Atheists who work out

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
05-05-2016, 09:11 AM
RE: Atheists who work out
(05-05-2016 08:52 AM)yakherder Wrote:  
(05-05-2016 08:41 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I'm not much for gyms myself even though I used to work in one. I think it's much better to find an activity that you enjoy and go do that. For example, if it's snowboarding--go do that and then do conditioning activities to enhance your sport. You're much more apt to stick with something you enjoy doing.

I don't currently have a gym membership. The few things that interest me are becoming harder and harder to find. A good lap pool, an indoor track for when I want to work on pace setting and there's like 8 feet of snow outside... Those are the things I can't do in my living room or the woods behind the house.

I'm personally into odd objects and improvised or homemade equipment. I have a near complete gym at my disposal composed of rocks and logs laying around or do it yourself projects I pieced together with cheap shit I found at home depot, and even all that isn't necessary for most people. The goals of the average person looking for the genetic "get in shape and perhaps add a little muscle definition" can easily be met with bodyweight exercises, random stuff everyone has in their house, and a little creativity.

I love body weight activities. That's why I love yoga--lots of arm balances and poses that utilize your own body weight--especially once you get into the more advanced poses. You really have to rely on yourself and your own balance and own strength and own focus. And body weight exercises you can do anywhere and with no equipment, so no excuses.

I would think using the home depot things would keep things fun. I get bored easily with typical gym things--for ex. I can't just run on a treadmill, I prefer to run outside with my dog. So I think using creative things with logs and rocks would be much more fun to use than gym-style weights.

All that said, I do think everyone needs to find what works for them. One of my friends loves the gym and couldn't imagine not going. I used to go to the gym A LOT and worked at one even though I didn't love it, but I wanted to be in shape so I went crazy there. I'm much happier now with just doing yoga, Krav Maga, running, and hiking.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
05-05-2016, 10:28 AM
Certainly nothing wrong with the gym, it has its place. Especially for people with goals that rely on isolation, such as more advanced body builders.

In my case, I spent so much time on the move and away from home as a young adult that I didn't have much choice but to find alternatives. Now that I've found those alternatives, I have trouble finding a rational reason to dump a bunch of money into a gym 15 minutes away when I can accomplish the same thing without it.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
05-05-2016, 11:11 AM
(04-05-2016 06:33 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(04-05-2016 06:05 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Smile

I take that as a yes. Figured I wanted to do yoga. But if it lowers testosterone I am out.

Rolleyes

Better stop eating tomatoes and anything with lycopene then. Better be in bed early and avoid sugar until you're post workout. Better avoid a shit ton of stuff you probably do..
05-05-2016, 03:41 PM
I've been so hungry lately. I've been doing so much yoga and have been very active so I'm like hungry every two hours. I'm trying to stick to small meals like they say you should to keep your metabolism revved, but man I just want to feast. Wink

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
05-05-2016, 11:22 PM
Speedwork this morno Smile 2:45 for 800m. Fastest I've done it all year Smile There was a guy who ran 59 for 400 m. This ain't on a track mind you. Just grass. Coach reckons we can take off another few seconds per person if we find a track. That means ol' Bennie will be hitting the low 55s. For a distance runner that is *shifting*.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
07-05-2016, 02:48 PM
I'm thinking of going to the park early in the morning and running along the grass. I'm not so great at running, but I want to get better. I've always been self conscious about it because I've been told I don't run properly.

07-05-2016, 03:22 PM
(07-05-2016 02:48 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  I'm thinking of going to the park early in the morning and running along the grass. I'm not so great at running, but I want to get better. I've always been self conscious about it because I've been told I don't run properly.

Who cares what anyone else thinks. If you want to run at the park, run at the park. Plus, if you go in the early morning, not many people will be there anyway. Also, I don't think there's really any right or wrong way to look when you are running, so don't listen to whoever told you that. Big Grin

07-05-2016, 03:25 PM
(07-05-2016 03:22 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(07-05-2016 02:48 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  I'm thinking of going to the park early in the morning and running along the grass. I'm not so great at running, but I want to get better. I've always been self conscious about it because I've been told I don't run properly.

Who cares what anyone else thinks. If you want to run at the park, run at the park. Plus, if you go in the early morning, not many people will be there anyway. Also, I don't think there's really any right or wrong way to look when you are running, so don't listen to whoever told you that. Big Grin

Yeah, and I get to wait for the sunrise too. Smile

[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post
07-05-2016, 03:29 PM
(07-05-2016 03:25 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  
(07-05-2016 03:22 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Who cares what anyone else thinks. If you want to run at the park, run at the park. Plus, if you go in the early morning, not many people will be there anyway. Also, I don't think there's really any right or wrong way to look when you are running, so don't listen to whoever told you that. Big Grin

Yeah, and I get to wait for the sunrise too. Smile

If you lived closer, I'd run with you Thumbsup Early morning runs are great esp. with the sunrise!

07-05-2016, 07:49 PM
(07-05-2016 03:29 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(07-05-2016 03:25 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  Yeah, and I get to wait for the sunrise too. Smile

If you lived closer, I'd run with you Thumbsup Early morning runs are great esp. with the sunrise!

I'm downloading some awesome music now for the runs. Some club music and other electronic stuff. Looking forward to it. Yes

[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post