Atheists who work out

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
07-01-2017, 07:19 PM
RE: Atheists who work out
(07-01-2017 03:35 PM)Ohio Sky Wrote:  
(05-01-2017 07:43 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Have you ladies tried St John's Wort? I know women who have benefited from it.
I have not. I have endometriosis though, I'm not sure much will help me short of a hysterectomy. Worth a try though.

I'm going to look into it too. Midol does nothing for me.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-01-2017, 07:31 PM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2017 12:59 AM by jennybee.)
My pretty new yoga mat Smile

Edit: I gotta redo this and post later, for some reason my pic is cut off at my head when I went to crop it Hobo Pizza, beer, and resizing pics so they don't have the yellow percentage thing on top don't mix Tongue
10-01-2017, 12:33 PM
Happy New Year everyone!
(Late I know, sorry, I haven't been on the board for a week or so.)

I'm still keeping up with my running. Ran 8 miles last night - in the dark on a trail in the woods with a headlamp. It was a bit eerie, but I wanted to stay off the pavement because my shoes are reaching end of life. I saw some animal eyes staring back at me a couple of times, but they were small so I wasn't concerned; one was clearly just a rabbit. I'll probably replace my running shoes this weekend.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 3 users Like Impulse's post
10-01-2017, 12:43 PM
I've actually been slacking on my running lately. I still mix sprints into my circuits, particularly hill sprints, but I haven't done a single measured run since deciding to leave the military this coming May and therefore no longer having a specific need to maintain a good two mile time.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
10-01-2017, 02:51 PM
(10-01-2017 12:43 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I've actually been slacking on my running lately. I still mix sprints into my circuits, particularly hill sprints, but I haven't done a single measured run since deciding to leave the military this coming May and therefore no longer having a specific need to maintain a good two mile time.
Yeah, it's just way too easy to slack off when there is no specific goal to keep the motivation going. Without the obligation, there are all kinds of other uses for that same time period that can take precedence. Or maybe it's just extra sleep. I'm not currently signed up for a race and have been fighting the same thing. So I'm trying to look at it like brushing my teeth. Running is just something I do and not really a choice. After all, it's for health as well. But it sounds like you aren't completely slacking anyway since you're doing the circuits, so good job for that.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
10-01-2017, 03:16 PM
(10-01-2017 02:51 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(10-01-2017 12:43 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I've actually been slacking on my running lately. I still mix sprints into my circuits, particularly hill sprints, but I haven't done a single measured run since deciding to leave the military this coming May and therefore no longer having a specific need to maintain a good two mile time.
Yeah, it's just way too easy to slack off when there is no specific goal to keep the motivation going. Without the obligation, there are all kinds of other uses for that same time period that can take precedence. Or maybe it's just extra sleep. I'm not currently signed up for a race and have been fighting the same thing. So I'm trying to look at it like brushing my teeth. Running is just something I do and not really a choice. After all, it's for health as well. But it sounds like you aren't completely slacking anyway since you're doing the circuits, so good job for that.

What helps keep me motivated is keeping my workouts fresh by mixing things up. Luckily, with yoga there are so many different styles, so I don't ever get bored. I do like to mix it up once in awhile by alternating class styles, and on some occasions, I'll break things down into 15 minute increments for a total of 90 minutes. Basically, every 15 minutes something changes. So it looks something like this:

15 hatha
15 vinyasa flow
15 ashtanga
15 iyengar
15 kundalini
15 yin-restorative/pranayama/meditation

When I used to run a lot, I would mix up longer runs with hiit workouts on the treadmill where I could adjust my speed and incline quickly. I also ran stairs on other days and did a circuit training workout specifically targeted for runners. I also think changing scenery--like trail running keeps things fun. Obviously, depending on where you live that could be difficult this time of year Wink

When I don't really feel like doing anything, I have a 15 minute rule. I make myself get up and workout for fifteen mins. If I want to stop after that and do nothing else, I tell myself that's okay. I always end up doing more. I feel like you just gotta get yourself into the workout zone and then once your there, the rest just falls into place.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
10-01-2017, 03:21 PM
(10-01-2017 03:16 PM)jennybee Wrote:  When I don't really feel like doing anything, I have a 15 minute rule. I make myself get up and workout for fifteen mins. If I want to stop after that and do nothing else, I tell myself that's okay. I always end up doing more. I feel like you just gotta get yourself into the workout zone and then once your there, the rest just falls into place.
Yeah variety can really help especially if you get bored with one activity. I know a lot of people get bored with running in particular, but for some reason I never do. I definitely agree about getting into the zone. There have been many times when I felt tired or not particularly in the mood to go running, but as soon as I'm out the door and on my way, the energy comes and I end up doing more (further or faster) than planned.

[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
10-01-2017, 03:31 PM
(10-01-2017 03:21 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(10-01-2017 03:16 PM)jennybee Wrote:  When I don't really feel like doing anything, I have a 15 minute rule. I make myself get up and workout for fifteen mins. If I want to stop after that and do nothing else, I tell myself that's okay. I always end up doing more. I feel like you just gotta get yourself into the workout zone and then once your there, the rest just falls into place.
Yeah variety can really help especially if you get bored with one activity. I know a lot of people get bored with running in particular, but for some reason I never do. I definitely agree about getting into the zone. There have been many times when I felt tired or not particularly in the mood to go running, but as soon as I'm out the door and on my way, the energy comes and I end up doing more (further or faster) than planned.

I like listening to music too--I always find that motivates me when I'm feeling meh. Also re: your previous post on the bunny eyes you saw peering out at you--You could pretend this is waiting for you in the woods so you'll run faster Laugh out load

[Image: slide_346187_3636350_free.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
11-01-2017, 09:42 AM
(10-01-2017 03:31 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I like listening to music too--I always find that motivates me when I'm feeling meh. Also re: your previous post on the bunny eyes you saw peering out at you--You could pretend this is waiting for you in the woods so you'll run faster Laugh out load

Same here about the music. I listen to different kinds depending on the workout. If I want to do an easy run, I listen to slow-paced pop music. If I want to run fast and long, I listen to fast-paced pop and rock. If I'm doing speed-work, I listen to Two Steps From Hell (if you don't know them, they play movie trailer music). The energy in their music is very uplifting. With rock music, you can still slow down when tired because the beat is fairly constant. With movie trailer music, the songs are short and most of them build in energy so it gets you going again when you're tired.

It's funny about that picture because we do have some black bears in the area. They're usually further out from where I was running, but they can occasionally stray. I'm always thinking my headlamp is probably like a beacon attracting attention. So I'm always scanning the woods intently when I run there in the dark and I do tend to run a bit faster. So no scary rabbit is needed. Oh and I don't play my music then either so I can hear if anything is coming. Smile

[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
11-01-2017, 10:05 AM
I've just gotten back into ice skating. Used to play hockey years ago but one too many separated shoulders means I don't play anymore. But it does feel good to get back on the ice and just skate around for a while.
[+] 3 users Like Heath_Tierney's post