Atheists who work out

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
26-09-2015, 03:13 PM
RE: Atheists who work out
My martial art is heavily based on the concept of running away...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
26-09-2015, 03:24 PM
(26-09-2015 03:13 PM)morondog Wrote:  My martial art is heavily based on the concept of running away...

Well, you're a marathon runner so you have a definite advantage. Big Grin It does seem like the best option is to run away--if you can outrun your attacker.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
26-09-2015, 03:41 PM
(26-09-2015 03:24 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(26-09-2015 03:13 PM)morondog Wrote:  My martial art is heavily based on the concept of running away...

Well, you're a marathon runner so you have a definite advantage. Big Grin It does seem like the best option is to run away--if you can outrun your attacker.

As long as the attacker is reasonably slow over short distances and isn't prepared to run 42 k I'm safe Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
26-09-2015, 03:41 PM
(26-09-2015 03:07 PM)jennybee Wrote:  At the Krav Maga Institute near me, I noticed on their website that there is a female instructor who gives private lessons. While I would like to take these classes for fun and for a work out--I primarily am interested in them as a form of self-defense. From the standpoint of self-defense--would there be any advantage to having a female instructor over a male instructor? Or a male instead of a female? Do you think I could really protect myself with these moves in a real world situation?

If she can teach, no

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
26-09-2015, 04:19 PM
(26-09-2015 03:41 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(26-09-2015 03:24 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Well, you're a marathon runner so you have a definite advantage. Big Grin It does seem like the best option is to run away--if you can outrun your attacker.

As long as the attacker is reasonably slow over short distances and isn't prepared to run 42 k I'm safe Tongue

Big Grin

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
26-09-2015, 04:49 PM
I'm being bad tonight, having a friend over and we are eating pizza and watching a movie. Sometimes, you have to induuuulge. YesAngel

Have you ever ordered pizza online? It's so cool. You can even leave the tip and the website tells you exactly when it will arrive. Big Grin

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes Deidre32's post
26-09-2015, 05:13 PM
(26-09-2015 03:07 PM)jennybee Wrote:  At the Krav Maga Institute near me, I noticed on their website that there is a female instructor who gives private lessons. While I would like to take these classes for fun and for a work out--I primarily am interested in them as a form of self-defense. From the standpoint of self-defense--would there be any advantage to having a female instructor over a male instructor? Or a male instead of a female? Do you think I could really protect myself with these moves in a real world situation?

You can increase your chances of being able to protect yourself, but nothing can ever truly guarantee your safety.

As for whether to choose the male or female instructor for private lessons... The advantage to a female instructor, especially if she has a similar build, is that she'll have a better idea of how to tailor her knowledge to you. The advantage to having a male is going to be in adding reality to your sparring. You will want practice with people who fit the demographic of those whom you are training to defend yourself against, and that means young or middle aged males who outweigh you. You want to be used to going a few rounds with them before you get into a situation where it actually matters, even if it means you have to swallow your pride and get beat a lot more than if you stuck to your weight class, so to speak.

Beyond that, the background of the instructor is probably more important than their sex. Have they been in street fights? Have they competed? Do they know what it's like to take a punch and fight through it, or are they purely academic martial artists who can go through the routines but don't have any basis as to whether or not their own version of their martial art works?

My advice would be to pick one as a primary but moonlight on them from time to time to at least get a taste of both worlds.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post
26-09-2015, 05:33 PM
They also have a women's self defense courses at this place--they seem a lil more "hard core" than something you'd find at say the YMCA.

I actually really like that these women's self defense classes are situation specific:

Ground Fighting
On Vacation
In and Around a Car
Under the Knife
Mugging
At your Front Door

Thanks for the advice. They have little write ups on each of the instructors, so I'll check out their experience level.

26-09-2015, 07:21 PM
(26-09-2015 04:49 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  I'm being bad tonight, having a friend over and we are eating pizza and watching a movie. Sometimes, you have to induuuulge. YesAngel

Have you ever ordered pizza online? It's so cool. You can even leave the tip and the website tells you exactly when it will arrive. Big Grin

Sounds like a fun night Smile. I'm indulging right now at an indian restaurant. I swear their lentil fried dough and lentil soup (methu vada) is so freakin' good! Drooling

[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
26-09-2015, 07:25 PM

So you're into Parkour then? Tongue

[Image: wpid-photo-2013-02-12-958-pm.jpg]

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 2 users Like Can_of_Beans's post