Atheists who work out

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
05-09-2016, 03:25 PM
RE: Atheists who work out
(05-09-2016 03:02 PM)Coffee and TV Wrote:  Was thinking about posting my progress as a way to help me settle into my new forum but don't know if it'll be worth while.

Do it. I'll' follow it.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
05-09-2016, 04:43 PM
(05-09-2016 01:16 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(05-09-2016 12:39 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  I should go for a run, I should go for a run, I should......

I'm figuring out how Nike came up with their slogan. Unsure

They realize that buying the shoes is easier than using them, by which point their objective has already been fulfilled Tongue
lol!! I ended up running, go me! Laugh out load

(05-09-2016 03:02 PM)Coffee and TV Wrote:  Ok so 7 years ago when I lost my mother, I fell into a bit of a hole. Long story short, there was a lot of unresolved issues left behind that took quite a while to sort out. Back then I was about,

21 stone or 294 lb or about 133kg.

I decided ( after coming from a long line of amatuer athletes ) It was time to get back into the game so I took up running. I've never been a runner, hated it in fact. Dumbells and weight training was my love before my life hit the fan.

Cut out the crap, the alcohol , the junk food the lot.

As I type I'm coming in at,

15.7 stone / 219 lb or 99kg

For the past 6 months I've been running every morning on and off but from the start of this month I've been knuckling down and getting it done. Listening to youtube shows etc on my phone while I run. Luckily I live in a nice town so my run is a joy.

BUT!

I've about a stone to go / 14 lb /6kg before I hit a weight I feel comfortable with, but for the life of me I can't break through the barrier.

Any of you fine people have any pro tips on how to crank it back up or am I just paying the price for my inconsistency.

Was thinking about posting my progress as a way to help me settle into my new forum but don't know if it'll be worth while.

Hello and welcome here. It's great that you got back into working out. I'd say to just get back to consistency, and once you remain consistent, then you can move things up a notch. You could join a gym for more options too, and believe it or not, there are a lot of bodyweight type exercises you can do, if joining a gym isn't an option. And keep your diet in check, that will actually help you the most.

Sorry about the loss of your mom. Heart

You can feel free to post your progress here if you like.

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 2 users Like Deidre32's post
05-09-2016, 05:28 PM
(05-09-2016 03:02 PM)Coffee and TV Wrote:  Ok so 7 years ago when I lost my mother, I fell into a bit of a hole. Long story short, there was a lot of unresolved issues left behind that took quite a while to sort out. Back then I was about,

I decided ( after coming from a long line of amatuer athletes ) It was time to get back into the game so I took up running. I've never been a runner, hated it in fact. Dumbells and weight training was my love before my life hit the fan.

For the past 6 months I've been running every morning on and off but from the start of this month I've been knuckling down and getting it done. Listening to youtube shows etc on my phone while I run. Luckily I live in a nice town so my run is a joy.

BUT!

I've about a stone to go / 14 lb /6kg before I hit a weight I feel comfortable with, but for the life of me I can't break through the barrier.

Any of you fine people have any pro tips on how to crank it back up or am I just paying the price for my inconsistency.

Was thinking about posting my progress as a way to help me settle into my new forum but don't know if it'll be worth while.

Still doing any kind of resistance training or just running?

'Murican Canadian
07-09-2016, 03:34 AM
(05-09-2016 05:28 PM)yakherder Wrote:  

BUT!

Still doing any kind of resistance training or just running?
Zero resistance.

Between 16 to 21 I was big on weight training, used to go to the gym constantly and work myself pretty hard. Loved it. But these days if I'm honest, I think I'll just do some form of body weight exercises because I no longer enjoy waking up the next day in pain. Running is exhausting but not painful so thats probably why I enjoy it more these days.

A basic sit up / push up routine is probably my limit.

You have any suggestions in mind ?
07-09-2016, 07:13 AM (This post was last modified: 07-09-2016 07:16 AM by yakherder.)
(07-09-2016 03:34 AM)Coffee and TV Wrote:  
(05-09-2016 05:28 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Still doing any kind of resistance training or just running?
Zero resistance.

Between 16 to 21 I was big on weight training, used to go to the gym constantly and work myself pretty hard. Loved it. But these days if I'm honest, I think I'll just do some form of body weight exercises because I no longer enjoy waking up the next day in pain. Running is exhausting but not painful so thats probably why I enjoy it more these days.

I'd definitely include some form of resistance training. And resistance is resistance whether it comes from free weights or your own bodyweight. Running is awesome, but the idea of relying on it for weight loss is about 30 years outdated Smile Works fine in the beginner stage, but once your body adapts to it if you've still got a few more pounds to drop you may find them getting increasingly stubborn as your legs simply aren't as challenged as they were at first. The more muscles you work regularly, the more inefficient your body will be at conserving energy. If the intent is to shed a few pounds, metabolic inefficiency is a good thing.

If you want to keep it simple, I'd say pushups and squats are the most comprehensive bodyweight exercises you can do. If you want to be sure you're giving at least some work to all major muscle groups, particularly the ones used to balance out the ones you'd be developing with the above mentioned exercise, also include:
- Some form of pulling, i.e. pull ups or bodyweight rows to hit the muscles anterior to the ones you use for pushups.
- Hamstring curls for the muscle groups anterior to the ones used for squats. A stability ball or resistance band can be used for this.
- Some form of grip/forearm training. Probably the easiest way is to use a thick manila rope for your bodyweight rows as opposed to the traditional bars.
- Calf raises or even jumping rope while focusing on using your ankles and calf muscles to get you off the ground rather than your quads.

For almost all of the above, you can just throw on a backpack loaded with books if it gets too easy.

My own routine is bodyweight focused, but every bit as comprehensive as any free weight based routine. I just don't enjoy the gym environment.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
07-09-2016, 10:26 AM
(07-09-2016 07:13 AM)yakherder Wrote:  
(07-09-2016 03:34 AM)Coffee and TV Wrote:  Zero resistance.

I'd definitely include some form of resistance training. And resistance is resistance whether it comes from free weights or your own bodyweight. Running is awesome, but the idea of relying on it for weight loss is about 30 years outdated Smile Works fine in the beginner stage, but once your body adapts to it if you've still got a few more pounds to drop you may find them getting increasingly stubborn as your legs simply aren't as challenged as they were at first. The more muscles you work regularly, the more inefficient your body will be at conserving energy. If the intent is to shed a few pounds, metabolic inefficiency is a good thing.

If you want to keep it simple, I'd say pushups and squats are the most comprehensive bodyweight exercises you can do. If you want to be sure you're giving at least some work to all major muscle groups, particularly the ones used to balance out the ones you'd be developing with the above mentioned exercise, also include:
- Some form of pulling, i.e. pull ups or bodyweight rows to hit the muscles anterior to the ones you use for pushups.
- Hamstring curls for the muscle groups anterior to the ones used for squats. A stability ball or resistance band can be used for this.
- Some form of grip/forearm training. Probably the easiest way is to use a thick manila rope for your bodyweight rows as opposed to the traditional bars.
- Calf raises or even jumping rope while focusing on using your ankles and calf muscles to get you off the ground rather than your quads.

For almost all of the above, you can just throw on a backpack loaded with books if it gets too easy.

My own routine is bodyweight focused, but every bit as comprehensive as any free weight based routine. I just don't enjoy the gym environment.
I'll post my weight and routine tomorrow, and we'll see what needs fine tuned. A basic 30 minute blast on the body weight situation should be decent enough.

Cheers for the tips.
07-09-2016, 10:28 AM
(07-09-2016 03:34 AM)Coffee and TV Wrote:  You have any suggestions in mind ?

Planks.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
07-09-2016, 10:30 AM
(07-09-2016 10:28 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(07-09-2016 03:34 AM)Coffee and TV Wrote:  You have any suggestions in mind ?

Planks.

I prefer planks over standard sit ups. Only reason I ever so sit ups is because the antiquated army fitness test still has them.

'Murican Canadian
07-09-2016, 10:30 AM
double post

#sigh
16-09-2016, 07:05 PM
Going to try for a different workout tomorrow...kettlebells, running, and push/pull type of routine. This is NOT my idea. A few of my friends want me to try it out. I'll report my findings back. If I survive. Big Grin

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes Deidre32's post