Atheists who work out

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
31-12-2015, 03:19 PM
RE: Atheists who work out
(31-12-2015 03:01 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  
(31-12-2015 12:52 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I hated Bally's. They actually had a lawsuit due to deceitful contract practices years ago. It was a class action and I was able to get out of my two year contract with them.

I can believe that. I went in to sign up based on a deal I saw on TV. The manager said they didn't have that promotion anymore, so I picked what I considered the next best plan. A few days later I saw the commercial again and was kind of pissed, but I didn't know if the girl lied to me or was just dumb or lazy, but based on your experience it sounds like it was just part of the Bally business model. Dodgy

However...there was about eight years after that initial contract period expired where I only paid about $10/month and actually used their facilities, so that kind of made up for it. They probably hated me. Big Grin

I went into Bally's with a friend of mine who wanted to join. I was really into running at that point in my life and always found that my runs suffered due to the harsh winters in MA. I would run in the nice weather, build myself up to a point, and then the snow came Undecided

I hated treadmills and this particular Bally's had an indoor track. I told the guy I was signing up with that I only wanted a three month contract for the winter months because I *only* wanted to use the track. I lifted weights at my house and my parents had an Olympic sized inground swimming pool and I used those things to work out, so I really didn't need the gym beyond the track in the winter. The sales guy told me that was fine and assured me that was what I was signing up for.

I was young and did not read the fine print on the contract like I should have and I ended up signing up for two years. So it was kind of my fault too. But I do think the guy took advantage of two young girls coming into his office looking to sign up for a gym membership. My dad, being the business man that he was, of course, was all over me for not reading the entire contract. He told me that I should take that as a valuable lesson to always read every bit of any contract before signing on the dotted line. It was a good lesson to learn and I certainly make sure I read every part of a contract now. So in that sense, Bally's was a good learning experience. Thumbsup
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
31-12-2015, 03:24 PM (This post was last modified: 31-12-2015 03:33 PM by Can_of_Beans.)
(31-12-2015 03:19 PM)jennybee Wrote:  It was a good lesson to learn and I certainly make sure I read every part of a contract now. So in that sense, Bally's was a good learning experience. Thumbsup

That's the same lesson I learned from Fitness USA. The guy behind the desk kept telling I could cancel at any time, but the contract said you're locked in until you pay it off.

Guess who was right. Dodgy

But, like you, I'm glad I learned the lesson with a gym membership rather than something bigger.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 2 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
31-12-2015, 03:26 PM
(31-12-2015 03:15 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I bought a three year plan at LA Fitness which brought the payments down to about $12 a month. I have a friend who teaches yoga there and I take her classes. We actually went to the same ballet school for a while. She's a great yoga teacher.

I've gone to other places and they smelled and were filthy and cluttered. This one is super duper clean and I like the architecture of the building and it has different levels with a nice sweeping staircase.

[Image: 261.jpg]

I think this is a different LA Fitness but the one I go to has a very similar floorplan.

[Image: lafitness3.jpg]

It's just a real neat place. It's very airy and open and like I said, very clean.

That looks great! It's so open and airy. I'd expect a place like that to cost at least $50/month.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 1 user Likes Can_of_Beans's post
31-12-2015, 03:35 PM
(31-12-2015 03:24 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  
(31-12-2015 03:19 PM)jennybee Wrote:  It was a good lesson to learn and I certainly make sure I read every part of a contract now. So in that sense, Bally's was a good learning experience. Thumbsup

That's the same lesson I learned from Fitness USA. The guy behind the desk kept telling I could cancel at any time, but the contract said you're locked in until you pay it off.

Guys who was right. Dodgy

But, like you, I'm glad I learned the lesson with a gym membership rather than something bigger.

Yeah, I kept telling my dad "But the guy saidddd...." My dad's response: "It doesn't matter what he said, it matters what you signed!"

I agree--so glad it was only a Bally's contract and nothing more.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
31-12-2015, 05:52 PM
(31-12-2015 03:35 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(31-12-2015 03:24 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  That's the same lesson I learned from Fitness USA. The guy behind the desk kept telling I could cancel at any time, but the contract said you're locked in until you pay it off.

Guys who was right. Dodgy

Yeah, I kept telling my dad "But the guy saidddd...." My dad's response: "It doesn't matter what he said, it matters what you signed!"

I wish the lessons I've learned in life hadn't been from being so stupid. Unfortunately most everything of value I've learned has been from falling on my face and doing something completely stupid. Dodgy

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
01-01-2016, 04:41 PM
(31-12-2015 07:20 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(31-12-2015 12:43 AM)Deidre32 Wrote:  Went out tonight for drinks with fiance and friends....we have pretty much the same friends, I was initially introduced to him through a mutual friend. That's the way to go...forget dating sites. Forget random encounters. Well...lol I'd say meet someone through a friend, it's awesome if it works out.

Anyways, worked out earlier, just a 30 minute jog. Honestly, the sugary candies I've consumed in the past 48 hours, is terrible. Sad

I'm off of work until into next week, yay! Big Grin

So agree! I would rather date a friend or meet through mutual friends. I hate dating sites!

But you got to have friends first bro.

News to all, I can see progress Tongue

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
01-01-2016, 05:14 PM
(31-12-2015 05:52 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(31-12-2015 03:35 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Yeah, I kept telling my dad "But the guy saidddd...." My dad's response: "It doesn't matter what he said, it matters what you signed!"

I wish the lessons I've learned in life hadn't been from being so stupid. Unfortunately most everything of value I've learned has been from falling on my face and doing something completely stupid. Dodgy

Wisdom comes by learning from experience.

Experience comes by learning from our mistakes.

Mistakes come from lack of wisdom and experience. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
01-01-2016, 08:46 PM
(01-01-2016 05:14 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(31-12-2015 05:52 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I wish the lessons I've learned in life hadn't been from being so stupid. Unfortunately most everything of value I've learned has been from falling on my face and doing something completely stupid. Dodgy

Wisdom comes by learning from experience.

Yoda, is that you? Big Grin But, what you say is true.

Did some yoga today, and it was awesome. Makes me wonder why I get away from it. I think having time off is allowing me to rediscover some old loves.

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes Deidre32's post
01-01-2016, 09:04 PM
(01-01-2016 08:46 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  
(01-01-2016 05:14 PM)Chas Wrote:  Wisdom comes by learning from experience.

Yoda, is that you? Big Grin But, what you say is true.

Did some yoga today, and it was awesome. Makes me wonder why I get away from it. I think having time off is allowing me to rediscover some old loves.

So glad you are getting into yoga again!
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
02-01-2016, 01:00 PM
Dug out the Yaktrax for the first time this season and went for a little jog pulling my son in his sled. He thought it was a blast. I told him to pretend he was Santa and I was Rudolph.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post