Atheists who work out

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
12-01-2015, 11:57 PM
RE: Atheists who work out
(12-01-2015 09:29 AM)Impulse Wrote:  I went out too fast and held a 8:48/mile pace for the first 17 miles. Then everything fell apart and I was so out of energy I didn't know if I would be able to finish at all.
Oh man, I can *so* relate. So hard to go slow at the start. Running is weird like that. If you push too hard too early you can't slow down and recover - you've spent the energy and now you pay the price. Big congrats for managing to force yourself onward Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
13-01-2015, 08:45 AM
(12-01-2015 11:57 PM)morondog Wrote:  Oh man, I can *so* relate. So hard to go slow at the start. Running is weird like that. If you push too hard too early you can't slow down and recover - you've spent the energy and now you pay the price. Big congrats for managing to force yourself onward Smile

Thanks morondog. Yes, that's exactly what happened. I knew early on that I was going too fast and I decided to slow down, but the next time I looked at my watch I was running exactly the same pace. That happened repeatedly until I finally gave up trying to slow down anymore.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
13-01-2015, 06:46 PM
Damn I miss riding a bike. Sad So much fun. Some years ago I reached almost guru level for "in the middle of traffic". xD

I've recently started going on the treadmill, 1 km per day (about 0.6 miles) because it takes me about 10 minutes to do it and I like that fast schedule lol, and also re-started doing push-ups... from the start. Dodgy

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
[+] 1 user Likes The Polyglot Atheist's post
14-01-2015, 10:13 AM
(13-01-2015 06:46 PM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  I've recently started going on the treadmill, 1 km per day (about 0.6 miles) because it takes me about 10 minutes to do it and I like that fast schedule lol, and also re-started doing push-ups... from the start. Dodgy

Starting is the hardest part. Good job and keep it up! Thumbsup

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
14-01-2015, 10:17 AM
(12-01-2015 03:32 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(12-01-2015 10:10 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I'll stick with my three hour ballet classes and yoga, long walks up a nearby steep hill and bike riding to the store for groceries with my dorky bike basket.

You sound pretty fit Smile Holy %^#$^%$ ??? 3 hour ballet. I think I'd die...

Almost any kind of dancing is good for the brain. If the steps are even slightly complex the brain gets a workout too.

But I like to bike to the store for groceries. When I do take the car to the store I park as far away as I can and walk, then I lug the groceries back to the car. I also have an old fashioned push lawn mower which means that sometimes, like in the fall, I have to rake leaves in order to mow the lawn. So a push mower adds several other tasks on top of just the mowing.

Except for the dancing, I like to expend calories doing practical things so I'm getting stuff done at the same time as working out. It's called life, I guess.

I'm a member of a gym but I also park faaaaaaaar away and walk to the gym. I find it funny that gym members park as close to the front door as possible and then go in and walk on a machine. But whatever.....everyone's different.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
14-01-2015, 10:59 AM
(14-01-2015 10:13 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(13-01-2015 06:46 PM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  I've recently started going on the treadmill, 1 km per day (about 0.6 miles) because it takes me about 10 minutes to do it and I like that fast schedule lol, and also re-started doing push-ups... from the start. Dodgy

Starting is the hardest part. Good job and keep it up! Thumbsup

I was a fool to stop in the first place some years ago. Weeping

孤独 - The Out Crowd
14-01-2015, 11:03 AM
(13-01-2015 06:46 PM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  Damn I miss riding a bike. Sad So much fun. Some years ago I reached almost guru level for "in the middle of traffic". xD

I've recently started going on the treadmill, 1 km per day (about 0.6 miles) because it takes me about 10 minutes to do it and I like that fast schedule lol, and also re-started doing push-ups... from the start. Dodgy

Get some of those pushup handles. They're fantastic for sparing wrists and allowing extra range of motion for pushups. I didn't notice the ROM difference until I tried some regular pushups the other day; Seems like I'm immediately hitting my chest on the ground.

Idk if it's legit, but I've always thought cardio is only worth it if done for a minimum of 20 minutes. I'm sure 10 is still better than nothing, but the 20 minute thing might have just been some misinformation my gym teacher told me in highschool.. Never looked it up.
14-01-2015, 12:30 PM
(14-01-2015 11:03 AM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Get some of those pushup handles. They're fantastic for sparing wrists and allowing extra range of motion for pushups. I didn't notice the ROM difference until I tried some regular pushups the other day; Seems like I'm immediately hitting my chest on the ground.

Oh interesting. I'll look into it! Thanks. Big Grin

(14-01-2015 11:03 AM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Idk if it's legit, but I've always thought cardio is only worth it if done for a minimum of 20 minutes. I'm sure 10 is still better than nothing, but the 20 minute thing might have just been some misinformation my gym teacher told me in highschool.. Never looked it up.

Ah well, I might have to look into it. I know 10 minutes is not much, I might increase it in the long run (pun not intended).

Speaking of which... I skipped it today... ¬_¬

孤独 - The Out Crowd
14-01-2015, 07:49 PM
Did some capoeira today. Got to make my kicks faster, my punches are so much better though.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 2 users Like Metazoa Zeke's post
15-01-2015, 10:36 AM
I haven't done a thing since the marathon. Today's the first day that I feel like I can walk normally again. Plus this darn cold is kicking my butt. I haven't had a cold in over 2 years and I think this one is trying to make up for it. Dodgy