Atheists who work out

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
24-01-2017, 08:37 PM
RE: Atheists who work out
(24-01-2017 08:20 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(24-01-2017 07:46 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  Got a later start to my run tonight, but it went awesome. Ran only a little over 4 miles, but ran like I stole it. lol Wink

I hate running in the dark. Really hate hate hate it. Idk...I just feel like an animal will come out of the woods and attack me. Probably a silly concern, but it makes me run faster. Unsure

http://www.active.com/running/articles/9...night-runs

I probably shouldn't run with my ear buds, because it's true...at night...we should be aware of what's happening around us, even more so than a day run.

I'm the opposite. I love running at night. But your fears are not completely unfounded, depending on where you're at Tongue. I never run with noise isolating ear buds, and I do hear animals from time to time. I kind of like the feeling that I'm being watched lol.

That said, this is a well known incident in Canada...
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/bear-kille...r-1.216612

It's rare but it happens. And apparently she was wearing a Walkman.

Being attacked by an animal doesn't scare me as much as a potential attack from a male. That alone is a good reason not to wear earbuds at night. That is what attackers look for--that you are not paying attention and you cannot hear them coming up behind you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
24-01-2017, 10:18 PM
(24-01-2017 03:04 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Laugh out load

Those were funny. Early on in the NBC Late Night one, I found myself thinking "he's not really from Massachusetts" because I could tell he was faking the accent. Then, of course, it became obvious that he was supposed to be faking it. Smile

They even picked up on "wicked"! Laugh out load

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
24-01-2017, 10:22 PM
(24-01-2017 07:46 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  Got a later start to my run tonight, but it went awesome. Ran only a little over 4 miles, but ran like I stole it. lol Wink

I hate running in the dark. Really hate hate hate it. Idk...I just feel like an animal will come out of the woods and attack me. Probably a silly concern, but it makes me run faster. Unsure

http://www.active.com/running/articles/9...night-runs

I probably shouldn't run with my ear buds, because it's true...at night...we should be aware of what's happening around us, even more so than a day run.
I actually like running in the dark, but only since I got a headlamp. Now I can see really well. It's true about the ear buds, but I wear mine too. I keep the volume very low so I can still hear most sounds though.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
24-01-2017, 10:34 PM
(24-01-2017 08:20 PM)yakherder Wrote:  That said, this is a well known incident in Canada...
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/bear-kille...r-1.216612

It's rare but it happens. And apparently she was wearing a Walkman.

Ugh, we do have some black bears in the area. I recently posted about that because I was running on a trail in the dark (no ear buds though when I do that). That story makes me think twice. Confused I do know that you aren't supposed to run from a bear. You're supposed to raise your hands up high to make yourself as large as possible, face the bear, and yell "back off" (I'm sure yelling anything is the same). I hope I never get to try it out though! It sounds like that woman was completely caught by surprise. Sad

25-01-2017, 05:39 PM
I better never see a bear when I'm out running. Omg. Angry

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes Deidre32's post
25-01-2017, 07:20 PM
(25-01-2017 05:39 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  I better never see a bear when I'm out running. Omg. Angry

Due to the frequency of human-bear encounters, the B.C. Fish and Wildlife Branch is advising hikers, hunters, fishermen and any persons that use the out of doors in a recreational or work related function to take extra precautions while in the field.

We advise the outdoorsman to wear little noisy bells on clothing so as to give advanced warning to any bears that might be close by so you don’t take them by surprise.

We also advise anyone using the out-of-doors to carry “Pepper Spray” with him is case of an encounter with a bear.

Outdoorsmen should also be on the watch for fresh bear activity, and be able to tell the difference between black bear feces and grizzly bear feces. Black bear feces is smaller and contains lots of berries and squirrel fur. Grizzly bear shit has bells in it and smells like pepper.

Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
25-01-2017, 07:53 PM
(25-01-2017 07:20 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(25-01-2017 05:39 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  I better never see a bear when I'm out running. Omg. Angry

Due to the frequency of human-bear encounters, the B.C. Fish and Wildlife Branch is advising hikers, hunters, fishermen and any persons that use the out of doors in a recreational or work related function to take extra precautions while in the field.

We advise the outdoorsman to wear little noisy bells on clothing so as to give advanced warning to any bears that might be close by so you don’t take them by surprise.

We also advise anyone using the out-of-doors to carry “Pepper Spray” with him is case of an encounter with a bear.

Outdoorsmen should also be on the watch for fresh bear activity, and be able to tell the difference between black bear feces and grizzly bear feces. Black bear feces is smaller and contains lots of berries and squirrel fur. Grizzly bear shit has bells in it and smells like pepper.

Big Grin

Pepper spray is kind of unreliable on humans, but it will stop almost any wild animal dead in its tracks. In that regards, there is a disadvantage to having such a heightened sense of smell and sight compared to humans in that said spray will completely fuck your world up Tongue

'Murican Canadian
25-01-2017, 08:12 PM
Got some new yoga toe stretchers, wearing them now. Sooooooo comfortable Heart
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
25-01-2017, 08:47 PM
(25-01-2017 07:53 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(25-01-2017 07:20 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Due to the frequency of human-bear encounters, the B.C. Fish and Wildlife Branch is advising hikers, hunters, fishermen and any persons that use the out of doors in a recreational or work related function to take extra precautions while in the field.

Big Grin

Pepper spray is kind of unreliable on humans, but it will stop almost any wild animal dead in its tracks. In that regards, there is a disadvantage to having such a heightened sense of smell and sight compared to humans in that said spray will completely fuck your world up Tongue

And unless you are armed, the best thing to do is tip toe quietly away before the bear recovers, because the fecal missiles are going to hit the rotating blades upon recovery, if you are still in the vicinity. Yes
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
26-01-2017, 03:40 PM
(25-01-2017 07:20 PM)Fireball Wrote:  We advise the outdoorsman to wear little noisy bells on clothing so as to give advanced warning to any bears that might be close by so you don’t take them by surprise.

That's interesting. I was under the assumption that it was best not to attract attention to yourself. So apparently, it's just the opposite. I was concerned about my headlamp essentially screaming "here's dinner right over here; come and get it". I'm sure it's not as good as the bells though since even the headlamp could take them by surprise.