Atheists who work out

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
28-11-2014, 01:03 PM
RE: Atheists who work out
(28-11-2014 12:50 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(28-11-2014 04:47 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  I wish I could find the motivation to start working out. I've found it once or twice in my life, but I can never keep it up.

I just feel that unless I devote my life to it, it won't have any results.

Having seen pictures of you, I'd say you'd better get started 'cause you are soooooo fat. Dodgy

Consider I'm not convinced. Please post your work for consideration.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-11-2014, 01:27 PM
(28-11-2014 12:50 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(28-11-2014 04:47 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  I wish I could find the motivation to start working out. I've found it once or twice in my life, but I can never keep it up.

Having seen pictures of you, I'd say you'd better get started 'cause you are soooooo fat. Dodgy

Haha, I have actually gained a tiny bit of weight Blush

Seriously though, it's more about the future, I may be able to maintain a normal weight now, but what about in ten years? It's also about my health and my complete lack of physical fitness. I feel weak and unhealthy and I want to change that.

Martial arts and gyms are out of the question because I have no money for that.

I wanted to start running, but I'm in such bad shape that I could never go past the walking stage. I could always run for a few seconds and then I was exhausted and my lungs were on fire.

What can I do? Weeping

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
28-11-2014, 02:08 PM
It's about strength too. Cool I like the look of strength, both on men and women. Yes It's nice seeing you in this thread, underground. Hug

For me today, ran roughly 4 miles, steady pace. No intervals. Tomorrow, the gym. Didn't want to go today, to the gym, because historically, gyms are packed the day after thanksgiving. Laugh out load

nice to see you guys keeping up the great work!

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 7 users Like Deidre32's post
28-11-2014, 02:21 PM
(28-11-2014 02:08 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  It's about strength too. Cool I like the look of strength, both on men and women. Yes It's nice seeing you in this thread, underground. Hug

For me today, ran roughly 4 miles, steady pace. No intervals. Tomorrow, the gym. Didn't want to go today, to the gym, because historically, gyms are packed the day after thanksgiving. Laugh out load

nice to see you guys keeping up the great work!

What ever you do don't workout every muscle in your body and make sure one set for each is 14 reps.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
28-11-2014, 02:28 PM
(28-11-2014 01:27 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  I wanted to start running, but I'm in such bad shape that I could never go past the walking stage. I could always run for a few seconds and then I was exhausted and my lungs were on fire.

What can I do? Weeping

The trick is, of course, that you start by walking Wink Don't run right away. I initially followed a programme that I found in a book, which the first five weeks were walking, and finally right at the end of the fifth week the guy said "go for a 5 minute run". I'll see if I can find it. One of the important aspects was to take days off during the first few weeks - to not force yourself to do it every day. But that's where a schedule helps - you can look forward to your day off but because you have a schedule you are not tempted to say "oh I'm feeling tired, I'll just take a rest day today".

IIRC the first week was something like Monday 5 min walk, Tues 10 min, Weds day off, Thurs 5 min walk, Friday 10 min walk, Sat 5 min walk, Sun day off. It sounds like silly, stupid lengths of time to be exercising for, but the point of the first few weeks is a. to get your bones stronger so they can take the pounding when you start actually running b. get you into the habit of setting time aside to exercise.

Otherwise there are several "couch to 5 K" programmes available, just pick one and go steady with it Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
28-11-2014, 02:32 PM
(28-11-2014 02:28 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(28-11-2014 01:27 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  I wanted to start running, but I'm in such bad shape that I could never go past the walking stage. I could always run for a few seconds and then I was exhausted and my lungs were on fire.

What can I do? Weeping

The trick is, of course, that you start by walking Wink Don't run right away. I initially followed a programme that I found in a book, which the first five weeks were walking, and finally right at the end of the fifth week the guy said "go for a 5 minute run". I'll see if I can find it. One of the important aspects was to take days off during the first few weeks - to not force yourself to do it every day. But that's where a schedule helps - you can look forward to your day off but because you have a schedule you are not tempted to say "oh I'm feeling tired, I'll just take a rest day today".

IIRC the first week was something like Monday 5 min walk, Tues 10 min, Weds day off, Thurs 5 min walk, Friday 10 min walk, Sat 5 min walk, Sun day off. It sounds like silly, stupid lengths of time to be exercising for, but the point of the first few weeks is a. to get your bones stronger so they can take the pounding when you start actually running b. get you into the habit of setting time aside to exercise.

Otherwise there are several "couch to 5 K" programmes available, just pick one and go steady with it Smile

That actually sounds interesting! I always had a problem with setting up a schedule for myself, and I could never commit to those that are too strict from the very first days. But boy, that one sounds so tempting Tongue

I'm really interested, it would be great if you could find it Smile

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
28-11-2014, 02:42 PM
(28-11-2014 02:32 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  That actually sounds interesting! I always had a problem with setting up a schedule for myself, and I could never commit to those that are too strict from the very first days. But boy, that one sounds so tempting Tongue

I'm really interested, it would be great if you could find it Smile

Hokay Smile I'll look for it - pretty sure I know where it is.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
28-11-2014, 02:46 PM
(28-11-2014 07:02 AM)morondog Wrote:  

It *is* a lifestyle, rather than just a hobby, I find... But you can get into it gradually. The trick (for me anyway) is not to *force* yourself every day to get up and work out - if you do that you end up not enjoying it. So you need to start with light exercise and only increase the workouts slowly. It helps to maintain your motivation if you can find a friend to do it with too. If you've committed to your friend then you will be much less likely to roll over and go back to sleep when you've got a workout planned.

Another trick is to enter an event. I entered a half-marathon when I first started running. I was terrified that I was gonna pitch up and not finish it, which made me quite disciplined about training. In the end I ran it even though I felt that I wasn't quite ready and it was fine.

I think the major problem if you're new to this kinda thing though is just not knowing how far you can push yourself, how much is too much, how much is too little - that stuff, if you can find either a more knowledgeable friend or a trainer, is also possible to overcome.
I agree, it is very much a life style thing, one could almost call it a passion.
While I never reached marathon standard I did do a lot of fun runs 5> 10 kms.
In my mid sixties I joined a vet harriers club. The oldies were really competitive, some running ultra marathons. Didn't last too long.
These days, due to a dicky knee and repeated calf strains I have to restrict my running considerably. For what it's worth my physio strongly advised, re my knee,to avoid seated leg extensions.........even worse than the pec-'wreck'.
28-11-2014, 07:11 PM
(28-11-2014 10:31 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  Meh, Mauy thai, capoeira, krav maga, and jui jujitsu is what I recommend.

Actually I'd be more into Kung Fu or Karate.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
28-11-2014, 07:33 PM
(28-11-2014 07:11 PM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  
(28-11-2014 10:31 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  Meh, Mauy thai, capoeira, krav maga, and jui jujitsu is what I recommend.

Actually I'd be more into Kung Fu or Karate.

What ever floats your boat
(pick kung fu)

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube