Atheists who work out

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
05-10-2015, 03:50 PM
RE: Atheists who work out
(05-10-2015 03:22 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(05-10-2015 03:20 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Play music and watch tv or a movie while you do it. You could also run drills where you are on the bike for X amount of time and then hop off and do push ups or mountain climbers (etc.) and then get back on the bike for X amount of time, hop off do drills, then repeat...

Oh! I like the drill idea. I already watch shows when I use it but it's just getting old. Lol.

Yeah, drills are great. It will also help make it more of a total body workout.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-10-2015, 05:23 PM
They got a row machine at the gym at my armory that has a little game on it where you're a fish trying to dodge obstacles and escape other fish. It's corny but I suppose it qualifies as adding something to make it more interesting.

Maybe that stuff has been around a while and I'm just now noticing. Not a big fan if machines myself. My own philosophy is if you still have the frame of mind to watch TV or play a game, you need to up your intensity. It's not a workout if your lunch doesn't come back up Tongue. Now I'm sounding like a Crossfit cultist.

'Murican Canadian
05-10-2015, 05:44 PM
(05-10-2015 05:23 PM)yakherder Wrote:  They got a row machine at the gym at my armory that has a little game on it where you're a fish trying to dodge obstacles and escape other fish. It's corny but I suppose it qualifies as adding something to make it more interesting.

Maybe that stuff has been around a while and I'm just now noticing. Not a big fan if machines myself. My own philosophy is if you still have the frame of mind to watch TV or play a game, you need to up your intensity. It's not a workout if your lunch doesn't come back up Tongue. Now I'm sounding like a Crossfit cultist.

I'm not big into machines either. That's one of the reasons I love yoga. You don't need anything but your own body.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
05-10-2015, 06:05 PM
(05-10-2015 03:17 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Anyone have any tips on how to make a stationary bike interesting? *zzzzz*

Intervals.

2 - 3 min low intensity warmup

crank up the resistance and go all out for 30 seconds

Reduce resistance to lowest setting and pedal at a moderate pace for 60 seconds

repeat for 20 - 25 minutes

2 - 3 min low intensity cool down

It's hard to *zzzzzz* when your legs are on fire. Thumbsup

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 2 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
05-10-2015, 06:12 PM
(05-10-2015 07:37 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(05-10-2015 03:25 AM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  Yeah, we noticed. Dodgy

I doubt anyone is complaining though. Big Grin

So can you do Firely pose? I looked it up in the Yoga Journal and probably wouldn't make it through step 1. Blush

I can, it took me awhile to be able to do though. It definitely did not happen overnight. I practice yoga for about an hour to 2 hours a day now and I'm kinda crazy about it Tongue If I'm not in the studio, I do it at my house.

If you work on strengthening your arms and work on your balance in crow and do a lot of prep hip openers and split work prior to doing firefly (like we did in class), it makes getting into the pose a lot easier. I've been recently doing some aerial yoga as well--which I have found pulls me out even more. I really want to get an aerial yoga swing for my house. Big Grin

I had a two year stretch where I was commuting about 2.5 - 3 hours per day. Combine that with a sedentary desk job, and I lost a lot of flexibility. No

I should probably make a habit of daily mobility work too, so I can get that back.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 2 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
05-10-2015, 06:22 PM
I Heart this thread, it feels like our own lil sanctuary. Big Grin

Went for a run tonight, and took a different way back home, and there was a dog (rather large) in the distance, that looked to be running around on his own, and so I had to take a different way home...a longer way, but I guess that's good. I ran fast too. Always some strange adventure lately when I go running. Unsure

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 4 users Like Deidre32's post
05-10-2015, 06:47 PM
(05-10-2015 06:22 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  I Heart this thread, it feels like our own lil sanctuary. Big Grin

But what about...

(05-10-2015 07:47 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(04-10-2015 02:07 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  Now that I'm back to faith...

Wait a minute! Back the truck up... tell all. Wink

...says the creeper in the window.

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
05-10-2015, 08:49 PM
(05-10-2015 06:05 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  
(05-10-2015 03:17 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Anyone have any tips on how to make a stationary bike interesting? *zzzzz*

Intervals.

2 - 3 min low intensity warmup

crank up the resistance and go all out for 30 seconds

Reduce resistance to lowest setting and pedal at a moderate pace for 60 seconds

repeat for 20 - 25 minutes

2 - 3 min low intensity cool down

It's hard to *zzzzzz* when your legs are on fire. Thumbsup

Popsugar also has some good stationary bike workouts for you to mix it up. Just Google Popsugar stationary bike workouts and several will come up. I've used a few of their treadmill workouts in the past.

[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
05-10-2015, 09:07 PM
(05-10-2015 07:47 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(04-10-2015 02:07 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  Now that I'm back to faith...

Wait a minute! Back the truck up... tell all. Wink

I'm just reading these back posts. Big Grin

Well, if I told you what led me back to Christianity (not just faith Gasp ) you wouldn't believe me. But, I'm happy ...so... Yes

Laugh out load I'm glad you're in this thread.

[+] 3 users Like Deidre32's post
05-10-2015, 09:09 PM
(05-10-2015 06:12 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  
(05-10-2015 07:37 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I can, it took me awhile to be able to do though. It definitely did not happen overnight. I practice yoga for about an hour to 2 hours a day now and I'm kinda crazy about it Tongue If I'm not in the studio, I do it at my house.

If you work on strengthening your arms and work on your balance in crow and do a lot of prep hip openers and split work prior to doing firefly (like we did in class), it makes getting into the pose a lot easier. I've been recently doing some aerial yoga as well--which I have found pulls me out even more. I really want to get an aerial yoga swing for my house. Big Grin

I had a two year stretch where I was commuting about 2.5 - 3 hours per day. Combine that with a sedentary desk job, and I lost a lot of flexibility. No

I should probably make a habit of daily mobility work too, so I can get that back.
You could become a Yoga instructor. Big Grin

[+] 2 users Like Deidre32's post