Atheists, since you are not afraid of god, what is your view point on cannibalism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-12-2013, 03:42 AM
RE: Atheists, since you are not afraid of god, what is your view point on cannibalism?
(25-12-2013 03:10 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  ...
Uh, since when in the fuck did God have a problem with cannibalism?

No, no... gods are in favour of it.

Don't forget the whole Cafflik wafer thing.

Read it again...

"Atheists, since you are not afraid of god, what is your view point on cannibalism?"

The question is asking whether we are against cannibalism because we are not afraid of defying the gods.

But either way, it's a non sequitur.

Smartass

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-12-2013, 04:17 AM
RE: Atheists, since you are not afraid of god, what is your view point on cannibalism?
(24-12-2013 12:19 PM)Khalid Al Eisa Wrote:  This is actually a very tough question for me to ask cause I've offended people before asking the same question, but please bear with me. LOGICALLY speaking, assume the body was free from diseases, it wasn't the result of murder, and there are no laws that stop you from consuming human meat. It's either you cook it and eat it, or the body gets buried. Would it still be considered immoral to eat it? If so, then why?

Remember, state your answer in a LOGICAL manner. Saying that it's immoral because it's disgusting or gross is simply an expression of opinion, even if most people agree with that opinion, opinions should never be the law.

-----------
@Dom: Human meat is as disgusting as beef or chicken, yet we still eat those because the way its prepared in a way that we can eat. If you put a live chicken in the sandwich in that picture, it would be just as gross. You're missing the point of the question. I even said that you cook it. Besides, the picture is of a person eating a live baby, so he basically is murdering him. I'm talking about someone who is already dead.

No, human meat is a lot more disgusting than other meats.

We evolved as omnivores, we do eat meat and it is part of our nature.

However, we also evolved with a deep rooted instinct to preserve our own species. So we are instinctually disgusted at the thought of eating one of our own. If we all started to eat each other, it would decimate the species.

We are not alone in this, many animal species will not eat each other.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
25-12-2013, 05:31 AM
Meh.. i personally would just scavenge for other sources of food.
[Image: mgeatgrassside1.jpg]
I mean if these frikking gorillas can survive of from eating these stupid plants then i can too ! i mean i'm an ape too right ?

Dreams/Hallucinations/delusions are not evidence
Wishful thinking is not evidence
Disproved statements&Illogical conclusions are not evidence
Logical fallacies&Unsubstantiated claims are not evidence
Vague prophecies is not evidence
Data that requires a certain belief is not evidence
25-12-2013, 07:22 AM
Catholics are cannibals because they literally eat the body of Christ.
25-12-2013, 10:42 AM
Since I don't fear the imaginary beings in someone else's mind, what's my take on cannibalism ?

Cannibalism in the short term (crashed on frozen mountain top and must eat survivors to survive) is disgustingly acceptable when faced with your own death.
In the long term, it will promote the killing of people in order to procure that meat.

The act of eating meat in and of itself isn't harmful. It's the acts that proceed the eating of the meat that become immoral because of the harm it inflicts upon others

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
25-12-2013, 10:56 AM
In anthropology I heard of some group/tribe where the men were getting sick and/or dying. For some reason the women and children were fine, but not the men. It turns out the men of the tribe had the rights to devour the dead elders (possibly just brains, but maybe the entire body) in order to gain their intelligence/strength/whatever. From my very limited memory, consuming humans regularly has a high probability of physically causing some abnormality. I could be wrong or misinformed, but it might be something you want to look into if you are going to turn into Jeffrey Dahmer.

For me personally, I would probably starve to death before eating humans. I don't even like eating most other animals. What is stopping me? The golden rule maybe. Or respect. Also huge social stigma and shame beat into my morality on this topic my entire life.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
25-12-2013, 11:07 AM
That's Kuru disease among the Fore tribe in Paupau New Guinea, Adrianime. You've got the basics right, but apparently it was the women and children who were affected the most, because the men got the choice cuts of meat and the rest went to the women and children, including the prion-infected brains. I posted a link to a WIKI reference to is somewhere earlier in this thread....

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 2 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
25-12-2013, 11:11 AM
Thanks Taqiyya Mockingbird! Yeah I didn't read every post in the thread, and my anthro class was like 8 years ago Big Grin. Haha.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
25-12-2013, 11:26 AM
(25-12-2013 11:07 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  That's Kuru disease among the Fore tribe in Paupau New Guinea, Adrianime. You've got the basics right, but apparently it was the women and children who were affected the most, because the men got the choice cuts of meat and the rest went to the women and children, including the prion-infected brains. I posted a link to a WIKI reference to is somewhere earlier in this thread....

Been a long time but I remember hearing that Humans were not a good nutrition source.

Anyway as to the asinine op question, most of what keeps us from cannibalism is cultural taboo. But most instances of Cannibalism are either lifeboat scenarios (like the events that inspired the movie Alive or the Donner Party event) or tied to religious rites (the aforementioned tribes that eat the dead to gain their power) under normal circumstances people generally would never consider eating another human. The practical reasons are obvious (disease transmission for one) and require no morality debate. So your god caveat is truly a red herring because the true question should be "Without a religious belief why would anyone resort to cannibalism in a non life or death situation?"

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
25-12-2013, 01:55 PM
(24-12-2013 12:19 PM)Khalid Al Eisa Wrote:  LOGICALLY speaking, assume the body was free from diseases, it wasn't the result of murder, and there are no laws that stop you from consuming human meat. It's either you cook it and eat it, or the body gets buried. Would it still be considered immoral to eat it? If so, then why?

Parts is parts. Drinking Beverage

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.