Atheists who work out

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
23-11-2016, 10:49 PM
RE: Atheists who work out
(23-11-2016 03:49 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Grog read this. How Running and Endurance Training Can Shorten Your Life Tongue
Lol, I'm not worried. I literally get amazed looks from my doctor about how healthy my checkups are and I've had only 1 cold in the 4 years since I started running again. Prior to that, I had 1-2 colds every year. Most sites I've seen and books I've read say running is good for cardiovascular health, not harmful. I'd like to know where that site you linked gets its info. Even if it's right, I wouldn't change. If it's not one thing that will get me, it will just be another. It's inevitable for us all sooner or later. Meanwhile, I'm enjoying life my own way. Tongue

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
23-11-2016, 10:53 PM
(23-11-2016 10:49 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(23-11-2016 03:49 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Grog read this. How Running and Endurance Training Can Shorten Your Life Tongue
Lol, I'm not worried. I literally get amazed looks from my doctor about how healthy my checkups are and I've had only 1 cold in the 4 years since I started running again. Prior to that, I had 1-2 colds every year. Most sites I've seen and books I've read say running is good for cardiovascular health, not harmful. I'd like to know where that site you linked gets its info. Even if it's right, I wouldn't change. If it's not one thing that will get me, it will just be another. It's inevitable for us all sooner or later. Meanwhile, I'm enjoying life my own way. Tongue

There's something about HGH (human growth hormone, I've read) that's released when we do squats (weights). I never ever get a cold as long as I do them 3 times a week. But I'll never know, cuz I run too .. so I'll never be able to tell.
Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
23-11-2016, 10:59 PM
(23-11-2016 03:49 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(23-11-2016 08:06 AM)Impulse Wrote:  Nah, Jim Fixx died from a heart attack and they determined he was genetically predisposed. Plus a lot has changed with running since then anyway regarding training, nutrition, hydration, etc.

Grog read this. How Running and Endurance Training Can Shorten Your Life Tongue

We'll see how that data holds up when zombies are thrown into the mix.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
24-11-2016, 12:50 AM

People who write this drivel seem to think telling us it's bad will stop us. If smoking cigarettes gave me the same feeling as running a marathon I'd be doing a pack a day.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
24-11-2016, 08:10 AM
(23-11-2016 10:59 PM)yakherder Wrote:  

We'll see how that data holds up when zombies are thrown into the mix.

Z-Nation zombies or pussy Walking Dead zombies?

#sigh
24-11-2016, 08:13 AM
(24-11-2016 12:50 AM)morondog Wrote:  People who write this drivel seem to think telling us it's bad will stop us. If smoking cigarettes gave me the same feeling as running a marathon I'd be doing a pack a day.

Ever lift a 400 lb rock off the ground .... naked? That'll give you a rush.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
24-11-2016, 08:19 AM
(24-11-2016 08:10 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(23-11-2016 10:59 PM)yakherder Wrote:  We'll see how that data holds up when zombies are thrown into the mix.

Z-Nation zombies or pussy Walking Dead zombies?

I imagine endurance would be helpful for either, but if it's the Z Nation zombies I think everyone is screwed. They're just too unpredictable.

'Murican Canadian
24-11-2016, 08:42 AM (This post was last modified: 24-11-2016 08:48 AM by GirlyMan.)
(23-11-2016 10:49 PM)Impulse Wrote:  I'd like to know where that site you linked gets its info.

It's a roid site. Big Grin The hormone info is accurate (haven't checked for studies on the cardiovascular indicator claims yet) but the dead man running pool is not helpful.
(23-11-2016 10:53 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  There's something about HGH (human growth hormone, I've read) that's released when we do squats (weights). I never ever get a cold as long as I do them 3 times a week.

They do. Testosterone as well. Hormonal responses after resistance exercise performed with maximum and submaximum movement velocities. Any big rock training does. Acute effect of resistance training volume on hormonal responses in trained men.

Most sites I've seen and books I've read say running is good for cardiovascular health, not harmful.

Sprinting is good, long-distance running not so much. You can get the same cardiovascular benefit from HITT in 1/20th of the time. The main point is cortisol bad, testosterone good. Lift big rock off ground raises testosterone and increases muscle mass, run fast long time lowers testosterone and decreases muscle mass. The bad guy cortisol is a cellular stressor with a tipping point where the cell can no longer be repaired (whereas big rock w/ testosterone, food, & rest repairs become reinforcements). Big rock raises cortisol more than run fast long but it is for a much shorter period of time giving the cells the opportunity to recover (which is one reason not to lift big rock too often, 3-4 days rest minimum, 5-7 better per muscle group) and you can attenuate the response by doing a few more reps slower instead of doing explosive movements.

You know I'm just making all this shit up as an excuse for not running right? Lift big rock off ground is lazy Grog way. Big Grin

(23-11-2016 10:53 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  But I'll never know, cuz I run too .. so I'll never be able to tell.
Weeping

You are so gay.

#sigh
24-11-2016, 08:53 AM
It's a tool for me, nothing more. I'm actually not a huge fan of running, but i like having the endurance in my pocket in case I need it. Sometimes it pays to be able to make some distance and still have some gas in the tank afterwards.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post
24-11-2016, 10:27 AM
(24-11-2016 08:53 AM)yakherder Wrote:  It's a tool for me, nothing more. I'm actually not a huge fan of running, but i like having the endurance in my pocket in case I need it. Sometimes it pays to be able to make some distance and still have some gas in the tank afterwards.

...as in when your life depends on it.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post