Atheists, since you are not afraid of god, what is your view point on cannibalism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-12-2013, 11:49 AM
RE: Atheists, since you are not afraid of god, what is your view point on cannibalism?
Fake poster is fake.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes UndercoverAtheist's post
27-12-2013, 12:28 PM
Atheists, since you are not afraid of god, what is your view point on cannibalism?
(24-12-2013 12:19 PM)Khalid Al Eisa Wrote:  This is actually a very tough question for me to ask cause I've offended people before asking the same question, but please bear with me. LOGICALLY speaking, assume the body was free from diseases, it wasn't the result of murder, and there are no laws that stop you from consuming human meat. It's either you cook it and eat it, or the body gets buried. Would it still be considered immoral to eat it? If so, then why?

Remember, state your answer in a LOGICAL manner. Saying that it's immoral because it's disgusting or gross is simply an expression of opinion, even if most people agree with that opinion, opinions should never be the law.

-----------
@Dom: Human meat is as disgusting as beef or chicken, yet we still eat those because the way its prepared in a way that we can eat. If you put a live chicken in the sandwich in that picture, it would be just as gross. You're missing the point of the question. I even said that you cook it. Besides, the picture is of a person eating a live baby, so he basically is murdering him. I'm talking about someone who is already dead.

@grizzlysnake: Nope it doesn't imply to nothing but the fact that atheists don't fear god. It's impossible to fear something that doesn't exist to you.

@Slowminded: Nope, it's the consequences. I have no problem trying human meat in the way I described it.
There is no universal morality. What is moral/immoral depends on how morality is defined. In fact, the word "morality" itself is a human construct and defined by humans as well. Some people choose to define morality according to what some fictional god supposedly said. Others go by a different definition such as it's moral if it causes the most good and least harm while it's immoral if it causes unnecessary harm - and then words like "good", "harm", "unnecessary", etc. all need to be defined.

That said, we do have an innate survival instinct from our evolutionary development. That instinct not only includes our individual selves, but also our collective selves. Therefore, it is naturally repulsive to us to think about eating another human being. In addition, social factors increase that repulsion. The closer we are emotionally to a given human being, the less likely we are to be willing to eat them. This social factor can even stretch to other species - which is why the thought of eating our pets is repulsive as well.

However, because there is no universal morality, the natural repulsion can be overcome which explains why there are actual cannibals. I would imagine growing up in a cannibal family would be similar to growing up in a religious one where the indoctrination becomes very powerful - powerful enough to overcome the natural repulsion.

I wonder if I was born with a natural repulsion to the concept of god... Consider Damn indoctrination. Dodgy Sorry, I'm digressing now...

So the answer to your question is it depends on how you define morality. But, for most humans, morality is directly related to survival of our species and cannibalism would therefore be considered immoral.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
27-12-2013, 12:35 PM
RE: Atheists, since you are not afraid of god, what is your view point on cannibalism?
I still wouldn't be able to do it. To know that there was once a person in there someone who once hopes and dreams and thoughts and felt. I just couldn't do it. Even if they're not there anymore.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-12-2013, 12:56 PM
I just.........I mean...... I just........ can't even.............

and what does this have to do with God?

I'm confused.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
27-12-2013, 12:59 PM
I don't even like most people on a social basis, I certainly don't want to serve them up for supper.

God has nothing to do with it.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
27-12-2013, 01:03 PM
(27-12-2013 12:59 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I don't even like most people on a social basis, I certainly don't want to serve them up for supper.

God has nothing to do with it.

Thank you. I feel less crazy now.Blink

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
28-12-2013, 06:10 PM (This post was last modified: 28-12-2013 06:13 PM by Raptor Jesus.)
If you water an apple tree with apple juice, is that cannibalism?

[+] 2 users Like Raptor Jesus's post
28-12-2013, 06:23 PM
I would like to place my vote for stupid question of the year!Undecided

Onward, my faithful steed!
[Image: ezgif-save_zps4d93a674.gif?t=1395781443]
[+] 1 user Likes Crulax's post
28-12-2013, 10:40 PM
(28-12-2013 06:10 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  If you water an apple tree with apple juice, is that cannibalism?

When I feed my macaw a turkey leg, is that cannibalism?

* I TELL her it is, whether it's true or not. She just looks at me.....

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
28-12-2013, 11:48 PM
(24-12-2013 12:19 PM)Khalid Al Eisa Wrote:  This is actually a very tough question for me to ask cause I've offended people before asking the same question, but please bear with me. LOGICALLY speaking, assume the body was free from diseases, it wasn't the result of murder, and there are no laws that stop you from consuming human meat. It's either you cook it and eat it, or the body gets buried. Would it still be considered immoral to eat it? If so, then why?

Remember, state your answer in a LOGICAL manner. Saying that it's immoral because it's disgusting or gross is simply an expression of opinion, even if most people agree with that opinion, opinions should never be the law.

-----------
@Dom: Human meat is as disgusting as beef or chicken, yet we still eat those because the way its prepared in a way that we can eat. If you put a live chicken in the sandwich in that picture, it would be just as gross. You're missing the point of the question. I even said that you cook it. Besides, the picture is of a person eating a live baby, so he basically is murdering him. I'm talking about someone who is already dead.

@grizzlysnake: Nope it doesn't imply to nothing but the fact that atheists don't fear god. It's impossible to fear something that doesn't exist to you.

@Slowminded: Nope, it's the consequences. I have no problem trying human meat in the way I described it.

Christians symbolically drink blood and consume the body of Jesus Christ on Sundays, and you ask atheists about cannibalism?

At any rate, I much prefer Soylent Green.
[+] 3 users Like BryanS's post