Atheists who go to church for their kids.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-12-2011, 11:17 AM
Atheists who go to church for their kids.
Pretty interesting article.

What do y'all think? Would you do this?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
07-12-2011, 11:19 AM

RE: Atheists who go to church for their kids.
I'm theist, but forced to go to a Baptist church.
Every Wednesday -Fuck! That's tonight!- and almost every Sunday.
My Dad being Christian and my Catholic step-mother, do not go to church.
They make me go to church, when they don't go.

I don't think that's right, but maybe it's just my age?
Quote this message in a reply
07-12-2011, 11:21 AM
(07-12-2011 11:19 AM)insidemyownmind Wrote:  I'm theist, but forced to go to a Baptist church.
Every Wednesday -Fuck! That's tonight!- and almost every Sunday.
My Dad being Christian and my Catholic step-mother, do not go to church.
They make me go to church, when they don't go.

I don't think that's right, but maybe it's just my age?

IMO (take that for what it is), I believe that is a bit hypocritical. As a parent myself, I stand as a role model and example. If I want my children at church, I need to set the example.

[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
07-12-2011, 11:33 AM
My mother took us to church and Sunday school when we were young. I think I told her I didn't want to go when I was about 12. She told us that we were to go until we were 16, then we could decide.
I got involved in our church youth fellowship and actually continued to go until I was almost 18 - I was even president of the youth fellowship for a year.
It turns out that my mother was at most agnostic, more likely atheist, but believed we should have the exposure to religion. She treated the church as community, not faith.
So her position was not hypocritical, I rather think it was enlightened.

P.S. I lost my virginity on a church youth group ski trip. Talk about community.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
07-12-2011, 11:35 AM
Is the OP asking because he's wondering what's in store for him in a few years?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
07-12-2011, 11:41 AM
(07-12-2011 11:35 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Is the OP asking because he's wondering what's in store for him in a few years?

lol

Still trying to work me down, eh? Wink

07-12-2011, 11:46 AM
(07-12-2011 11:41 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(07-12-2011 11:35 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Is the OP asking because he's wondering what's in store for him in a few years?

lol

Still trying to work me down, eh? Wink

Once a preacher, always a preacher, brotha.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
07-12-2011, 11:56 AM
Uhhh, absolutely not. My dad forced me to go to church (only during the limited times I lived with him) and I hated him for it.

As a matter of fact, I'm not sure I'll allow my daughter anywhere near any church function. My wife asked the question, "What if she has a friend that's in a church group and she gets invited to church or other church function?" My answer. NO! I will not have my daughter brainwashed and indoctrinated as a young age. When she is a teenager maybe but only after we've had the 12 hour discussion I plan to have with her concerning atheism adn all religion of the world. I would rather indoctrinate her into atheism then have someone else force theism.

BTW I'm not militant but I do hope for the eventual collapse and demise of all faith, religion, and church. I literally cringe at the thought of someone talking to my daughter about god.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
07-12-2011, 12:13 PM
I was 7 when I forced my mom to give up on church for me. She was really upset about it, but I was so disruptive that there was no choice. I really don't date religious people so I don't see the reason it would come up. As far as church functions I'd very much emphasize how boring they are. I ended up going to some youth group things with friends who asked me to come to a party not explaining the youth group part (more than once...) And they were so pathetic. I don't see how people can sit through youth group. I see absolutely no reason for a child to believe in things while young. Make believe is more than enough for imagination. For my child I would want christianity to be as oddball as any other religion. Letting them experience it kinda convinces them it has higher status than other ones. Anyway how many kids do well in church when they talk about their Intersex transsexual mom and her transsexual wife? Generally christians don't like that talk.

If I was forced to do some sort of church thing it would be unitarian. My girlfriend though is bhuddist.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
07-12-2011, 12:26 PM
My wife is a theist and wants to go to church with our kids, but neither of us agree that they should be forced to go. If they want to go, then they will. I am not against this, I went to church and because of that I am an atheist. There is a community associated with churches and what harm is there in a 5 year old going to Sunday school and coloring? Obviously the type of church matters. Neither my wife nor I would ever want them to attend some evangelical church that teaches a literal bible interpretation.

As far as going myself for my kids? That is a possibility. Not regularly but on occasion if they want me to. For instance, if they are going to be in a church play I would want to go. I am all for letting kids decide and allowing kids to ask questions, sometimes they ask pretty darn good ones. My wife also knows that if and when my kids ask me what I believe I will tell them. Not to try and change their mind or make it up for them, but to inform them about their options. Shutting your kids in and closing them off from things you disagree with is not a good way to raise free-thinkers or inquisitive individuals. I certainly don't advocate for exposing them to dangerous situations but as long as I am there to help answer questions, I am okay with them going to church.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley