Atheists who work out

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
17-11-2014, 05:35 PM
RE: Atheists who work out
(17-11-2014 03:55 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(16-11-2014 03:50 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Sounds tough

If you're just looking to lose weight and get fit I'd avoid this kind of thing - it's very likely to result in injury. Once you've got yourself into regular exercise then you can consider tough workouts but for now, important to be patient and regular, more than worrying about how fast you're going, how much weight you're losing etc.

As I man that lost weight and avoided injury doing interval training I say do it, It burns calories much faster(and it build testosterone faster as well) I say do the interval training, but go the best you can do intensely, you can lose weight fast

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-11-2014, 05:48 PM
(13-11-2014 06:38 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  
(13-11-2014 06:33 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  awww! I have been thinking about you, hoping you are all doing well. Heart

Tonight, I had a most stellar run! Went a little over 5 miles, a pretty steady pace the entire time, and towards the end, did some speed work. Pretty happy with it tonight. Can't believe it gets dark so early. I need to buy some bright running tee's or something, as I don't always run on the sidewalk and don't want to get run over. Unsure (I often wear a black cami or tank and black yoga pants, so might need to change it up since it's getting dark so early now)

Hope everyone has found some time to workout this week. Here's to health. Thumbsup

I had my knee therapy today, so I did the elliptical for 15 mins at level 15 speed 75ish RPMs, did 14 sets of squats, 5 sets of lunges, 5 sets of 50 rep leg extensions, and having finished my leg "therapy" and now all warmed up, I changed shirts and put on the battle gear Laugh out load and went into the main gym and did 8 sets of seated military presses from 135lb to 225lb, then did 8 sets of seated cable rows with 200 lbs, then did 8 sets of lat pulldowns from 120 - 220 lbs, then did 6 sets of dumbell curls with 40s, and 4 sets of hammer curls with 35s -45s...and right about there I stopped sweating and start getting light headed....all stop Weeping shake and shower time...now I sit here after eatign half a lasagna and I can barely form a thought Laugh out load

You sound very strong; heavy into cardio too.Yes
I used to love leg extensions but my right knee is playing up a lot, other one lesser.
Could be arthritis so I am resting the extensions and concentrating on long power walks. Jogging sometimes causes me calf strains, and a long rest, so I need to avoid that too.
With no legs I can concentrate on upper body/abs moreYes

Re military press, watch the rotator cuff, also behind neck lat pulldowns.
18-11-2014, 12:52 PM
I need motivation. Between being sick, travel for work and kids band activities, October completely messed up my schedule. Now it is cold and I am lacking conviction to get out in it to get back on track. At least I have been able to make one 4.5 mile run a week during all this. I have not been on my bike in a few weeks, which really bothers me.
19-11-2014, 04:22 PM
(17-11-2014 03:55 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(16-11-2014 03:50 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Sounds tough

If you're just looking to lose weight and get fit I'd avoid this kind of thing - it's very likely to result in injury. Once you've got yourself into regular exercise then you can consider tough workouts but for now, important to be patient and regular, more than worrying about how fast you're going, how much weight you're losing etc.

Just try to make sure you make those few minutes every week (initially, extend it as time goes by), don't *overdo it*, get enough sleep, and try to eat reasonably healthy food - I shall not provide a def of what healthy food is 'cos it's easier to say what it ain't - pizza & coke.

Of course if you try to force yourself to never eat another pizza again it's just not gonna work, so same trick as with the exercise, you have a certain amount of leeway built in for cheating in your diet - think of it as rewarding yourself. OK so *if* I do this exercise routine today *then* I can have a treat later. Just be careful not to reward yourself too much Wink

Other thing is, this will take a bit of time to show results, but you'll start to feel better after a few weeks.
- You have better, more regular sleep patterns.
- You feel more alive, literally.
- Eventually fat starts to come off, but don't expect it to happen all at once.
- Weight is a bad thing to measure since muscle actually weighs more than fat, so you may *increase* in weight - if you are overweight though, you will lose some. But the primary thing you look for is how your body *looks* rather than weight. Also you can calculate your BMI as a rough idea of how fit you are - plenty of tools for that on the web.

Thanks for advice! I will def remember all that.

(17-11-2014 05:16 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  
(16-11-2014 12:11 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  I don't work out but I want to start, I look like a pregnant man Sadcryface2. Have an exercise bike which I think I'll start using and maybe go for runs when it becomes summer again. I would die if I tried to run in Michigan winter.

(((hugs))) Maybe join a gym? I find that to be incredibly helpful and motivating. Diet is the key though to it all. If you work out, but don't change your diet, you won't see your hard work come to fruition...but you already know this, I'm sure. I'm just ...repeating it. Big Grin Angel

Find something you Heart to do, and start out slow. Eventually, it will be something you look forward to. I like Zeke's idea of interval training.

I want to join a gym but I have to find a job first to get the money. If i can get a pretty labor intensive job, I can also use that to my advantage.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
19-11-2014, 04:55 PM
(17-11-2014 05:48 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(13-11-2014 06:38 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  I had my knee therapy today, so I did the elliptical for 15 mins at level 15 speed 75ish RPMs, did 14 sets of squats, 5 sets of lunges, 5 sets of 50 rep leg extensions, and having finished my leg "therapy" and now all warmed up, I changed shirts and put on the battle gear Laugh out load and went into the main gym and did 8 sets of seated military presses from 135lb to 225lb, then did 8 sets of seated cable rows with 200 lbs, then did 8 sets of lat pulldowns from 120 - 220 lbs, then did 6 sets of dumbell curls with 40s, and 4 sets of hammer curls with 35s -45s...and right about there I stopped sweating and start getting light headed....all stop Weeping shake and shower time...now I sit here after eatign half a lasagna and I can barely form a thought Laugh out load

You sound very strong; heavy into cardio too.Yes
I used to love leg extensions but my right knee is playing up a lot, other one lesser.
Could be arthritis so I am resting the extensions and concentrating on long power walks. Jogging sometimes causes me calf strains, and a long rest, so I need to avoid that too.
With no legs I can concentrate on upper body/abs moreYes

Re military press, watch the rotator cuff, also behind neck lat pulldowns.

What type of leg extensions do you do? I'm only familiar with the ballet kind. So you use weights?

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
19-11-2014, 05:06 PM
(19-11-2014 04:22 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(17-11-2014 03:55 PM)morondog Wrote:  If you're just looking to lose weight and get fit I'd avoid this kind of thing - it's very likely to result in injury. Once you've got yourself into regular exercise then you can consider tough workouts but for now, important to be patient and regular, more than worrying about how fast you're going, how much weight you're losing etc.

Just try to make sure you make those few minutes every week (initially, extend it as time goes by), don't *overdo it*, get enough sleep, and try to eat reasonably healthy food - I shall not provide a def of what healthy food is 'cos it's easier to say what it ain't - pizza & coke.

Of course if you try to force yourself to never eat another pizza again it's just not gonna work, so same trick as with the exercise, you have a certain amount of leeway built in for cheating in your diet - think of it as rewarding yourself. OK so *if* I do this exercise routine today *then* I can have a treat later. Just be careful not to reward yourself too much Wink

Other thing is, this will take a bit of time to show results, but you'll start to feel better after a few weeks.
- You have better, more regular sleep patterns.
- You feel more alive, literally.
- Eventually fat starts to come off, but don't expect it to happen all at once.
- Weight is a bad thing to measure since muscle actually weighs more than fat, so you may *increase* in weight - if you are overweight though, you will lose some. But the primary thing you look for is how your body *looks* rather than weight. Also you can calculate your BMI as a rough idea of how fit you are - plenty of tools for that on the web.

Thanks for advice! I will def remember all that.

(17-11-2014 05:16 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  (((hugs))) Maybe join a gym? I find that to be incredibly helpful and motivating. Diet is the key though to it all. If you work out, but don't change your diet, you won't see your hard work come to fruition...but you already know this, I'm sure. I'm just ...repeating it. Big Grin Angel

Find something you Heart to do, and start out slow. Eventually, it will be something you look forward to. I like Zeke's idea of interval training.

I want to join a gym but I have to find a job first to get the money. If i can get a pretty labor intensive job, I can also use that to my advantage.

Why use a gym if you can workout at home?

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
19-11-2014, 05:18 PM
(19-11-2014 05:06 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(19-11-2014 04:22 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Thanks for advice! I will def remember all that.

Why use a gym if you can workout at home?

Well a gym has more options and I live in an apartment complex. I don't think my neighbors would appreciate the noise.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
19-11-2014, 06:14 PM
(19-11-2014 05:18 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(19-11-2014 05:06 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  Why use a gym if you can workout at home?

Well a gym has more options and I live in an apartment complex. I don't think my neighbors would appreciate the noise.

You got to do what you got to do, a gym is good, but if you need to workout at home you must.

[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
19-11-2014, 08:35 PM
Gyms are nice, but far from necessary.

If you have trouble finding motivation to work out, a gym community or classes can help you maintain your motivation. If you're body building, having a lot more equipment than you could afford gives you more options for isolating specific groups. But for most people, it's unnecessary. With little more than a jump rope, a backpack full of books or other makeshift weight, and a bit of creativity, you can get into beastly condition. And most people are just interested in the generic "in shape."

I've got a power tower (pull ups, dips, etc) right next to my bed, some military style sea bags full of gravel, a weighted vest, a jump rope, some portable gymnastic rings, some homemade medicine balls I made basically by injecting sand into some old basketballs, and some resistance bands. There is very little I can do with a fully equipped gym that I couldn't do with this setup, and I can get to it the second my feet hit the ground in the morning. The power tower is the only remotely expensive thing I've got and is an unnecessary luxury. I could throw the gym rings over the garage rafters, a tree branch, or anything else strong enough to support my weight and accomplish the same thing. Unless I have a a goal that requires a very specific piece of equipment or a swimming pool or something, I can't think of a good reason to pay for the inconvenience of having to go to a gym.

'Murican Canadian
19-11-2014, 08:53 PM
to each their own; I like to pick shit up and put it down....a lot. Drooling

[Image: 21b3teb.jpg]

[Image: alqgqx.jpg]

[Image: 2h7m5hi.jpg]

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)