Atheists who work out

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
07-05-2016, 09:18 PM
RE: Atheists who work out
(07-05-2016 07:49 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  
(07-05-2016 03:29 PM)jennybee Wrote:  If you lived closer, I'd run with you Thumbsup Early morning runs are great esp. with the sunrise!

I'm downloading some awesome music now for the runs. Some club music and other electronic stuff. Looking forward to it. Yes

Happy running Thumbsup
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-05-2016, 11:00 PM
(07-05-2016 02:48 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  I'm thinking of going to the park early in the morning and running along the grass. I'm not so great at running, but I want to get better. I've always been self conscious about it because I've been told I don't run properly.

It's worth looking up proper form on YouTube. Proper and improper form can be the difference between a healthy exercise and screwed up knees and shin splints.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post
07-05-2016, 11:55 PM
(07-05-2016 11:00 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(07-05-2016 02:48 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  I'm thinking of going to the park early in the morning and running along the grass. I'm not so great at running, but I want to get better. I've always been self conscious about it because I've been told I don't run properly.

It's worth looking up proper form on YouTube. Proper and improper form can be the difference between a healthy exercise and screwed up knees and shin splints.

The main advice I've found is not to bounce too much - if you watch Kenyans or Ethiopians on youtube they all run totally smoothly - the energy all goes into forward motion and not into bouncing up and down. Running style is quite a personal thing though, because everyone's different - your body shape and size - length of leg etc. determine a lot of things. Important to experiment.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
08-05-2016, 05:05 AM
(07-05-2016 11:55 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(07-05-2016 11:00 PM)yakherder Wrote:  It's worth looking up proper form on YouTube. Proper and improper form can be the difference between a healthy exercise and screwed up knees and shin splints.

The main advice I've found is not to bounce too much - if you watch Kenyans or Ethiopians on youtube they all run totally smoothly - the energy all goes into forward motion and not into bouncing up and down. Running style is quite a personal thing though, because everyone's different - your body shape and size - length of leg etc. determine a lot of things. Important to experiment.

Agreed. I used to run a lot and I think it's important to find your own stride. A good warm up and cool down with stretching is important too. It sounded to me like the person who told him he didn't run properly did it in an asshole-ish teasing way to make him feel self-conscious about himself. Maybe I took it wrong, and the person was actually trying to help him. I do think there are ways to improve your stride and form through conditioning exercises and like YH and you mentioned, through additional techniques.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
08-05-2016, 06:23 AM
To some degree there is personal preference involved. But as with weight lifting there are also methods that have been shown to reduce efficiency and lead to injuries over time, such as running with your heels striking the ground.

In any case, it's worth doing a Google and hitting up YouTube and searching for running form just to see what all the legitimate and self proclaimed experts have to say.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
08-05-2016, 09:26 AM
I went for the run. It was great. No one around, either. This was the field: [Image: 5mAE1A3.jpg]

I'm not able to make it all the way around yet, but I can get kind of far. Not pushing myself too hard.

[+] 2 users Like GenesisNemesis's post
24-05-2016, 08:17 PM
Tomorrow our brief training cycle ends in true cavalry tradition with a day of hell in the form of a spur ride which will incorporate some mountaineering elements, given our brigade specialty in mountain warfare, and it all begins with a standard fitness evaluation.

So over the course of the day, which starts at 3:00am, I will:
- Run 2 miles and do pushups/situps.
- Do a 10 mile ruck march up to the mountain warfare training site carrying about 60 pounds of equipment and my M4.
- At some point, there will be a river or ravine for which we must construct a single rope style bridge and get ourselves and our equipment across.
- At the training site we will conduct tests in mountaineering, to include knot tying, rappeling, etc, land navigation with compass/protractor, maintenance and stress fire / marksmanship with the M4, M9, M240B, M249, and MK19, and combat lifesaving / first aid.

Everyone who both finishes the ruck march and passes all the evaluations to standard will be entered into the order of the spur, if they aren't already, and be allowed to wear silver spurs with their Army dress uniform, assuming they don't already have gold spurs (earned in combat). And as a bonus incentive, first 30 to finish get a ride back down the mountain in a Chinook, weather permitting. Everyone else gets to throw their rucks back on and march back down the mountain.

Looking forward to it, I genuinely love this shit. But also under no delusions. By this time tomorrow, I'm gonna be hurting Tongue

'Murican Canadian
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post
24-05-2016, 10:24 PM
(24-05-2016 08:17 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Tomorrow our brief training cycle ends in true cavalry tradition with a day of hell in the form of a spur ride which will incorporate some mountaineering elements, given our brigade specialty in mountain warfare, and it all begins with a standard fitness evaluation.

So over the course of the day, which starts at 3:00am, I will:
- Run 2 miles and do pushups/situps.
- Do a 10 mile ruck march up to the mountain warfare training site carrying about 60 pounds of equipment and my M4.
- At some point, there will be a river or ravine for which we must construct a single rope style bridge and get ourselves and our equipment across.
- At the training site we will conduct tests in mountaineering, to include knot tying, rappeling, etc, land navigation with compass/protractor, maintenance and stress fire / marksmanship with the M4, M9, M240B, M249, and MK19, and combat lifesaving / first aid.

Everyone who both finishes the ruck march and passes all the evaluations to standard will be entered into the order of the spur, if they aren't already, and be allowed to wear silver spurs with their Army dress uniform, assuming they don't already have gold spurs (earned in combat). And as a bonus incentive, first 30 to finish get a ride back down the mountain in a Chinook, weather permitting. Everyone else gets to throw their rucks back on and march back down the mountain.

Looking forward to it, I genuinely love this shit. But also under no delusions. By this time tomorrow, I'm gonna be hurting Tongue

Good luck! I'd fail at "starts at 3:00 am" Blush Laugh out load

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
26-05-2016, 03:48 PM
Although I'm sure 50 km/h isn't much on an exercise bike for the common health freak, I'm sure it's decent for a FAAAAT ASSES guy like me.

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
26-05-2016, 10:15 PM
I finished yesterday exhausted but otherwise fine. Waking up this morning, however, I felt like a broken old man Sadcryface2. That'll heal pretty quick, though. What's got me agitated are the multiple pairs of ~20$ socks I completely destroyed during yesterday's events and over the course of the two weeks that preceded it.

All the other guys are out getting drunk in celebration. Not my cup of tea Tongue. I'm thinking a green apple Gatorade and a protein drink, followed by the first night of full sleep in a while, sounds much more enticing.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post