to what it could certainly be.

But the biological, evolutionary revulsion to eating other humans is even greater than murder. It would have to be as a compulsion to see other as food increases desire to murder those people. In addition, as a thinking animal we see those dead humans as the humans they were in life. We have a greater capacity to understand what that dead human is, and was. Cannibalism has happened with humans, but it is a rare thing for these reasons.

Evolution is not fond of cannibalism, and evolution created our brains, and as such, evolution taught us not to be interested in eating other humans, regardless of the reason. Evolution created our brains that way, not god teaching us.

And to look at nature once more, even lions do not eat their dead. They do not need a Lion god to tell them not to. If another lion dies they leave it alone, and do not eat it.

[+] 3 users Like Raptor Jesus's post
24-12-2013, 03:28 PM
No, there's nothing inherently wrong with eating humans.

"Everyone is alone. Everyone is empty. People no longer have need of others. You can always find a spare for any talent. Any relationship can be replaced. I had gotten bored of a world like that."
24-12-2013, 03:35 PM
I'd like to post, but this talk of cannibalism has made me hungry. Be right back.

“The only reason people do not know much is because they do not care to know. They are incurious. Incuriousity is the oddest and most foolish failing there is.” -Stephen Fry
24-12-2013, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the wall Rapotor Jesus. <3 I was thinking of doing something similar, but I doubt the op was asking because they thought there would actually be logical reasons to consider.

That makes me a sad panda....but we can hope that some of this gets through.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
24-12-2013, 04:08 PM
(24-12-2013 12:19 PM)Khalid Al Eisa Wrote:  This is actually a very tough question for me to ask cause I've offended people before asking the same question, but please bear with me. LOGICALLY speaking, assume the body was free from diseases, it wasn't the result of murder, and there are no laws that stop you from consuming human meat. It's either you cook it and eat it, or the body gets buried. Would it still be considered immoral to eat it? If so, then why?

Remember, state your answer in a LOGICAL manner. Saying that it's immoral because it's disgusting or gross is simply an expression of opinion, even if most people agree with that opinion, opinions should never be the law.

-----------
@Dom: Human meat is as disgusting as beef or chicken, yet we still eat those because the way its prepared in a way that we can eat. If you put a live chicken in the sandwich in that picture, it would be just as gross. You're missing the point of the question. I even said that you cook it. Besides, the picture is of a person eating a live baby, so he basically is murdering him. I'm talking about someone who is already dead.

@grizzlysnake: Nope it doesn't imply to nothing but the fact that atheists don't fear god. It's impossible to fear something that doesn't exist to you.

@Slowminded: Nope, it's the consequences. I have no problem trying human meat in the way I described it.

Please consider using the 'Reply' button for your replies.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-12-2013, 04:09 PM (This post was last modified: 24-12-2013 04:14 PM by WindyCityJazz.)
This idiotic argument that we have no morals without belief.in some invisible sky daddy is an idiotic argument that creationists bring up over and over again. FFS, modern man has existed on this planet for around 2 million years. This argument is ridiculous because the human race NEVER would have survived if this stupid 'no morals without religion' crap was true. If you're a fundamentalist Christian and think that the Earth is only 6,000-10,000 years old, then your idiocy speaks for itself.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
24-12-2013, 04:13 PM
You people are sick, KITTENS BARBECUE KITTENS!

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-12-2013, 04:24 PM
Erm... sorry, I'm confused by the question.

Since when has morality got anything to do with anything other than reality?

Sad

Ooh! I just noticed that the next 'like' I give out will be B00B. Who wants it?