Atheists who work out

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
17-12-2014, 04:57 PM
RE: Atheists who work out
LadyWallFlower,

Itchy legs is a new one to me so I don't really know. However, I found this:
http://running.about.com/od/illnessesand...sing_5.htm
(Sorry about the title - honestly I don't know why it should be "embarrassing", it just is what it is - annoying, but not embarrassing.)

The web page suggests that it's related to low fitness level and that it should go away as fitness increases. You may want to start with a lower intensity exercise (walking, for example) for awhile to raise your fitness level before running.

Honestly though, I'd probably also bring it up with your doctor. A Google search indicates there could be other causes (an allergy is one I saw, for example).

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
18-12-2014, 07:18 AM
(17-12-2014 04:57 PM)Impulse Wrote:  LadyWallFlower,

Itchy legs is a new one to me so I don't really know. However, I found this:
http://running.about.com/od/illnessesand...sing_5.htm
(Sorry about the title - honestly I don't know why it should be "embarrassing", it just is what it is - annoying, but not embarrassing.)

The web page suggests that it's related to low fitness level and that it should go away as fitness increases. You may want to start with a lower intensity exercise (walking, for example) for awhile to raise your fitness level before running.

Honestly though, I'd probably also bring it up with your doctor. A Google search indicates there could be other causes (an allergy is one I saw, for example).

Hmm, I haven't worked out hard for a while...that could be it. I've been slacking. I'll definitely have to ask my doctor though.
I did T25 a while back, and my legs were slightly itchy in the beginning and then stopped as I progressed. For some reason jogging makes them way more itchy than any other form of exercise.

"Most people are other people.
Their thoughts are someone else's opinions,
their lives a mimicry,
their passions a quotation."
-Oscar Wilde
[+] 1 user Likes LadyWallFlower's post
18-12-2014, 08:47 AM
That's it. I'm logging out and going for a run. I need to get back in shape. For 28, I did a bazillion 5Ks and a whopping 15 mile obstacle course. I was in fantastic shape and felt great. For 29 all I've done is Warrior Dash in the spring, and have been lazy ever since.

Fuck you, stress. New goal: earn the orange headband next summer to welcome in my 30s. Back to the trails and P90X for prep.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post
18-12-2014, 11:50 AM
1.5 miles. Gawd tried to troll me and it started raining. It was cold. It was slow. Aaaannnnd it felt awesome. Best part of the cold- winter means no snakes.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post
18-12-2014, 02:58 PM
(18-12-2014 11:50 AM)Nurse Wrote:  1.5 miles. Gawd tried to troll me and it started raining. It was cold. It was slow. Aaaannnnd it felt awesome. Best part of the cold- winter means no snakes.

Well played Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
18-12-2014, 05:03 PM
(18-12-2014 02:58 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(18-12-2014 11:50 AM)Nurse Wrote:  1.5 miles. Gawd tried to troll me and it started raining. It was cold. It was slow. Aaaannnnd it felt awesome. Best part of the cold- winter means no snakes.

Well played Smile

Thanks Big Grin gotta start somewhere.

The Tough Mudder for Tennessee in May is at the same location where I've done a Warrior Dash and only an hour from my house. Holy shit those were some steep climbs! It's the only one I didn't enjoy - a lot of people had injuries. I'm not comfortable with only 6 months of training for 10-12 miles (16-19K) of steep hills and obstacles. No thanks. Dallas and Las Vegas have runs in October - much more feasible time frame.

18-12-2014, 05:08 PM
(18-12-2014 08:47 AM)Nurse Wrote:  That's it. I'm logging out and going for a run. I need to get back in shape. For 28, I did a bazillion 5Ks and a whopping 15 mile obstacle course. I was in fantastic shape and felt great. For 29 all I've done is Warrior Dash in the spring, and have been lazy ever since.

Fuck you, stress. New goal: earn the orange headband next summer to welcome in my 30s. Back to the trails and P90X for prep.

Good for you, I'll follow.
At nearly 73 I still enjoy gyming and jogging(more often PW these days)
As the old saying goes.....'use it or lose it":thumbsup:
[+] 2 users Like Mr Woof's post
18-12-2014, 11:25 PM
(18-12-2014 05:03 PM)Nurse Wrote:  I'm not comfortable with only 6 months of training for 10-12 miles (16-19K) of steep hills and obstacles. No thanks. Dallas and Las Vegas have runs in October - much more feasible time frame.

6 months is a looooooooong time to train Tongue

Anyway I'm here to report that I've fallen off the wagon Sad Hardly run at all this week. I shalt haveth to trieth harder...eth...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
19-12-2014, 01:56 PM

Great job. Thumbsup

(18-12-2014 11:25 PM)morondog Wrote:  Anyway I'm here to report that I've fallen off the wagon Sad Hardly run at all this week. I shalt haveth to trieth harder...eth...

Don't worry about it. Sometimes you just need a break. The important thing is not to let it go too long. A week isn't much.

================================================

Me? I'm now at the peak of my marathon training with the marathon just 3 weeks from this Sunday. I have a 20-miler to run tomorrow. In general, things have been going well, but I still get minor twinges in the calf that I had pulled. It always happens between runs, not during, so I don't think it's really a problem. But it's just enough to keep me constantly guessing about whether I'm going to be able to make it this year. I've been running a bit faster for my last three long runs (8:45 - 9:00 per mile) though, so in general things are looking up.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
21-12-2014, 06:07 PM
I ran the 20 miles yesterday and everything went well. I stayed dead on a 9 minute/mile pace the whole way finishing at 2:59:26. This felt comfortable for the first 15 miles, but I was a bit out of breath for the last 5. I ordinarily would have taken it easier for the long distance, but my running schedule is going to be messed up for the next 2 weeks due to holiday work hours changes and holiday traveling. I'll probably be running fewer miles than I should so I figured it wouldn't hurt if I have to spend longer than usual recuperating. This also really helped boost my confidence that I have a chance at beating my marathon time from last year. Since I have had to take it somewhat easy during training due to my prior injuries, I've been thinking that it may be a long shot to beat my time.. but not anymore. Smile

[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post