Atheists who work out

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
02-10-2016, 03:49 PM
RE: Atheists who work out
Ran 5 miles today, then did some yoga. Now, off to have a high protein dinner with my love Cool

Be true to yourself. Heart
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Deidre32's post
04-10-2016, 09:16 AM
Hi all,

I haven't posted in here for a very long time. It's good to see many of the same people here still working out. Kudos! Thumbsup

I'm still doing my distance running. I didn't run an official marathon last year because I had to take too many trips for other reasons where a marathon wouldn't fit in. So I attempted to run my own 26.2 miles in February because it gave me something to keep motivated about. However, I ran about 23 miles and didn't finish. I stopped because I was feeling like something was really wrong - heart rate much too high while breathing was too slow (weird combination) and I had also been dealing with significant knee pain since about mile 12. I was on a trail in the middle of nowhere about a mile from anything and decided it would be a bad place to have a serious health breakdown so I stopped running. It was also starting to rain so my wife picked me up at the point 1 mile away.

Now I'm training for an official marathon again in November. I'm using a different training plan than before - this one is by heart rate and time rather than by distance. I feel like I'm in better shape than ever and I've been injury free for about a year and a half. I ran 10 miles on Saturday, 13.5 on Sunday, and I have a 70 minute run to do tonight (will be around 7.5 miles). I'm also doing core work twice per week on the days that are off from running.

Edit: Just realized the knee pain from February may have sounded like an injury, although I said I was injury free for a year and a half. That never turned into an injury. It was just some irritation that day that went away after a few days.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 4 users Like Impulse's post
04-10-2016, 09:55 AM
(04-10-2016 09:16 AM)Impulse Wrote:  Hi all,

I haven't posted in here for a very long time. It's good to see many of the same people here still working out. Kudos! Thumbsup

I'm still doing my distance running. I didn't run an official marathon last year because I had to take too many trips for other reasons where a marathon wouldn't fit in. So I attempted to run my own 26.2 miles in February because it gave me something to keep motivated about. However, I ran about 23 miles and didn't finish. I stopped because I was feeling like something was really wrong - heart rate much too high while breathing was too slow (weird combination) and I had also been dealing with significant knee pain since about mile 12. I was on a trail in the middle of nowhere about a mile from anything and decided it would be a bad place to have a serious health breakdown so I stopped running. It was also starting to rain so my wife picked me up at the point 1 mile away.

Now I'm training for an official marathon again in November. I'm using a different training plan than before - this one is by heart rate and time rather than by distance. I feel like I'm in better shape than ever and I've been injury free for about a year and a half. I ran 10 miles on Saturday, 13.5 on Sunday, and I have a 70 minute run to do tonight (will be around 7.5 miles). I'm also doing core work twice per week on the days that are off from running.

Edit: Just realized the knee pain from February may have sounded like an injury, although I said I was injury free for a year and a half. That never turned into an injury. It was just some irritation that day that went away after a few days.

Awesome man Smile I'm also doing a November marathon. I'm a bit unfit for it Confused But I like to live life on the edge Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
04-10-2016, 10:04 AM
(04-10-2016 09:55 AM)morondog Wrote:  Awesome man Smile I'm also doing a November marathon. I'm a bit unfit for it Confused But I like to live life on the edge Tongue
Great, as long as you have fun, that's what really counts. Smile

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
06-10-2016, 11:47 AM
So far this week I have logged 25 miles with two more runs to go. My goal for the year is to log 1000 miles. I just passed 700. I think it will be close, but should be able to pull it off. Had a hip injury earlier in the year, and I'm just now getting back to the level I was at before.
[+] 3 users Like JoshNew.0's post
07-10-2016, 12:52 PM
Did a little ring training after work. A decade or so ago I tried to develop the coordination to do handstand pushups on gymnastic rings and gave up on it. Trying again without much luck. Either way, ring training is quite the upper body workout, especially if you want that balance/coordination training you don't get so much of with free weights.

Anyway, bed time now.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post
17-10-2016, 05:38 PM
Hey everybody, I haven't been here in forever. Doubt anybody remembers me, but anyway, the first half of this year was pure hell on earth. I got super sick in February and it lingered into early March. In March, I thought I was getting healthier than ever (again) after going hiking with my girlfriend and her family, but April brought about another month of nagging health issues. Thankfully, I'm back in the saddle since the summer and I'm healthier than I've ever been. I take creatine religiously (just basic creatine monohydrate, about 5g daily; no need to cycle it) and lately (since late August) I've occasionally taken beef liver tablets (from Uni-Liver). Both seem to help with aches/pains plus speeding up recovery time.

I do more exercises geared towards maintaining functional strength (farmer carries/walks, pushups, jumping jacks (HIIT/plyometric stuff), burpees, squats, etc.) than something aiming for hypertrophy.

My diet could be better... my girlfriend moved in with me in June; she has aspirations of owning a bakery one day and she's always making desserts. She makes peanut butter pie from scratch, and it's AMAZING. I'm a peanut butter fiend.
[+] 5 users Like UndauntedToast's post
17-10-2016, 09:05 PM
Work out? There was this one time I tried to do a push-up... unsuccessfully.

Good job, guys, sticking with it! ^.^
[+] 3 users Like AnaBunny's post
19-10-2016, 12:01 PM
Last Army fitness test of the year next week. Having backyard access to the network of trails leading into Gatineau Park should do my running time some good. And with our recent merge with 10th mountain division some interesting training options may open up. Slots for physically demanding courses are often filled based on fitness scores so I've got a bit more incentive to be competitive this time around. If I don't vomit I didn't push myself hard enough Tongue

Once that's over with I think I'm gonna tone down the endurance training and put my focus elsewhere until I'm about two months out from the next test (probably April).

'Murican Canadian
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post
23-10-2016, 03:44 PM
Cross fit work today, with core stuff and kettlebells. Then, a 40 minute spin class! It was a great day at the gym. Smile

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 3 users Like Deidre32's post