Atheists who work out

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
17-02-2016, 02:18 PM
RE: Atheists who work out
(17-02-2016 02:15 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  
(17-02-2016 01:56 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Sounds fun! I haven't tried spinning yet, but several of my friends swear by it.

It is fun! I used to do a lot of cycling when I was in high school, so it kind of takes me back. When summer gets here I might need to get a real bike and get out on the road again. Yes

(17-02-2016 02:00 PM)morondog Wrote:  I tried it. It's OK I guess. Not something I'd do by choice.

I guess that's why they say "to each their own." I haven't tried a marathon but after two 5Ks, I'm pretty sure I never will. Like Gimli, I'm a natural sprinter, very dangerous over short distances. Tongue

I love biking outdoors, so I might like spinning. I would love to get a mountain bike--I haven't done that yet--but looks so fun!

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
17-02-2016, 02:42 PM
(17-02-2016 02:18 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(17-02-2016 02:15 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  It is fun! I used to do a lot of cycling when I was in high school, so it kind of takes me back. When summer gets here I might need to get a real bike and get out on the road again. Yes

I guess that's why they say "to each their own." I haven't tried a marathon but after two 5Ks, I'm pretty sure I never will. Like Gimli, I'm a natural sprinter, very dangerous over short distances. Tongue

I love biking outdoors, so I might like spinning. I would love to get a mountain bike--I haven't done that yet--but looks so fun!

I haven't tried mountain biking either - I always stuck to the road back then, but I was skinny, snobby and fit the part. Now that I've got some muscle to carry around and a beard, the Roadie tribe might reject me, so I might not have a choice this time. And, honestly, mountain bikers look like they're having more fun, so that might not be a bad thing.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 1 user Likes Can_of_Beans's post
17-02-2016, 03:06 PM
(17-02-2016 02:42 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  
(17-02-2016 02:18 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I love biking outdoors, so I might like spinning. I would love to get a mountain bike--I haven't done that yet--but looks so fun!

I haven't tried mountain biking either - I always stuck to the road back then, but I was skinny, snobby and fit the part. Now that I've got some muscle to carry around and a beard, the Roadie tribe might reject me, so I might not have a choice this time. And, honestly, mountain bikers look like they're having more fun, so that might not be a bad thing.

I like biking around scenic places, especially when I go on vacation--so nice and pretty to explore on a bike. But I agree with you, mountain biking, in some ways, suits my personality better too.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
17-02-2016, 08:47 PM
(17-02-2016 02:03 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(17-02-2016 02:00 PM)morondog Wrote:  I tried it. It's OK I guess. Not something I'd do by choice.

Seems like it would be a great cardio workout. I prefer to do my cardio outdoors running or hiking, but I live in CA and can do that year round. Once I move I'm going to have to figure out some other ways to get some cardio in the winter since Maine gets hit pretty hard with snow.

Winter workouts in the snow are themselves not fundamentally different. Just the mindset necessary to make yourself go out and do them Smile

If you're just looking to go for a jog, grab some yaktrax and some suitable shoes and go. You'll expend more effort and move slower, which can be frustrating if you're trying to micromanage your pace in preparation for a race that will NOT take place on ice. But as for the workout itself, the principals remain the same. I've got an assortment of mostly homemade equipment I put together for snow training. My previously mentioned weighted sled, snow shoes are always fun. Just tromping around on the same trails you always use, with the addition of snow and snowshoes, makes for one hell of a lower body endurance workout. If you, or anyone for that matter, ever want some suggestions, I'm all about this stuff.

I honestly love training in shitty weather of any type. Quite possibly because I'm simply an egotistical bastard, possibly a bit masochistic, and I kind of enjoy the looks I get from all the soft people sitting behind their windows, having successfully convinced themselves it's too rainy, cold, hot, etc. to go outside Evil_monster

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
17-02-2016, 09:42 PM
(17-02-2016 08:47 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(17-02-2016 02:03 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Seems like it would be a great cardio workout. I prefer to do my cardio outdoors running or hiking, but I live in CA and can do that year round. Once I move I'm going to have to figure out some other ways to get some cardio in the winter since Maine gets hit pretty hard with snow.

Winter workouts in the snow are themselves not fundamentally different. Just the mindset necessary to make yourself go out and do them Smile

If you're just looking to go for a jog, grab some yaktrax and some suitable shoes and go. You'll expend more effort and move slower, which can be frustrating if you're trying to micromanage your pace in preparation for a race that will NOT take place on ice. But as for the workout itself, the principals remain the same. I've got an assortment of mostly homemade equipment I put together for snow training. My previously mentioned weighted sled, snow shoes are always fun. Just tromping around on the same trails you always use, with the addition of snow and snowshoes, makes for one hell of a lower body endurance workout. If you, or anyone for that matter, ever want some suggestions, I'm all about this stuff.

I honestly love training in shitty weather of any type. Quite possibly because I'm simply an egotistical bastard, possibly a bit masochistic, and I kind of enjoy the looks I get from all the soft people sitting behind their windows, having successfully convinced themselves it's too rainy, cold, hot, etc. to go outside Evil_monster

I was thinking of cross country skiing, snowboarding, and skiing as some winter cardio fun activities, those are the things I used to do in MA in the wintertime. I would like to try snowshoeing and the yaktrax look really fun to use too. I'm going to have to invest in some warm clothes, my Cali attire is just not going to cut it during harsh Maine winters Wink Luckily, I'm in CA til the summer--then off to Maine so I can enjoy summer workout activities while I make plans for my winter workouts. But yes, I would love to hear some winter workout ideas Thumbsup

17-02-2016, 11:07 PM
(17-02-2016 08:47 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(17-02-2016 02:03 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Seems like it would be a great cardio workout. I prefer to do my cardio outdoors running or hiking, but I live in CA and can do that year round. Once I move I'm going to have to figure out some other ways to get some cardio in the winter since Maine gets hit pretty hard with snow.

Wang Chi: A brave man likes the feel of nature on his face, Jack.
Egg Shen: Yeah, and a wise man has enough sense to get in out of the rain!

[Image: big+trubs+brave+man.JPG]

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 3 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
18-02-2016, 09:56 AM
As some of you know, I'm going to be opening my own yoga studio. I found these ideas online and thought these business cards/marketing tools were so cute!

[Image: 6266294c221f629f7ddfe65fea4f0059.jpg]

[Image: Yoga-Instructor-11.jpg]

[Image: creative-business-cards-4-5.jpg]

[Image: creative-business-cards-60.jpg]

Stretchy business card

[Image: 40bcards24.jpg]

[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
18-02-2016, 10:57 AM
Those seem fun, but let's break them down. Some of this might sound harsh, but please keep in mind it's coming from a place of love. Rolleyes Seriously though, I just want your yoga studio to thrive and prosper. Thumbsup

(18-02-2016 09:56 AM)jennybee Wrote:  As some of you know, I'm going to be opening my own yoga studio. I found these ideas online and thought these business cards/marketing tools were so cute!

[Image: 6266294c221f629f7ddfe65fea4f0059.jpg]

It looks like it would fit in someone's wallet or business card filing system, so that's good. Without fingers though, it looks like the poor girl is an amputee. Sad

(18-02-2016 09:56 AM)jennybee Wrote:  [Image: Yoga-Instructor-11.jpg]

Have you ever tried to hold onto a fortune cookie fortune? I have, and it turns out they're really easy to loose. I do like how you can read the phone number or email without twisting the card though.

(18-02-2016 09:56 AM)jennybee Wrote:  [Image: creative-business-cards-4-5.jpg]

I like this. Thumbsup Hopefully it unrolls to a standard business card length though, other wise it might be awkward to store. It will also take up a bit of space if you want to carry several on your person.

(18-02-2016 09:56 AM)jennybee Wrote:  [Image: creative-business-cards-60.jpg]

I hate to be mean, but this business "card" is designed to go straight into the trash. What do you do if someone gives you a straw? If it goes in your purse or pocket, it's going to get mangled. If you have no place to put it, how long do you think you'll hold onto it? Undecided

(18-02-2016 09:56 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Stretchy business card

With two hands stretching the card, which hand is going to dial the phone number? Consider

-Rowan Atkinson
18-02-2016, 12:43 PM
(18-02-2016 10:57 AM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  Those seem fun, but let's break them down. Some of this might sound harsh, but please keep in mind it's coming from a place of love. Rolleyes Seri. Sad

jennybee daline='1455810973' Wrote:  [im
(18-02-2016 09:56 AM)jennybee Wrote:  [Image: creative-business-cards-4-5.jpg]

I like this. Thumbsup Hopefully it unrolls to a standard business card length though, oterson.

(18-02-2016 09:56 AM)jennybee Wrote:  [Image: creative-business-cards-60.jpg]

I hate to be mean, but this business "card" is designed to go straight into the trash. What do you do if someone gives you a straw? If it goes in your purse or pocket, it's going to get mangled. If you have no place to put it, how long do you think you'll hold onto it? Undecided

(18-02-2016 09:56 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Stretchy business card

With two hands stretching the card, which hand is going to dial the phone number? Consider

I just thought those were cute. Not that I would 100 percent use any or all of them. I just thought the straws, for instance, were adorable, but I don't think I would use them, unless I added a juice bar. Valid points you raise though-so thank you Big Grin

I do like the creative business card idea, it makes people take a second look at you. Most people don't look at business cards--you are absolutely right. But if there's a creative business card sitting on a counter at a random juice bar etc. and it looks interesting--a person is more apt to pick it up and look at it as opposed to ignoring it completely. The business card on top would be my first choice because it fits in your wallet and yet is creative and different. I didn't think the lady looked like an amputee until now Wink Obviously, the business cards are one way to market, but certainly not the *only.* But I do appreciate your input and looking out for me Smile

I have a pretty strong, solid business plan in place. My ex is an attorney and was a business major and put together my business plan for me prior to our break up. He's definitely successful and makes a shit ton of money, so I'm pretty confident in the plan he's put together for me. I also took several law, business, and strategic marketing courses in college, so I'm not just going into this thing flailing around Wink

18-02-2016, 12:55 PM
(18-02-2016 12:43 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(18-02-2016 10:57 AM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  Those seem fun, but let's break them down. Some of this might sound harsh, but please keep in mind it's coming from a place of love. Rolleyes Seri. Sad

I like this. Thumbsup Hopefully it unrolls to a standard business card length though, oterson.

I just thought those were cute. Not that I would 100 percent use any or all of them. I just thought the straws, for instance, were adorable, but I don't think I would use them, unless I added a juice bar. Valid points you raise though-so thank you Big Grin

I do like the creative business card idea, it makes people take a second look at you. Most people don't look at business cards--you are absolutely right. But if there's a creative business card sitting on a counter at a random juice bar etc. and it looks interesting--a person is more apt to pick it up and look at it as opposed to ignoring it completely. The business card on top would be my first choice because it fits in your wallet and yet is creative and different. I didn't think the lady looked like an amputee until now Wink Obviously, the business cards are one way to market, but certainly not the *only.* But I do appreciate your input and looking out for me Smile

I have a pretty strong, solid business plan in place. My ex is an attorney and was a business major and put together my business plan for me prior to our break up. He's definitely successful and makes a shit ton of money, so I'm pretty confident in the plan he's put together for me. I also took several law, business, and strategic marketing courses in college, so I'm not just going into this thing flailing around Wink

Sounds like you've got this handled! Thumbsup

-Rowan Atkinson