Atheists who work out

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
01-02-2017, 07:00 PM
RE: Atheists who work out
I've NEVER been late to a party. 258 pages later I've finally found this thread. Thumbsup

I highly recommend doing something unhealthy to be healthy. For me that is mountain biking mainly. Facepalm I guess it's not much different than running alongside a busy street but I digress. When I'm not MB'ing due to unwanted rain or injuries sustained from MB'ing, I'm running.

Where I live there are plenty of MB trails so I'd be surprised if the same weren't true in most populated areas. I've taken others out riding with me whom have gone through basic training and other activities during some point of their lives with mixed results. I've been on rides I thought I was going to die due to exhaustion. Love it. Laugh out load But seriously as far as entertaining workouts go MB'ing is up there. During good months I ride about 3 times a week and travel around 10 miles each ride with a small 5 min break in the middle of the ride preferably atop a bluff for good measure. Thumbsup Ends up being about an hour-ish ride. Pack a water, a snack, some tunes/the thinking atheist podcast, and enjoy greatness! Highly recommended but stay safe and keep a sane pace please! Big Grin

One more recommendation if I may. Recently I trained MMA for about 2 1/2 yrs. I trained Jujitsu one day and Thai Kickboxing the next once a week. Probably the best I felt for a 2 year period ever. I mixed in my MB'ing and weight lifting on days I wasn't training so I'm sure that also had something to do with it but I can't stress enough how valuable the training was. I seriously recommend that everyone at least train in some type of fight discipline of some kind with Jujitsu being the preferred. What I liked about the gym I attended is that we'd spend half an hour on techniques and the other half on strengthening/cardio. I plan to hit up another gym if I happen to come across one that meets expectations. Just haven't found one yet. Weeping
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like dirtstar's post
01-02-2017, 08:35 PM
The guy I paired with today in BJJ was a ringer. My instructor lied to me and said the guy was a beginner lol. On the upside, getting my ass handed to me for an hour was a marvelous workout, and I assuredly got more training out of it than he did. Hell he probably felt like I do when my 5 year old tries to wrestle with me. I think I'm gonna go to bed and die now.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 4 users Like yakherder's post
02-02-2017, 06:09 PM
(01-02-2017 07:00 PM)dirtstar Wrote:  I've NEVER been late to a party. 258 pages later I've finally found this thread. Thumbsup

I highly recommend doing something unhealthy to be healthy. For me that is mountain biking mainly. Facepalm I guess it's not much different than running alongside a busy street but I digress. When I'm not MB'ing due to unwanted rain or injuries sustained from MB'ing, I'm running.

Where I live there are plenty of MB trails so I'd be surprised if the same weren't true in most populated areas. I've taken others out riding with me whom have gone through basic training and other activities during some point of their lives with mixed results. I've been on rides I thought I was going to die due to exhaustion. Love it. Laugh out load But seriously as far as entertaining workouts go MB'ing is up there. During good months I ride about 3 times a week and travel around 10 miles each ride with a small 5 min break in the middle of the ride preferably atop a bluff for good measure. Thumbsup Ends up being about an hour-ish ride. Pack a water, a snack, some tunes/the thinking atheist podcast, and enjoy greatness! Highly recommended but stay safe and keep a sane pace please! Big Grin

One more recommendation if I may. Recently I trained MMA for about 2 1/2 yrs. I trained Jujitsu one day and Thai Kickboxing the next once a week. Probably the best I felt for a 2 year period ever. I mixed in my MB'ing and weight lifting on days I wasn't training so I'm sure that also had something to do with it but I can't stress enough how valuable the training was. I seriously recommend that everyone at least train in some type of fight discipline of some kind with Jujitsu being the preferred. What I liked about the gym I attended is that we'd spend half an hour on techniques and the other half on strengthening/cardio. I plan to hit up another gym if I happen to come across one that meets expectations. Just haven't found one yet. Weeping

Welcome to the thread, better late than never Big Grin

I went for a run tonight, pretty quick...3.5 miles, and it was meh, just ok. I felt mentally distracted, and usually running pulls me totally into a zone, but not today. Anyways, still a run is a run is a run. Tomorrow, CF at the gym. Thumbsup

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 2 users Like Deidre32's post
02-02-2017, 06:34 PM
(01-02-2017 08:35 PM)yakherder Wrote:  The guy I paired with today in BJJ was a ringer. My instructor lied to me and said the guy was a beginner lol. On the upside, getting my ass handed to me for an hour was a marvelous workout, and I assuredly got more training out of it than he did. Hell he probably felt like I do when my 5 year old tries to wrestle with me. I think I'm gonna go to bed and die now.

That's awesome. I once had to pair up with my instructor for rolls and got stuck in a choke. I don't remember which choke he used but I felt like a bone was broken in my neck for 2 weeks afterwards. Blush Weeping Only happened once in almost 3 yrs of training so that's not bad. I'd still recommend it. Big Grin
04-02-2017, 07:26 PM
6.5 mile run today, it went great! Started out slow, and then kept a nice pace the rest of the way. Then, did some bw exercises, and ab work. Watched the movie Everest with my fiance and that leaves you sad, yet inspired. Sad in what happened to some of the climbers, inspired because Everest would be an amazing feat. I don't think I'd make it because of the altitude issues. That seems to be the toughest part for all climbers.

[+] 2 users Like Deidre32's post
05-02-2017, 04:16 PM
5 mile run today w/fiance. It was great, but I'm feeling tired from yesterday and today. lol We're supposed to go to a SB party, and I might fall asleep there. I wonder if that would be rude? Consider

Don't care who wins, so it'll be fun to just chill, eat and watch the game with our friends. Cool I'm excited because one of our friends who is coming to this is a vegetarian and her dishes are healthy and delicious.

[+] 4 users Like Deidre32's post
05-02-2017, 06:14 PM
(05-02-2017 04:16 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  5 mile run today w/fiance. It was great, but I'm feeling tired from yesterday and today. lol We're supposed to go to a SB party, and I might fall asleep there. I wonder if that would be rude? Consider

Don't care who wins, so it'll be fun to just chill, eat and watch the game with our friends. Cool I'm excited because one of our friends who is coming to this is a vegetarian and her dishes are healthy and delicious.

I don't think I've ever sat through more than a few minutes of a pro football game. I don't know how anyone can not fall asleep Tongue. Maybe I'm just weird.

High school football was a fun event to go to because I actually knew the players, cheerleaders, etc. Beyond that, I could never get into the enthusiasm.

'Murican Canadian
05-02-2017, 07:05 PM
(05-02-2017 06:14 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(05-02-2017 04:16 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  5 mile run today w/fiance. It was great, but I'm feeling tired from yesterday and today. lol We're supposed to go to a SB party, and I might fall asleep there. I wonder if that would be rude? Consider

I don't think I've ever sat through more than a few minutes of a pro football game. I don't know how anyone can not fall asleep Tongue. Maybe I'm just weird.

High school football was a fun event to go to because I actually knew the players, cheerleaders, etc. Beyond that, I could never get into the enthusiasm.

It's all about the commercials! Thumbsup

And Lady Gaga. Smile

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
05-02-2017, 07:07 PM
(05-02-2017 07:05 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(05-02-2017 06:14 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I don't think I've ever sat through more than a few minutes of a pro football game. I don't know how anyone can not fall asleep Tongue. Maybe I'm just weird.

It's all about the commercials! Thumbsup

And Lady Gaga. Smile

True, but I'd rather just see the memes and catch up on the commercials on YouTube.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
08-02-2017, 02:35 PM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2017 02:48 PM by yakherder.)
Last night we got a blanket of snow that was just dry enough to stick and be considered snow and wet enough that it was heavy as shit. Shoveling today was a bit more of a workout than normal.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post