Atheists who work out

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
27-12-2016, 11:39 PM
RE: Atheists who work out
I hear that, yakatack.
I did a little last night, got up early and now I am at my trailer working on my truck. I'm cold, wet, and with no desire to work out or walk. Off and on heavy rain or rain/snow mix. I had to winterize the trailer due to a cold snap, so no running water. Catching rainwater in a bucket and spit bath in a plastic basin.
I will go home tomorrow night, do some appointments and come back up here Thursday to finish the truck off and get back to some routine.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like skyking's post
31-12-2016, 10:04 AM
(24-12-2016 08:05 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(24-12-2016 07:21 PM)Ohio Sky Wrote:  It really varies from person to person, but the most important consistent thing is making sure you're in a calorie deficit. I personally am really not worried about how much I weigh as I'm more muscular and broader shouldered than most women anyways. I'm never going to be lean and petite. I just want the belly fat gone! lol

I could do exactly 0 of those. Blink Blink

You gotta work up to it Tongue I have to admit I'm kind of obsessive about yoga (in a good way Big Grin ) But I couldn't do all the poses when I first started. However, over time your body adapts into various shapes.

I've always been really flexible, just naturally and had pretty decent upper body strength just from working out, but you don't really need either of those things to start yoga. If you take it in baby steps, I bet you could get there too Thumbsup or even if you can't, it doesn't matter, true yoga is about doing what you can do and honoring where you are.

I've done yoga before. I took a yoga class probably 8 years ago now and I really enjoyed it. I stuck with it for about a year but never saw any real improvement in my flexibility or anything. But I did love the calming effects and felt like my balance was better and I was overall more in tune with my body. The thing was, I only felt like this during class. I never could get the same feeling at home. Something about having the instructor verbalize the moves and the calming sound of her voice really worked for me. I can't get the same effect with yoga videos or anything, and I just don't have the time or money to take yoga classes forever. Undecided

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
31-12-2016, 10:13 AM
(31-12-2016 10:04 AM)Ohio Sky Wrote:  
(24-12-2016 08:05 PM)jennybee Wrote:  You gotta work up to it Tongue I have to admit I'm kind of obsessive about yoga (in a good way Big Grin ) But I couldn't do all the poses when I first started. However, over time your body adapts into various shapes.

I've always been really flexible, just naturally and had pretty decent upper body strength just from working out, but you don't really need either of those things to start yoga. If you take it in baby steps, I bet you could get there too Thumbsup or even if you can't, it doesn't matter, true yoga is about doing what you can do and honoring where you are.

I've done yoga before. I took a yoga class probably 8 years ago now and I really enjoyed it. I stuck with it for about a year but never saw any real improvement in my flexibility or anything. But I did love the calming effects and felt like my balance was better and I was overall more in tune with my body. The thing was, I only felt like this during class. I never could get the same feeling at home. Something about having the instructor verbalize the moves and the calming sound of her voice really worked for me. I can't get the same effect with yoga videos or anything, and I just don't have the time or money to take yoga classes forever. Undecided

Re: flexibility--It could have been the instructor not holding poses long enough and it could also have been due to the style of class you were taking. In a power or circuit yoga class (which is more gym style yoga, poses aren't held for very long because emphasis is more on movement than on sustaining of poses). If it's specifically improved flexibility you are going for, I highly recommend yin yoga.

I mix up my yoga practice all the time with Ashtanga, Kundalini, Iyengar, Hatha, Vinyasa Flow, Restorative, Yin, etc. The variety keeps it fun, but each style also provides different benefits that some of the other styles don't.

I think classes are more fun than doing videos--totally agree with you there. Some studios do offer free classes once in awhile or daily, so you could check on their websites and see if any near you do as well.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
31-12-2016, 10:24 AM
(31-12-2016 10:13 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(31-12-2016 10:04 AM)Ohio Sky Wrote:  I've done yoga before. I took a yoga class probably 8 years ago now and I really enjoyed it. I stuck with it for about a year but never saw any real improvement in my flexibility or anything. But I did love the calming effects and felt like my balance was better and I was overall more in tune with my body. The thing was, I only felt like this during class. I never could get the same feeling at home. Something about having the instructor verbalize the moves and the calming sound of her voice really worked for me. I can't get the same effect with yoga videos or anything, and I just don't have the time or money to take yoga classes forever. Undecided

Re: flexibility--It could have been the instructor not holding poses long enough and it could also have been due to the style of class you were taking. In a power or circuit yoga class (which is more gym style yoga, poses aren't held for very long because emphasis is more on movement than on sustaining of poses). If it's specifically improved flexibility you are going for, I highly recommend yin yoga.

I mix up my yoga practice all the time with Ashtanga, Kundalini, Iyengar, Hatha, Vinyasa Flow, Restorative, Yin, etc. The variety keeps it fun, but each style also provides different benefits that some of the other styles don't.

I think classes are more fun than doing videos--totally agree with you there. Some studios do offer free classes once in awhile or daily, so you could check on their websites and see if any near you do as well.

Have you ever done aerial yoga? I'd like to try it.

It's hard for me to be upside down for a long period of time though. I have sinus problems.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
31-12-2016, 10:28 AM
(31-12-2016 10:24 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(31-12-2016 10:13 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Re: flexibility--It could have been the instructor not holding poses long enough and it could also have been due to the style of class you were taking. In a power or circuit yoga class (which is more gym style yoga, poses aren't held for very long because emphasis is more on movement than on sustaining of poses). If it's specifically improved flexibility you are going for, I highly recommend yin yoga.

Have you ever done aerial yoga? I'd like to try it.

It's hard for me to be upside down for a long period of time though. I have sinus problems.

Yes, I have a yoga trapeze at my house Tongue Very fun!
31-12-2016, 10:28 AM
(31-12-2016 10:24 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Have you ever done aerial yoga? I'd like to try it.

My wife got my 22yo daughter one of them yoga swings for christmas. Now me and her brothers have heard of swings for specific activities before, but not for yoga. We couldn't stop laughing. "IT'S A YOGA SWING DAD!"

#sigh
[+] 7 users Like GirlyMan's post
31-12-2016, 10:32 AM
This is what I have. Here's an example class I found online:

[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
31-12-2016, 10:39 AM
(31-12-2016 10:28 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(31-12-2016 10:24 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Have you ever done aerial yoga? I'd like to try it.

My wife got my 22yo daughter one of them yoga swings for christmas. Now me and her brothers have heard of swings for specific activities before, but not for yoga. We couldn't stop laughing. "IT'S A YOGA SWING DAD!"

Well, you could use them for other activities if you wanted to Wink
31-12-2016, 11:42 AM
(31-12-2016 10:39 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(31-12-2016 10:28 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  My wife got my 22yo daughter one of them yoga swings for christmas. Now me and her brothers have heard of swings for specific activities before, but not for yoga. We couldn't stop laughing. "IT'S A YOGA SWING DAD!"

Well, you could use them for other activities if you wanted to Wink

One could buy a stripper pole AND a Yoga swing...... couldn't one......? ......Consider

[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
31-12-2016, 11:47 AM
How 'bout this lady....she's pretty fit. Wow.

[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post