Atheists who go to church for their kids.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-12-2011, 01:02 PM
RE: Atheists who go to church for their kids.
(07-12-2011 12:13 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  I was 7 when I forced my mom to give up on church for me. She was really upset about it, but I was so disruptive that there was no choice. I really don't date religious people so I don't see the reason it would come up. As far as church functions I'd very much emphasize how boring they are. I ended up going to some youth group things with friends who asked me to come to a party not explaining the youth group part (more than once...) And they were so pathetic. I don't see how people can sit through youth group. I see absolutely no reason for a child to believe in things while young. Make believe is more than enough for imagination. For my child I would want christianity to be as oddball as any other religion. Letting them experience it kinda convinces them it has higher status than other ones. Anyway how many kids do well in church when they talk about their Intersex transsexual mom and her transsexual wife? Generally christians don't like that talk.

If I was forced to do some sort of church thing it would be unitarian. My girlfriend though is bhuddist.

OT but can you explain to me what an intersex transexual lesbian is? I'm so confused.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-12-2011, 02:53 PM
I actually spent today in classrooms explaining this to college students. Intersexed is a term for a large portion of different gendered babies. There are 32 documented forms of intersex and of course that's not all of them. I was born with a malformed penis, which the doctors of the 80's thought was nothing serious. Little did they know there were hormones and other fun things lurking around as well. Since the doctors decided I'm male, Missouri law says I'm male and there's no grievance for it. I'm not male, but I am classified as a transsexual due to legalities. And while lesbian isn't generally a term people need explained to them I don't follow the gender binary at the least. My partner is legally male but desires to be female. If you need more we can probably IM, not sure how often people want to hear this explained to them, though I'm sure enough of you find it fascinating =p

anyway i find there to be nothing wrong with discouraging church for my children. If your child started talking about following Zeus I don't think you would just let them go. If some forms of religion are not accepted then why act like one gets special status for being still practiced?

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 1 user Likes Lilith Pride's post
07-12-2011, 02:59 PM
I would be willing to bet just about anything that the majority of those 17% are peer pressured into going by someone in the family.

"A new study out of Rice University has found that 17 percent -- about one out of five scientists who describe themselves as either atheists or agnostics -- actually go to church, although not too often....
07-12-2011, 03:01 PM
(07-12-2011 02:53 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  I actually spent today in classrooms explaining this to college students. Intersexed is a term for a large portion of different gendered babies. There are 32 documented forms of intersex and of course that's not all of them. I was born with a malformed penis, which the doctors of the 80's thought was nothing serious. Little did they know there were hormones and other fun things lurking around as well. Since the doctors decided I'm male, Missouri law says I'm male and there's no grievance for it. I'm not male, but I am classified as a transsexual due to legalities. And while lesbian isn't generally a term people need explained to them I don't follow the gender binary at the least. My partner is legally male but desires to be female. If you need more we can probably IM, not sure how often people want to hear this explained to them, though I'm sure enough of you find it fascinating =p

anyway i find there to be nothing wrong with discouraging church for my children. If your child started talking about following Zeus I don't think you would just let them go. If some forms of religion are not accepted then why act like one gets special status for being still practiced?

PM'd

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
07-12-2011, 08:20 PM
I am atheist - anti-theist. Allowing children to have an option to choose a religious belief is counterproductive. Good options don't include make believe. If you include christian options, then go ahead and give them the option to experience Zeus, Odin, Horus, Mohammad, and so on. Having an imagination is one thing but believing imaginary beings are real is another. Teaching my children to be good and to be productive with their lives is key. All three of my children are atheists.

Praying for help has not helped anyone. Allowing my children to be taught to pray is like teaching them to not think or do for themselves. All the defending of real education, horrible indoctrination, and false beliefs will only be recycled if we allow our children to be brought up in this.

If community is needed then we need to form more community meeting places for atheists. This going to church and being bombarded with holy rhetoric is not the answer to community. It is a cesspool of misinformation, deceit, and a mind prison. Give them an inch, they'll take a mile...

Idiot: : a foolish or stupid person
— idiot adjective
See Republican Candidates.

Keeping realism alive, one honest offensive comment at a time!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user