Atheists who work out

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
28-11-2016, 07:46 AM
RE: Atheists who work out
Born to Move

"Our bodies, and in particular our hearts, want to be worked, at least moderately, he says. When they are not, when our pulse rarely rises, pathology may set in.

So move, he says, and preferably often, since the need for activity seems to be built into our bones and hearts and being.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/23/well/m...ctionfront

Evolutionary biologists followed and monitored members of the Hadza tribe in Tanzania (hunter/gatherers) and here are the results. So get off your butts and go dig up some tubers for a healthy heart!

I haven’t been in the gym for a week since I have been spending hours a day clearing brush on an adjacent lot next to our house. My body is sore and there are muscles that hurt I didn’t know I had. Pulling up invasive Bowtie hemp (aka mother-in-law tongue Smile ), chainsaw cutting large limbs and fallen logs, using large loppers, machete, shovel, post hole digger, rake and the simple act of bending down to pick up debris hundreds of times a day has been exhausting.

Bonus; lost five pounds so far and the lot is looking beautiful!

This is what that plant looks like, its roots form a network and break off easily so you have to dig around to make sure you get them all.
[Image: $_75.JPG]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
28-11-2016, 08:45 AM
(26-11-2016 09:37 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Good luck on your race today, Impulse! Kick ass!

Edit: Oops just checked your post--Good luck tomorrow Tongue

Thanks jennybee!

I had fun, but I didn't exactly kick ass. I had never run this course before and it was tough. I went into the race thinking I might PR by about 10 minutes and at mile 20 I was on pace to do that too, but...

Between mile 14 and 20.5, it was all a long, slow, constant uphill incline. It wasn't much of an incline, probably not even 10% grade, but in the 2nd half of the race for over 6 miles straight, it got old! I knew we would turn around at 20.5 and come back down so all the while I kept my pace thinking the downhill would be easier. What I didn't count on was wind! As soon as we turned around, we were running straight into a headwind. It was actually harder than the uphill direction and it killed me. After 2 more miles, I had nothing left and ended up run-walking the last 4 miles. I couldn't even run more than 1/4 mile at a time. I finished about 3 minutes behind my PR.

The course was very pretty though and I had a great time. I'm not disappointed with my time because I know I was running great until I hit that wind. It is what it is and there will be future races to get that new PR. Today, my quads are dead though. I feel like I would do well as a walker on The Walking Dead right now hobbling along. Laugh out load

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 3 users Like Impulse's post
28-11-2016, 08:50 AM
(28-11-2016 08:45 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(26-11-2016 09:37 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Good luck on your race today, Impulse! Kick ass!

Thanks jennybee!

I had fun, but I didn't exactly kick ass. I had never run this course before and it was tough. I went into the race thinking I might PR by about 10 minutes and at mile 20 I was on pace to do that too, but...

Between mile 14 and 20.5, it was all a long, slow, constant uphill incline. It wasn't much of an incline, probably not even 10% grade, but in the 2nd half of the race for over 6 miles straight, it got old! I knew we would turn around at 20.5 and come back down so all the while I kept my pace thinking the downhill would be easier. What I didn't count on was wind! As soon as we turned around, we were running straight into a headwind. It was actually harder than the uphill direction and it killed me. After 2 more miles, I had nothing left and ended up run-walking the last 4 miles. I couldn't even run more than 1/4 mile at a time. I finished about 3 minutes behind my PR.

The course was very pretty though and I had a great time. I'm not disappointed with my time because I know I was running great until I hit that wind. It is what it is and there will be future races to get that new PR. Today, my quads are dead though. I feel like I would do well as a walker on The Walking Dead right now hobbling along. Laugh out load

You sound like you still did amazing though! My sister runs a lot and has done a few marathons. I used to run 12 miles a day but my knee was starting to feel it, that's one of the ways I actually got into yoga--to calm down my knee (which it did--no more knee pain). Then I fell in love with yoga and only run on occasion now--like two miles or so here and there with my dog.

I can understand your love of running though--it's how I feel about yoga. I think it's great to have something you enjoy doing and work hard at. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
28-11-2016, 09:08 AM
(28-11-2016 08:45 AM)Impulse Wrote:  

Thanks jennybee!

Congratulations on finishing, sounds like you could have used more impulse on the way back down. Big Grin

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
28-11-2016, 09:15 AM
(28-11-2016 08:50 AM)jennybee Wrote:  You sound like you still did amazing though! My sister runs a lot and has done a few marathons. I used to run 12 miles a day but my knee was starting to feel it, that's one of the ways I actually got into yoga--to calm down my knee (which it did--no more knee pain). Then I fell in love with yoga and only run on occasion now--like two miles or so here and there with my dog.

I can understand your love of running though--it's how I feel about yoga. I think it's great to have something you enjoy doing and work hard at. Heart
Everyone has their own sport and the important thing is to stay active whatever you choose. Yoga is great. It's funny though, I had the opposite experience regarding knees. I tried yoga about 15 years ago and stopped because I tore the meniscus in one knee and ended up having surgery to repair it. I probably wasn't doing something right, but it made me reluctant to go back to it. Yoga is supposed to be great for cross-training with running though so I have thought about it from time to time.

A lot of people stop running due to knee issues. However, a lot of knee issues are actually knee-strength issues and people don't realize that could continue running if they built up their knee strength first. I know you realize this and chose to stick with the yoga more, but a lot people believe their knees will never be better - even when I have explained it to them. Or the other thing is IT band syndrome (which I had for a while myself) which manifests as knee pain, but is usually due to lack of hip and core muscle strength. It's difficult to get rid of that, but it can be done.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
28-11-2016, 09:16 AM
(28-11-2016 09:08 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Congratulations on finishing, sounds like you could have used more impulse on the way back down. Big Grin
Thanks Full Circle! And yes, more impulse would have been great. Laugh out load

28-11-2016, 09:27 AM (This post was last modified: 28-11-2016 09:40 AM by jennybee.)
(28-11-2016 09:15 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(28-11-2016 08:50 AM)jennybee Wrote:  You sound like you still did amazing though! My sister runs a lot and has done a few marathons. I used to run 12 miles a day but my knee was starting to feel it, that's one of the ways I actually got into yoga--to calm down my knee (which it did--no more knee pain). Then I fell in love with yoga and only run on occasion now--like two miles or so here and there with my dog.

Everyone has their own sport and the important thing is to stay active whatever you choose. Yoga is great. It's funny though, I had the opposite experience regarding knees. I tried yoga about 15 years ago and stopped because I tore the meniscus in one knee and ended up having surgery to repair it. I probably wasn't doing something right, but it made me reluctant to go back to it. Yoga is supposed to be great for cross-training with running though so I have thought about it from time to time.

A lot of people stop running due to knee issues. However, a lot of knee issues are actually knee-strength issues and people don't realize that could continue running if they built up their knee strength first. I know you realize this and chose to stick with the yoga more, but a lot people believe their knees will never be better - even when I have explained it to them. Or the other thing is IT band syndrome (which I had for a while myself) which manifests as knee pain, but is usually due to lack of hip and core muscle strength. It's difficult to get rid of that, but it can be done.

In my case, I pushed myself too hard with running and did not take any days off when I should have or when I started to feel initial knee pain. If I had, I don't think I would have hurt my knee to the level I did. I also think if I was doing yoga simultaneously, I probably would not have hurt my knee at all. I think running is great as long as you are mindful of it (as with any other activity).

There are all different kinds of yoga. I think for running, yin or restorative yoga are great (you don't really have to worry about tearing anything since things are done so mindfully and slowly). Hatha or Iyengar are great too for core, balance, strength, endurance, stretching--and focus more on the poses and less on moving quickly (although there is an element of Vinyasa to Hatha). Since you run a lot, I would stay away from Ashtanga, Bikram, Power Yoga, Vinyasa Flow, and Kundalini. Also, find a qualified instructor and go to the correct level class. Just some ideas if you decide to get back to the yoga-ing Smile
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
28-11-2016, 07:51 PM
Just a short Kimura video that popped up in my Facebook Memories feed from 2011. Still get a bit of old school motivation out of it Flex

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
28-11-2016, 08:05 PM
(28-11-2016 07:51 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Just a short Kimura video that popped up in my Facebook Memories feed from 2011. Still get a bit of old school motivation out of it Flex

I love this part: (paraphrasing) I train hard....But someone somewhere can beat me...Because someone somewhere is training harder than me.

Words to live by if you want to achieve your dreams and be the best at whatever it is that you are passionate about--constantly pushing yourself to do your best at whatever it is that drives you.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
28-11-2016, 09:29 PM
Nice work, Impulse! Cool

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes Deidre32's post