Atheists who work out

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
26-01-2017, 03:48 PM
RE: Atheists who work out
(26-01-2017 03:40 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(25-01-2017 07:20 PM)Fireball Wrote:  We advise the outdoorsman to wear little noisy bells on clothing so as to give advanced warning to any bears that might be close by so you don’t take them by surprise.

That's interesting. I was under the assumption that it was best not to attract attention to yourself. So apparently, it's just the opposite. I was concerned about my headlamp essentially screaming "here's dinner right over here; come and get it". I'm sure it's not as good as the bells though since even the headlamp could take them by surprise.

You are statistically safer operating under the assumption that they're more scared of you than you are of them, and that they will therefore want to be long gone if they hear you coming. When they attack it's because you startled them and they were either defending themselves or saw you running and instinct kicked in and they ate you before they had a chance to realize that you're not food.

There are the exceptions where this is not the case, but if you're playing the odds you just have to hope that it's not one of those exceptions you come across and put on the proverbial bells Big Grin

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
26-01-2017, 11:29 PM
(26-01-2017 03:40 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(25-01-2017 07:20 PM)Fireball Wrote:  We advise the outdoorsman to wear little noisy bells on clothing so as to give advanced warning to any bears that might be close by so you don’t take them by surprise.

That's interesting. I was under the assumption that it was best not to attract attention to yourself. So apparently, it's just the opposite. I was concerned about my headlamp essentially screaming "here's dinner right over here; come and get it". I'm sure it's not as good as the bells though since even the headlamp could take them by surprise.

Did you read the rest of his post?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
27-01-2017, 08:38 AM
(26-01-2017 11:29 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(26-01-2017 03:40 PM)Impulse Wrote:  That's interesting. I was under the assumption that it was best not to attract attention to yourself. So apparently, it's just the opposite. I was concerned about my headlamp essentially screaming "here's dinner right over here; come and get it". I'm sure it's not as good as the bells though since even the headlamp could take them by surprise.

Did you read the rest of his post?

Yes, why?

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
27-01-2017, 08:01 PM
So, I haven't worked out in two days, I'm horrible. Weeping

But, tomorrow the gym! I think I've been run down this week, had a couple of nights of weird sleep, so glad the weekend is here.

Be true to yourself. Heart
28-01-2017, 02:33 AM
(27-01-2017 08:38 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(26-01-2017 11:29 PM)morondog Wrote:  Did you read the rest of his post?

Yes, why?

It's a joke... You don't... generally find good ideas for avoiding bears in jokes whose main premise is people getting eaten by bears.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
28-01-2017, 08:05 AM
(28-01-2017 02:33 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(27-01-2017 08:38 AM)Impulse Wrote:  Yes, why?

It's a joke... You don't... generally find good ideas for avoiding bears in jokes whose main premise is people getting eaten by bears.

The best way to avoid getting eaten by bears is to eat the bears Big Grin

'Murican Canadian
28-01-2017, 11:16 AM
Do bears run fast though? Like are they running an 7 mm or better? Laugh out load

28-01-2017, 12:06 PM
(28-01-2017 11:16 AM)Deidre32 Wrote:  Do bears run fast though? Like are they running an 7 mm or better? Laugh out load

They don't have long distance endurance, but at short distances they can outrun a race horse. They're also quite adept at navigating hills and obstacles without getting slowed down. I wouldn't suggest testing your luck Tongue

'Murican Canadian
28-01-2017, 01:36 PM
(28-01-2017 02:33 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(27-01-2017 08:38 AM)Impulse Wrote:  Yes, why?

Oh, LOL, I guess that one went over my head. Blush

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
28-01-2017, 03:52 PM
5 miles today, pretty steady pace run. I haven't been timing my pace for a while, unless I'm working on speed. It is distracting I've found, and takes away the fun of running sometimes. Then, did about 30 minutes of light strength training afterwards. Tomorrow, more of an intense gym CF workout planned.

There's no animals to worry about at the gym, so that's always a plus.

[+] 1 user Likes Deidre32's post