Atheists who work out

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
15-12-2016, 11:10 AM
RE: Atheists who work out
(15-12-2016 11:01 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(15-12-2016 10:41 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Also seeing guys workout in their 30's, 40's, 50's is kinda hot from a female's perspective. Tongue
You knew you would get another "like" from this. It's the real reason you posted this, right? Wink

Well... Wink

No, it's really true. Other women I know do too.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
17-12-2016, 10:03 AM
I got back into working out 6 months or so ago. I started running, which is really pathetic seeing as how I smoked for 15 years and haven't ran a step since grade school. I wanted to hit the cardio hard though because I have a few pounds of belly fat that needs to go.

Unfortunately, after about 4 months of running (intervals) about 5 miles a day 5 days a week, I saw nothing. Zero. No weight loss (and I am watching my diet too) and no increase in either stamina or endurance.

So I dusted off my old Jillian Michaels workout DVD. After about 3 weeks I lost ten pounds doing the DVD 5 days a week and some shorter runs interspersed wherever I could throw them in.

I also became a vegetarian around the same time I started running, so I'm still learning how to get enough protein to fuel heavy workouts. And I started a B12 supplement. I didn't realize how low I was but man do I see a difference.

I messed up my knee somehow last week and haven't worked out since. As soon as I can walk up the stairs without it hurting I'll start again.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
[+] 4 users Like Ohio Sky's post
17-12-2016, 11:49 AM
(17-12-2016 10:03 AM)Ohio Sky Wrote:  I got back into working out 6 months or so ago. I started running, which is really pathetic seeing as how I smoked for 15 years and haven't ran a step since grade school. I wanted to hit the cardio hard though because I have a few pounds of belly fat that needs to go.

Unfortunately, after about 4 months of running (intervals) about 5 miles a day 5 days a week, I saw nothing. Zero. No weight loss (and I am watching my diet too) and no increase in either stamina or endurance.

So I dusted off my old Jillian Michaels workout DVD. After about 3 weeks I lost ten pounds doing the DVD 5 days a week and some shorter runs interspersed wherever I could throw them in.

I also became a vegetarian around the same time I started running, so I'm still learning how to get enough protein to fuel heavy workouts. And I started a B12 supplement. I didn't realize how low I was but man do I see a difference.

I messed up my knee somehow last week and haven't worked out since. As soon as I can walk up the stairs without it hurting I'll start again.

I'm vegan--make sure you take the right amount of B12 as well. Jack Norris from Vegan Health has a site on what type and how much you should take under his Daily Recommendations section. Heather Nicholds has a vegan protein calculator for workouts. Just google Heather Nicholds vegan protein calculator.

And congrats on the weight loss! I hope your knee feels better soon.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
19-12-2016, 12:22 PM
(17-12-2016 10:03 AM)Ohio Sky Wrote:  I got back into working out 6 months or so ago. I started running, which is really pathetic seeing as how I smoked for 15 years and haven't ran a step since grade school. I wanted to hit the cardio hard though because I have a few pounds of belly fat that needs to go.

Congrats on the weight loss! Keep up the good work! Thumbsup

I have always been underweight so I can't speak from personal experience, but I have heard running is not the best sport for weight loss. I'm not sure why that is, but I can say I have actually gained about 8 pounds since I started running. For me, I think it's because I run marathons which requires replacing a lot of calories after training. So I'm sure I eat more now than I did before I got back into running.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
19-12-2016, 12:41 PM
(19-12-2016 12:22 PM)Impulse Wrote:  

Congrats on the weight loss! Keep up the good work! Thumbsup

I have always been underweight so I can't speak from personal experience, but I have heard running is not the best sport for weight loss. I'm not sure why that is, but I can say I have actually gained about 8 pounds since I started running. For me, I think it's because I run marathons which requires replacing a lot of calories after training. So I'm sure I eat more now than I did before I got back into running.

When I first started I dropped from 95 kilos to 77, then yoyoed back to 85, where I am now. I'm not training as hard as I have been, I'll drop to 80 by mid-year.

Muscles weigh quite a lot. Running may not be good for losing weight but it makes you look good Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
19-12-2016, 01:30 PM
still walking every day, and losing weight. We are on a diet but that is material for another thread.
[+] 3 users Like skyking's post
19-12-2016, 11:50 PM
(19-12-2016 01:30 PM)skyking Wrote:  still walking every day, and losing weight. We are on a diet but that is material for another thread.

Actually it's not the wrong thread. Diet is a very important part of keeping fit. Working out is one aspect, but if you eat a rubbish diet, working out only gets you so far. I'm pretty bad like that.

Anyway today I've just run 15k. Decent pace. Trying to keep it going through Christmas, so that when January hits I'll be strong Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
20-12-2016, 12:14 AM
I meant it is a topic unto itself. I will be posting a thread about it soon enough. I wanted to wait and see how it goes before talking much about it.
[+] 2 users Like skyking's post
21-12-2016, 03:32 PM
On my way out the door for my run last night... legs were feeling tired already from the previous couple of days... I decided to run just 3 miles at an easy pace. After about a mile of running at a 9 min/mile pace, I decided to increase the distance to 5 miles. Just before 2 miles, I had to cross a busy street. When I got to the other side, my watch said I was running 7:30 min/mile pace, but it didn't feel like it. So I decided to see how long I could keep it up. I lasted another 2 miles at that pace. Then I took it easy for the last mile to cool down. It was kind of a surprising run given how tired I felt going out the door. Smile

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
21-12-2016, 03:42 PM
I must admit I was inspired by the Statham video Jenny posted in the other thread. To that end, I detached the heavy bag and got to playing around with it like a combo sandbag / ground and pound dummy. Not a bad idea.

I ended up making a circuit that essentially evolved doing a deadlift then tossing it over my head as hard as I could, sprinting after it, mounting it, throwing a few elbows, then repeat.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post