Atheists who work out

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
24-09-2015, 11:04 AM
RE: Atheists who work out
(24-09-2015 10:28 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(24-09-2015 09:55 AM)yakherder Wrote:  In my opinion, women's self defense is not rationally any different than any other self defense. The principles that determine whether or not it will work are still the same.

The best way to get away from a fight is to run. In that regards, sprint training is probably the best way to defend yourself. You might find this article interesting:
Are you fit enough to escape?
This is not meant as a jab at out of shape people (which I know you're not), just an acknowledgement of reality.

That said, if you've been caught, it's probably by surprise and, as a woman, it's statistically likely you'll be dealing with a larger, stronger attacker. It is, thus, safe to assume you may end up on the ground. A good understanding of ground fighting can make even a smaller person quite frustrating to deal with, and if you know what to look for and your attacker is not used to ground fighting, it's not difficult to find an opportunity to slip in a triangle choke or hyper extend their arm (in a real life situation, don't stop, break that shit in half then escape). For that I'd suggest the ever so popular Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. It also wouldn't hurt to learn how to throw a proper strike, and for that I'd suggest Muay Thai or traditional boxing. You don't need to become an expert, you just need to know enough to understand where hitting someone is likely to daze them and where the damage is going to be superficial and just piss them off. If you're in California, you should be able to find a decent school on every other street corner Smile I've also become a fan of Krav Maga lately, though it can be more difficult to find a good school. That's what I've been taking in Montreal, and the instructor is a former Israeli executive protection professional who regularly trains with Israeli IDF.

In any case, you're not going to become an expert in a one hour seminar style class no matter how relevant the techniques are. If you truly want to learn how to defend yourself, make it a hobby that you regularly take part in. If you can't do that, for whatever reason, then you're better off just making sure you're in good enough shape to out sprint an 18 to 40 year old male in slightly above average physical condition (the typical attacker).

Also ('Murica!) be as armed as you can legally be, and be sure to do regular drills and read up on statistics, watch videos, etc. of encounters involving whatever weapon you choose to use so you know what actually works and what doesn't. Don't count on pepper spray, for example, to magically work without practice.

And don't feel sorry an attacker. This is, ironically, a big problem. People who are attacked who are not habitually violent people often hold themselves back from defending themselves because the prospect of injuring someone, even someone trying to do harm to them, is so new to them they can't bring themselves to do it in the heat of the moment. If someone is trying to make a victim of you, they lose their right to mercy. Bite their nose off, and while you're at it grab their balls and rip those off too. Don't stop just because they scream and beg. If they're not crippled, the second you let up they're gonna go back to attacking you and you may have lost the only opportunity you're gonna get.

There's an amazing Facebook page called "Active Self Protection." Yeah, it has religious overtones, and is definitely pro gun, but the information he provides and the analyses he does on various footage of real self defense encounters is quite relevant regardless of one's beliefs or political standing.

When I was living in the city, I would often see women walking around, digging through their purses, and talking on phones, completely oblivious to all the shit going on around them. I think that also puts "Target" right on your forehead. I wish that wasn't the case for women--to have to be on guard--but unfortunately, it is reality.

Even being on guard, shit happens. I was outside a grocery store, grabbing a cart and some random dude came up to me from behind. He put his arm around my shoulders (like you would do to a girlfriend) and started hitting on me. It was extra scary because he had his hands on me. I threw his hand off my shoulder and told him to get the fuck away from me--but that whole situation could've turned bad real fast. I also had some weird guy show up at my new house when we first moved in. My house is gated but has this decorative trellis on top of the fence. I took my dog into my yard to go to the bathroom and I see this creepy guy peering at me through the holes in my fence, not saying anything, just staring. Luckily, I keep my gate locked from the inside. So I was like um, can I help you? And he told me he was a workman that was from Home Depot and needed to check the windows for blinds or some shit. And we had been having a lot of workmen come to my house to fix it. Still, I didn't let him in. I called my boyfriend to see if he scheduled something with Home Depot, he said he didn't. I told the guy to leave and he sat in his car in my driveway and wouldn't leave for awhile. It was pretty scary. Anyway, I definitely want to do something to be able to protect myself.

I've been really interested in taking Krav Maga for awhile. I watched some videos with this lady who really kicks ass. However, I didn't know if it was really something a woman could use in terms of protection against a male attacker or if it was just staged fighting in the videos (kind of like Joe Rogan said about the videos they were watching).

I am vegan and do yoga and believe in a peaceful existence, however, I would not think twice about killing someone in self-defense. I think the sprinting practice is a good idea. It would be much better to get out of the situation instead of having to engage in some sort of altercation.

Though not directly related, this episode of Fight Quest featured Krav Maga. One of the two instructors they deal with in a scary female.

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
24-09-2015, 11:17 AM
(24-09-2015 10:11 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  My boyfriend just told me I'll probably have his old elliptical in a few days and I'm really excited! Let's hope it works Tongue

This may be a way for me to get more active again, I got sick and tired of walking around the neighborhood and I need to lose weight and feel healthier. I don't ever seem to achieve it. I'm hoping that exercising inside the house may keep me motivated.

What do you guys think about this kind of exercise?

I think it would be great exercise! I also think it's great that you are excited about using it. That's the whole key--to find an activity you are excited about doing. I also find once you get hooked on doing one activity, you are more apt to add more activities. I got really into yoga and now love to do other activities where I can put my "yoga skills" (i.e. balance, coordination, and agility) to work in other forms of exercise.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
24-09-2015, 11:24 AM
(24-09-2015 11:04 AM)yakherder Wrote:  
(24-09-2015 10:28 AM)jennybee Wrote:  When I was living in the city, I would often see women walking around, digging through their purses, and talking on phones, completely oblivious to all the shit going on around them. I think that also puts "Target" right on your forehead. I wish that wasn't the case for women--to have to be on guard--but unfortunately, it is reality.

Even being on guard, shit happens. I was outside a grocery store, grabbing a cart and some random dude came up to me from behind. He put his arm around my shoulders (like you would do to a girlfriend) and started hitting on me. It was extra scary because he had his hands on me. I threw his hand off my shoulder and told him to get the fuck away from me--but that whole situation could've turned bad real fast. I also had some weird guy show up at my new house when we first moved in. My house is gated but has this decorative trellis on top of the fence. I took my dog into my yard to go to the bathroom and I see this creepy guy peering at me through the holes in my fence, not saying anything, just staring. Luckily, I keep my gate locked from the inside. So I was like um, can I help you? And he told me he was a workman that was from Home Depot and needed to check the windows for blinds or some shit. And we had been having a lot of workmen come to my house to fix it. Still, I didn't let him in. I called my boyfriend to see if he scheduled something with Home Depot, he said he didn't. I told the guy to leave and he sat in his car in my driveway and wouldn't leave for awhile. It was pretty scary. Anyway, I definitely want to do something to be able to protect myself.

I've been really interested in taking Krav Maga for awhile. I watched some videos with this lady who really kicks ass. However, I didn't know if it was really something a woman could use in terms of protection against a male attacker or if it was just staged fighting in the videos (kind of like Joe Rogan said about the videos they were watching).

I am vegan and do yoga and believe in a peaceful existence, however, I would not think twice about killing someone in self-defense. I think the sprinting practice is a good idea. It would be much better to get out of the situation instead of having to engage in some sort of altercation.

Though not directly related, this episode of Fight Quest featured Krav Maga. One of the two instructors they deal with in a scary female.

That's the same lady i was watching! I thought she was bad ass Thumbsup

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
24-09-2015, 11:36 AM
This is the one I saw her (Avivit Cohen) in and I fangirled Heart

[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
24-09-2015, 11:39 AM
(24-09-2015 11:36 AM)jennybee Wrote:  This is the one I saw her (Avivit Cohen) in and I fangirled Heart

Cool. A lot of the same footage as the show, but it looks like they included a couple scenes that might have been cut.

'Murican Canadian
24-09-2015, 11:59 AM
(24-09-2015 11:39 AM)yakherder Wrote:  
(24-09-2015 11:36 AM)jennybee Wrote:  This is the one I saw her (Avivit Cohen) in and I fangirled Heart

Cool. A lot of the same footage as the show, but it looks like they included a couple scenes that might have been cut.

Smile Thanks for the self defense links, btw Thumbsup

24-09-2015, 10:25 PM
Well, I think there is something to be said about not being very 'good' at certain things, and for me, atheism was one such thing. lol The struggles that I've had over the past two years, have been real. Not earth shattering, I can't get out of bed struggles but...just a sense of longing for my faith life. But, logically...I don't believe what I once did, and know that faith is not based on logic. Last week, something happened to me, and it led me back to faith. I can't explain it, but...I'm tired of the struggle, and for now, going to see where the path leads. I've made nice friends on here, hopefully you will still accept me. I won't turn into an annoying theist who tries to convert you. lol

Anywho, just wanted that off my chest.

Have been running all week, the gym to follow this weekend. Just have been too lazy to drive my car up to the gym after work. But, my running has been going great. Happy Friday!!! Heart

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 5 users Like Deidre32's post
24-09-2015, 11:05 PM
(24-09-2015 10:25 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  Well, I think there is something to be said about not being very 'good' at certain things, and for me, atheism was one such thing. lol The struggles that I've had over the past two years, have been real. Not earth shattering, I can't get out of bed struggles but...just a sense of longing for my faith life. But, logically...I don't believe what I once did, and know that faith is not based on logic. Last week, something happened to me, and it led me back to faith. I can't explain it, but...I'm tired of the struggle, and for now, going to see where the path leads. I've made nice friends on here, hopefully you will still accept me. I won't turn into an annoying theist who tries to convert you. lol

Anywho, just wanted that off my chest.

Have been running all week, the gym to follow this weekend. Just have been too lazy to drive my car up to the gym after work. But, my running has been going great. Happy Friday!!! Heart

Of course! We'll always accept you. Hug You have to follow the path that feels right for you whether it's atheism or something else. Heart

[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
25-09-2015, 12:25 AM
(24-09-2015 11:05 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Of course! We'll always accept you.

Nevar! She must be punished! A sensuous massage should teach her the error of her ways Angry Failing that we may have to resort to stronger measures.

Deidre, you know us Wink You're one of us now, not because you're an atheist but because you're a friend. We know you're not the evangelical type, and that's my only real objection to religion - well the only one I can think of at the moment.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
25-09-2015, 07:57 AM (This post was last modified: 25-09-2015 08:02 AM by jennybee.)
(25-09-2015 12:25 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(24-09-2015 11:05 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Of course! We'll always accept you.

Nevar! She must be punished! A sensuous massage should teach her the error of her ways Angry Failing that we may have to resort to stronger measures.

Deidre, you know us Wink You're one of us now, not because you're an atheist but because you're a friend. We know you're not the evangelical type, and that's my only real objection to religion - well the only one I can think of at the moment.

Plus, we still need your hotness and motivation in the Workout thread Yes It wouldn't be the same without you Sad

[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post