08-11-2014, 12:15 PM
RE: Atheists who work out

Be true to yourself. Heart
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-11-2014, 12:17 PM
Quote:8:30 is pretty fast. Good job! Thumbsup

Thanks! You know, it's funny....I was 9mm+ for the LONGEST time...I mean, the longest. And not until I started running longer distances (like adding a few miles per week) to my runs (not the speed work) did I see my time improve. I thought that was weird. lol

Quote:That was me who asked. I was just curious. Since that's what you enjoy, then more power to you. Congrats on the 5k's too.

Thank you! I think if you also wanna see your pace improve, sign up for a race of any length. Gives you something to strive for...5k's are the best in my opinion for that.

(05-11-2014 05:24 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  I also enjoy my longer runs. I should be out there right now doing so, but it was a long day at work...and feel the need to relax right now. Drinking Beverage

Recovery is important too. Just as long as you don't get too used to it. Tongue
[/quote] haha ...Laugh out load

(07-11-2014 03:12 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(05-11-2014 05:28 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  Gasp

It was over 30 years ago. I'm generally running around 9 minute miles now during training. Last spring I ran a 5k race at a 7:42 min/mile pace. About a year ago, I ran a 5 miler at just over an 8:00 min/mile pace. Anything longer and it's 8:35 and up. So I've slowed down considerably. Tongue
9mm is a very good pace...it's so awesome that you have stuck with running all these years. Yes Thumbsup

(07-11-2014 06:44 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  I wish I had a workout partner

Aw, no friends who might wanna join you, Zeke?

Nothing for me today, I was going to head to the gym, but have a headache and stomach ache...Sadcryface2 I have a massage scheduled and I wish I could cancel it, but if I do, I'll get charged, so gotta go to that.

Have a great day everyone--here's to health! Heart

[+] 1 user Likes Deidre32's post
08-11-2014, 12:18 PM
Don't know why post #91 is blank. lol I tried posting that ^^ and it showed up blank...hmmm...and post #92 is kinda jumbled up too. Impulse's name should show with those quotes. I told u I didn't feel well. Tongue

08-11-2014, 03:21 PM
(08-11-2014 12:17 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  Aw, no friends who might wanna join you, Zeke?

Nothing for me today, I was going to head to the gym, but have a headache and stomach ache...Sadcryface2 I have a massage scheduled and I wish I could cancel it, but if I do, I'll get charged, so gotta go to that.

Have a great day everyone--here's to health! Heart

Nope, have been getting lazy for some reason.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
09-11-2014, 02:27 AM
I've been reading Bob de la Motte's new book (he's a well known South African ultramarathon runner)... Eish, getting excited for moar running Big Grin

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
09-11-2014, 07:24 PM
I'll be doing these videos this week. I really need to get back on track. I've been a slacker!

"Most people are other people.
Their thoughts are someone else's opinions,
their lives a mimicry,
their passions a quotation."
-Oscar Wilde
[+] 1 user Likes LadyWallFlower's post
10-11-2014, 08:34 AM (This post was last modified: 10-11-2014 09:07 AM by KidCharlemagne1962.)
This infernal thread is making me feel guilty for not going to the gym...I am now considering going. Quick! Someone get me some donuts and coffee before I do something rash. Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 2 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post
10-11-2014, 09:01 AM
(10-11-2014 08:34 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  Thin infernal thread is making me feel guilty for not going to the gym...I am now considering going. Quick! Someone get me some donuts and coffee before I do something rash. Smile

Get in car; go here or here.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
10-11-2014, 09:09 AM
(10-11-2014 09:01 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(10-11-2014 08:34 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  Thin infernal thread is making me feel guilty for not going to the gym...I am now considering going. Quick! Someone get me some donuts and coffee before I do something rash. Smile

Get in car; go here or here.

I knew I could count on you Chas!

We're looking at a house that is 100 yards away from the gym! I'm doomed, even I can't come up with good enough excuses if we buy it.Weeping

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
10-11-2014, 10:50 AM
(08-11-2014 12:17 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  Thanks! You know, it's funny....I was 9mm+ for the LONGEST time...I mean, the longest. And not until I started running longer distances (like adding a few miles per week) to my runs (not the speed work) did I see my time improve. I thought that was weird. lol

Distance provides endurance. That's probably why it helped. When I ran that 17 mile training run in college, the racing distance was 6.2 miles (10k). We trained well beyond the race distance for the endurance. For 2 years in high school I had struggled to run a 2-mile track time under 11 minutes and we never ran longer than 10 miles. In my senior year, I finally did it in 10 min, 54 sec. About 5 months later in college where we ran much longer training distances, I ran a 2 mile split during a 10k race in 10 min, 32 sec and the course had started out at the foot of a steep 1/4 mile uphill section. So yeah, distance/endurance really helps speed to a point. But speed workouts are also important to give the fast-twitch muscles their strength.

(08-11-2014 12:17 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  Thank you! I think if you also wanna see your pace improve, sign up for a race of any length. Gives you something to strive for...5k's are the best in my opinion for that.

I agree. Races definitely help speed. They also help keep you motivated to get out there regularly for the workouts. Smile

(08-11-2014 12:17 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  9mm is a very good pace...it's so awesome that you have stuck with running all these years. Yes Thumbsup

Thanks. The truth though is I didn't stick with it all these years. I stopped running after a semester of college. Except for a brief attempt to get back into it about 12 years later that only lasted about 5 or 6 months, I didn't run again until about 2 1/2 years ago. So I was out of running for about 28 years.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post