Atheists who work out

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
20-10-2014, 06:24 AM
RE: Atheists who work out
I'm usually a pilates girl, but I started doing yoga last week and I love it! It makes me feel refreshed and relaxed. I'm finding myself actually wanting to do it, which is weird for me because I usually don't want to do anything. Tongue

I'm also trying to add more weight training into my routine, which I also like, but I have to force myself to do it.

Cardio is just out of the question. I hate cardio. Censored

"Most people are other people.
Their thoughts are someone else's opinions,
their lives a mimicry,
their passions a quotation."
-Oscar Wilde
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes LadyWallFlower's post
20-10-2014, 07:23 AM
So far, its just walkiing my daughter to/from school and taking the little dog for a walk 2-3 times a day, we get about 2 miles in.

I have finally reached the point where I am enjoying it (the weather cooling off helped) and find myself making the walks a little bit longer every week. Its beginning to feel good rather than exhausting me, but its taken 2 months.

I get my upper body workout from carrying boxes to/from the storage unit, sorting and purging many of our belongings. Our house is going on a major diet.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
20-10-2014, 08:19 AM
I usually run 4+ miles three times a week and cycle 40+ miles on Sat and Sun. Football season is tough with my older kids in HS band and my son playing rec football. That occupies one of my running days and one of my cycling days. I work my diet by controlling the volume and staying light on the carbs and junk. Not sure how this week is going to go. I am a little under the weather and probably will take it easy to try and not get sick.
[+] 1 user Likes wazzel's post
20-10-2014, 10:26 AM
So how do you guys motivate yourself to actually work out? I find that anytime i get a good run of gym time going something either comes up that gets in the way or i get an unrelated injury that means i cant do it for a time.

When that happens i struggle to find the motivation to get back into it.
My current issue is im so fucked from uni that i just don't have the energy to do anything.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes FSM_scot's post
20-10-2014, 11:21 AM
I'm also a distance runner. I run 5 times a week and do some other strength training with weights twice a week. I ran my first marathon last year and am currently training for another one coming in January. I might not make it though. I was out for 2 months in July and August due to a calf pull and spent September slowly building my mileage back. I seem to have gotten over that fine, but have now moved on to some achilles tendonitis (or maybe a pull, I'm not sure) on the same side over the weekend. I'm currently resting and evaluating it to see how bad it is. I'm hoping I can cross train for a week or two and be back running after that. We'll see. I had almost signed up for a different marathon that would have been next month. Now I'm glad I chose the January one. At least I still have a chance to make it. Smile

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 3 users Like Impulse's post
20-10-2014, 11:22 AM
(20-10-2014 10:26 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  So how do you guys motivate yourself to actually work out?

For me, it has to be first thing in the early morning. It's the only time I can be sure won't get displaced by something else that comes up.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
20-10-2014, 12:20 PM
(20-10-2014 10:26 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  So how do you guys motivate yourself to actually work out? I find that anytime i get a good run of gym time going something either comes up that gets in the way or i get an unrelated injury that means i cant do it for a time.

My current issue is im so fucked from uni that i just don't have the energy to do anything.

I lost over 60 lbs. I started walking and riding short distances just to do something. When the weight started to come off it made me want to keep going. Now that it is off I do not want it back.
[+] 2 users Like wazzel's post
20-10-2014, 04:26 PM
Re: RE: Atheists who work out
(20-10-2014 10:26 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  So how do you guys motivate yourself to actually work out? I find that anytime i get a good run of gym time going something either comes up that gets in the way or i get an unrelated injury that means i cant do it for a time.

For me, its time for listening to podcasts. I don't do any fancy set regime like others here though.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
22-10-2014, 09:14 AM (This post was last modified: 22-10-2014 09:22 AM by Deidre32.)

Fitness has to be a priority, even if it's just 30 minutes a few times per week. I view it like if I have time to chat online for a few hours per week, I have time to exercise. All about priorities.

And also it's all about finding something you like to do because that is the only way you will stay consistent. I enjoy running and so it is easier for me to make the time for it.

My update from yesterday:

CF yesterday...squats and lunges with ab work and push ups.
Then, went for a run.

Here's to health! Hope you find a little time to exercise today everyone!
Heart

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes Deidre32's post
22-10-2014, 09:16 AM
(19-10-2014 09:08 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I have a clothes rack...um..treadmill.

Dodgy

I'll clear off the clothes tonight.
Maybe.

Lol!

(20-10-2014 03:55 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  The gym and I seem to be at odds at the moment and I see no resolution in the near future. Weeping

Time for you both to kiss and make up. Lol
Big Grin

Be true to yourself. Heart